A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

S.Q. - The Story.

Zal

SQ-Promo-Logo2-1.png

I think it's quite safe to say I'm Bruce Willis.

I don't die.

:omg:

Anyway for all of you who remember this game I applaud you on not forgetting about me. There was sort of a hiatus period there where no one (not even the creator incidentally) knew what the bloody hell was going on. Now it seems I do. Let me point out first and most importantly that until completion, ET:CF is my main concern from now on. This game will be in main creation from me after the full and utter awesomeness of ET:CF has been achieved.

Until then however, let me fill you in on a few things.

This game has changed immensely over the past... umm... three or four years now. Some of you may be saying "but aww mee gawd SQ has only been around for about 8 months", and that is where you fail in the correct department. This game started long ago in the midst when it was called "Sonic The Hedgehog: Chaos Shift". For those of you who remember, that actually started to go somewhere, and if I ever find the BETA test for that again, I'll put that in this thread in a heart beat. ;)

EDIT: Thanks to dear Rael, it was found: http://www.rael0505.com/download/SCS%20Engine%20Test%20%5bincomplete%5d.zip

After which, SCS died. Only to be zombified later on that year which was 2004. SCS lived a surprisingly long, boring life. It didn't really start to go anywhere within about six more months of its pitiful life so I canned it and most of the details with it. Now for any of you who know me, I can't stand not being involved in something for a period of time, and I should have been paying much more attention to ET:CF than I should have, but that's a completely different kettle of fish. Anyhow, this eventually led to SQ being born. SQ was a hybrid of all my ideas and designs I'd burrowed away over the past years, and I decided to put them all to good use.

Now I'm a graphics and ideas man, which led me to some strife when it came to the coding side of town. Yet I still wanted to learn, so off I went. I learnt MMF using some basic tutorials from SFGHQ and I got myself to the level of being competent. A good friend, Xoram, had recently driven himself into the world of Game Maker. This left his old SPA engine abandoned. I ended up taking it under my wing and inserting it into SQ. Along with the engine came some of SPA's original charm. The HUD, menu graphics and a few minor special effects crept their way into SQ which had also been left behind.

Fear not though, because Xoram re-made all of his graphics for his project when he ported over to GM.

So by this stage, I had an engine, a story.. but no sprite. There was one other sprite however that I remembered that had been since lost and forgotten, which was the SM sprite by Nate. This was basically the Holy Grail of sprites to me and the ultimate prize to come from Nate's design. Long story shortened, the SM sprite was in on the project. Now I had basically a world on a plate when it came to fangames. This project had basically become a whole collection of previous games that didn't make it or got remade.

Then finally something happened (or not for that matter), I lost interest. The story merged with Xoram's project, and effectively SQ was as good as dead (gee this story's so sad).

Since then, nothing's happened, until now. I hereby declare that SQ is still alive. Some of the story I originally birthed now belongs rightfully to Xoram, but I've come up with a new story for SQ. It's been a tough ride, but at the end of the ET:CF era, it shall begin again. I can't make any promises, as it's all shaky right now, because I'm going to be literally hopeless at programming the bosses and small bits inbetween, but still. I hope one day I can have a finished game perched up on SFGHQ for all to play.

Here are some random graphics you may remember:

SQ-Boss-Title.gif

Actually I don't expect you to remember this considering I didn't ever show it. These were some random tiles for the beginning of a boss stage.

Sonic-Quantum-Sample.gif

SONIKKU! Yes that's right, it's Sonic. Nate was a legend. He will STILL be used in the game.

Nack-SQ-Sample.gif

Remember this fella? Kenji's extremely awesome sprite. I haven't seen him around anymore, I hope he's ok. :< But yeah I hope to still use these.

Quantum-Title-2.png

Massively old title screen. I'm NOT using this anymore, but I'll show you it anyway for you newer members. ... It's so hiddeous.

itemz.png

Some more of Kenji's stuff he let me use. Now this is rough, scratchy and extremely not done. I'm fixing these up soon.

SQ-Zone-List.gif

This was a list of the names of the zones to be used I made for Koray.

SQ-Boss-List.gif

Boss list. These were mainly just as notes.

Rollover-Nav_Buttons.png

WEBSITE BANNERS? How did they get there? o_o

SQ-Tree-Sheet.png

AAAAHHHH THE TREEESS OF EVIL.

Boxnew.gif

Oh wait, here's the new item-box design. :D

QUANTUM3.gif

New SQ logo as some of you may know, and I may edit it later thanks to your critique.

And so on... Oh wait.

FloorBase.png

This was made for an interactive tutorial.

Anyway, you've heard enough. When the time comes, SQ will return, but for now you just have to wait. ;)

By the way this is an information topic if you haven't figured that out, so don't bug me like last time.

P.S. > If you want to support SQ at all, please keep this and put it in your sig if you ever find it appropriate:

SQIsBackBanner.gif

SMEXY EDITS:

Time for some editing. Note that this will be the post you will go to for news updates and stuff over the next... whenever.

Alright, so let me fill you in about some general info.

SQ will be as some of you may already know, DIALOGUE FREE. There will be cutscenes, but no script. I think games are much more detailed this way (YES I know what I just said) because it leaves more to your imagination.

SQ will be following a midly crossed storyline. It's not set in the extremely modern age time set that is Sonic Adventure or of those times, it's back further.

Lets recap: Sonic was just a normal hedgehog (if some of you know the original storyline then good on you) and then Eggman was created and such, Chaos emeralds, power rings scattered across Mobius and so on. After that the original Sonic The Hedgehog story began with the first game. After that, Tails was introduced and they fought him again. Sonic 3 finally came around and then Sonic, Tails and Knux fought him off once again after many efforts and lets not forget Mecha Sonic who is still as I imagine, rotting on the floating island somewhere... (think about it). So after the battle in space, Sonic returned the Master Emerald to Knux and the floating island was risen back into the sky. The death egg fell once again at that time, and there was much joy. After the Death Egg fell into the ocean below the island, it sank and was never to be seen again (this is where my story branches off). This is where I suggested to myself that Fang (Nack as some call him) should be introduced. As he's a rogue bounty hunter, he would technically be the ideal candidate to hire in the case of wanting some added 'buff' to help wipe out Sonic and Tails. Since Sonic and Tails arrived back in the Metropolis after flying back from where the floating island once... floated, Sonic took a much needed vacation. He found a peaceful place, which wasn't too far out of the ordinary, the Midnight Island zone. Sonic has since been relaxing there in the moonlight, but things soon went sour. Strange beams of light were emerging around the place (which isn't too normal). So he investigates...

Believe me there's more, and the delicious part will be playing this out without any text. Sonic 3 did it, so I can too. Stupid Sonic Advance 2 / 3.

-Zal

Dont give a worry about Kenji; I still talk to the old fellow on aim, he's just not at SFGHQ. He lives though.

Its good to see SQ back.

Smexy sprites too. If you ever need any help, I should be able to lend a hand if I'm able.

I will support SQ visually once my sig comes to terms xD Then I will plug it in there.

I also never posted in the art forum, but I'd like to say the new logo is visually pleasing; it appears to have soft colours, that just seem to blend nicely into each other, and your classic addition of stars. xD

Zal, youve really made yourself a path hmm?

Im loving these designs & inspirations, and half of this stuff is like an extreme blast from last year, if you can remember that far back ;]

---

you should hit me up on aim sometime Z.H., ive kind of got a style that's similar to yours, pixel art wise.

--

Heres looking at you:

scspic4my.png

Dont give a worry about Kenji; I still talk to the old fellow on aim, he's just not at SFGHQ. He lives though.

Its good to see SQ back.

Smexy sprites too. If you ever need any help, I should be able to lend a hand if I'm able.

I will support SQ visually once my sig comes to terms xD Then I will plug it in there.

I also never posted in the art forum, but I'd like to say the new logo is visually pleasing; it appears to have soft colours, that just seem to blend nicely into each other, and your classic addition of stars. xD

Thanks a bunch man. It's good to hear that Kenji's still around, somewhere. If you get to talk to him, tell him that SQ's back and he should theoretically go and make love to something, as I have this tendancy.

Also thanks Xoram and Midi and Azu and the rest, I'm liking the path that this has been set upon.

I know last time there was a big hassle about who I could get to help with backgrounds and such, but from now on I'm making my own. Mostly from scratch. Look forward to that one people, I've been scratching up on mah skillz.

Oh yeah, sorry. I'll fix that... sometime. >_>

Anyway, read the bottom of the first post for more, if you haven't caught on.

EDIT: Fixed.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Sorry to post AGAIN, but this is important.

SQ just had a name change. Sonic Quantum isn't to the point anymore considering Quatum doesn't have anything to do with the story any longer.

It is now simply: Sonic Hero.

Hero. Singular. Get used to it, because this makes more sence than before and NO it wont be anything like Sonic Heroes so settle down.

EDIT: If anyone can think of something better, help me. I want Sonic *insert something*. I liked the names Sonic Unity and Sonic Forever but they've been taken. I need help.