A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

VC (good or bad?)

True Blue

With the Wii and the VC around, buying old consoles, unless you're a collector, seems very pointless. Why bother?

People love the old consoles for their looks, their games, their success, the fact they came in cool plastic cartridges with styly stickers on... But thanks to the VC, to save money on the consoles, it's possible to choose to play all those games in a single one. Which is good if you don't mind playing them in a white shiny console, instead of the traditional and, by many, good old, black and gray ones. At least, the PS3 controller still reminds me of the SEGA Mega Drive or Saturn controllers.

Let me just say this is not meant to start a war. I know this topic introduction sounds controversial. It's only because I'm trying to introduce it in a general opinion, which is not exactly my own.

Yeah, to me this is kind of a non-issue. I think the VC is convenient. I've never owned a NES or SNES, but now I have the option of getting some games for them. I'm not willing to spend more money just for the novelty of owning an old system that is probably on the verge of breaking down and dying anyway.

Of course, if you'd rather own the original console and game, then that won't stop you from trying to buy one off ebay.

Its a way for simple people who don't know emulation to play old games. I mean hell I have a buttload of VC stuff linked to my account just because it gives me a means to play it on TV (and it makes multiplayer easier)

Although now that I have the Homebrew Channel thats going to change.

Here's a better question.

Why buy anything on VC, if emulation is around? Yea...this question has been raised before.

Believe it or not, there is a certain amount of charm to playing games with a proper television and a controller and computers tend to be less than welcome in the living room. At the moment, it isn't 100% certain, but it seems like future Nintendo consoles will probably allow you to keep your virtual console collection, so that's a nice bonus too. If thats true, it's a good deal better than owning the original consoles to play them on since as far as I can tell, the experience is usually spot on.

The homebrew channel is generally a cheaper alternative as long as the Wii is still hot enough to keep in your living room, and it has good emulators for SNES, Genesis, NES, TG16, and a few others. Nintendo's emulators for most N64 games and a number of others are a good deal better though.

If you found a charm in playing games on the old consoles, wouldn't you then be a "collector" of sorts? He said "except if your were a collector," which is why I didn't add what you said to my original statement. Shit, I bought a genesis not even a month ago for that warm, fuzzy feeling of playing old games on a tv with the original controller.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

So what charm are you talking about, if you're not talking about nostalgia?

EDIT: And the type of people that wouldn't know about emulation would definitely not be savvy enough to think of looking for a genesis controller for use on a wii.

Emulation on PC < Virtual Console with a classic controller < the real thing

Personally, as soon as I get a steady job and become paypal eligible, I'm a lot of old consoles from eBay. No Virtual Console can give me the feeling of the real controller in my hands, and the smell of a cartridge you just blew on in order to make it work.

Nostalgia is bullshit. The genesis controller however is not. On the other hand, http://cre.ations.net/creation/wireless-sega-genesis-controller-for-wii

If I ever get a Wii, I'll look for that controller. :D

It's not nostalgia. It's just playing it on the television with a controller in the living room. It's probably more atmospheric than anything else.

I think you're right. I didn't play many Mega-Drive games when I was little. But I wanted one since I was three. No, I don't want a Mega Drive because I never got one. I want one because it's cool to play games on a living room, insert a cartridge in the console instead of a CD, and because I enjoy playing them in my cousin's. That console has some really great titles too.

I play Mega Drive games on an emulator sometimes, but it doesn't feel the same as when I play them on an actual Mega Drive. The quality of the non-flat television gives the colors more life than in a computer screen, and you don't see the sprites as square as they really are. The TV screen makes the pixels look somehow better.

I like the Wii, but I don't imagine myself feeling the same way with the Wii Classic or Gamecube Controller as I feel with the Mega Drive one.

About the NES or SNES consoles, I'm not sure. Playing old Nintendo games in a new Nintendo consoles makes some sense. I'd obviously prefer to own them as cartridges instead of playing them on some kind of emulator. The issue about the controllers is a bit different when it comes to Nintendo. I didn't have an experience with those consoles when I was little. The Mega Drive is more special to me, I guess. I would feel strange playing Mega Drive games with a white controller, but probably not as much when playing Nintendo games with the Classic Controller or the Nyko Wing, for example.

It's not nostalgia. It's just playing it on the television with a controller in the living room. It's probably more atmospheric than anything else.

This.

There's a difference between buying a game, playing it on a system, with a controller, on a console, sitting down on your couch with a glass of soda, kicking back, and hearing the music reach out at you from across the room.

That's totally different from sitting at a desk with a crummy gamepad or keyboard, opening an executable, playing a rom, and hunch over the computer monitor. Plus, some games don't emulate well (Kirby 64, Paper Mario).

That said, I prefer VC, but only if I really, really, REALLY love a game, or if the game is astoundingly awesome but I never played it (Sin and Punishment).

Also, I got a huge boner when my NES->GCN controller came in the mail just before Mega Man 9 came out. I play with that. And it's awesome.

This.

There's a difference between buying a game, playing it on a system, with a controller, on a console, sitting down on your couch with a glass of soda, kicking back, and hearing the music reach out at you from across the room.

That's totally different from sitting at a desk with a crummy gamepad or keyboard, opening an executable, playing a rom, and hunch over the computer monitor. Plus, some games don't emulate well (Kirby 64, Paper Mario).

Consoles rule! :D

Seriously though, I'm glad it's not just me who feels that way about the emulators. It's cool that I got to play Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles through Gens, but it would be a lot cooler if I got to play them, even in a PS2's SMC+. I'm still trying to either get SMC+, a Wii for the VC, or a Mega Drive. I love the feeling a console gives.

I also agree, but there are still cheaper options than buying a wii and waiting for the game you want to come out on VC.

Like hooking up a pc to a tv and not buying a shitty gamepad. I got that same 'atmospheric' feeling by doing that and by actually owning the console. I just wanted to own a genesis, is all.

See, I already mentioned what exactly is wrong with that:

Not everyone wants a PC in the living room

Adding to that list:

More Expensive setup (need special video cables, more controllers, etc)

PC controllers that aren't wireless tend to have 4-6 foot cords

PC controllers that are wireless tend not to have the range of console controllers