A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

If you could combine any two games, which two, and why?

ila

An interesting topic popped up over at The Escapist asking the topic title. So which two games would you combine? Specifically what aspects of two games would you combine? No need to force yourself to do some twisted crossover unless you're actually into that. Myself?

Personally I'd love to see the characters and settings from Persona 4 combined with the battle system behind Valkyria Chronicles. I think a Persona game using Sega's Blitz combat system could be refreshing and very fun to play.

Also, Pokemon and World of Warcraft. Or any MMORPG for that matter, WoW comes to mind since it happens to be the most successful one at the moment, and survivability seems like a good quality for MMOs lately.

And in before Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 1/2.

Mega Man in the style of Metroid Prime; by that, I mean how Prime allowed you to switch from first-person shooting view to third-person platforming view (of course, in Prime, that was only when Samus was in Morph Ball mode, but what I mean is that you can switch views whenever). I think that would translate very well into some kind of next-gen Mega Man game.

I'd like to see a Guilty Gear styled Sonic fighting game. Sonic has such a ridiculous amount of characters, the only good use I can find for them is in a fighting game. Also, as much as I disliked Sonic X, the characters fit pretty well in the anime style, so one more plus point.

As for other ideas:

Wonder Boy: the Dragon's Trap + Morrowind

Portal + Quake

attachment.php?attachmentid=1089&stc=1&d=1236802759

Fusing are we?

My favorite idea for a Sonic-centered fusion would be...

hangedman.png+strength.png

To make a bitchin open world Sonic game revolving around exploration and having the ability to backtrack while still somehow working oldschool Sonic level design into the mix.

I have others, but I need to post this before Ila goes to work.

post-17-13863976311_thumb.gif

I'd like to see a Guilty Gear styled Sonic fighting game. Sonic has such a ridiculous amount of characters, the only good use I can find for them is in a fighting game. Also, as much as I disliked Sonic X, the characters fit pretty well in the anime style, so one more plus point.

sonic-battle-gba.440936.jpg

SEGA was way ahead of you here.

Of course, perhaps a Sonic Battle with more of a platforming style and power-ups would work better. I could see this kind of game being released for the DS.

Combine Phoenix Wright with some sort of RPG about the supernatural.

You're a dude who needs to defend (or prosecute) another dude for a crime. Except instead of that shitty "walk into a room and tap EVERYTHING until the plot progresses" bullshit (I believe the game called this "investigating") replace it with action-oriented exploration and investigation.

Go to the crime scene, an apartment building, except when you investigate the building and take an elevator, FUCK YOU, THE CABLE SNAPPED. Now you're in the basement, and there's all sorts of demons or monsters or some shit. And you're fighting your way up the stairwell and monsters are piling ontop of you. Then you find evidence that suggests these monsters did it or something. Like, maybe the dude in that photo wasn't stabbing himself; maybe there was a VAMPIRE stabbing him! Some crazy shit like that.

So then you go to court with all of this shit, and you start objecting, and it's awesome. Then you win, and the other lawyer/detective/dude is all "NOOO OUR PLAN IS RUINED" and turns into a boss. Then you fight in the courtroom.

All that shit's level one. Now add more levels and you have an awesome game.

I've thought about this for awhile.

[qimg]http://i.testfreaks.es/images/products/600x400/104/sonic-battle-gba.440936.jpg[/qimg]

Of course, perhaps a Sonic Battle with more of a platforming style and power-ups would work better. I could see this kind of game being released for the DS.

Sonic Battle is not exactly Guilty Gear Styled :<

Sonic And Tomb Raider

I would Like to see a "Tomb Raider" kind of game except you would play as Tails or Knuckles to solve elaborate puzzles spaning large stages (using their classic platforming abilities of course) then at some intervals get to rush through trapped filled temples as Sonic. Sonic and Luara team up to raid temples for the chaos emeralds!

[qimg]http://i.testfreaks.es/images/products/600x400/104/sonic-battle-gba.440936.jpg[/qimg]

If you think Sonic Battle is even remotely like Guilty Gear, you just lost 50 cool points.

I'm pretty sure there was an old mech game where you could have one player simply delegate strategy over a map. On the other hand, nothing says awesome like a rts game where your troops actively ignore your orders.

Well obviously, there'd be incentives to following orders. And if you've got clues as to what that one mech game is, please tell me. I'm dying to know.

Pokemon + Star Ocean 3

I've stated this once before, and I already know DW's going to go "eeeeeeeh no" on me since he didn't really like enough of the game (to be honest, it bores the hell outta me, too, until you get to 4D) but this is what a lot of posters have been talking about when they say they want a pokemon game where you actually control your monster.

Freedom of movement, leading to skill-based dodging; same 4 attack setup which can now be mixed into combos for increased damage; pause to use items, escape, and switch pokemon; additional mechanics such as guard breaking (i.e. Brick Break -> Reflect/Light Screen increases Brick Break's base power and stuns the opponent); everything else would still be pokemon, for the most part (you wouldn't be able to equip more than 1 item, for example, but you could synthesis hold items until they "break")

Maybe a little Wild Arms 3 thrown in, as well - outside of battle, you could jump, climb and use tools (read: escape rope) throughout the terrain to add further exploration, and completely avoid battles at the tap of a button (if your pokemons' average level is higher than the wild pokemon that you would have fought)

Pokemon with a Brawl type fighting engine... But realtime encounters. And a 3D range of motion...

^ This. This. This. Dammit Nintendo do it, but do it right this time! I mean customizable costumes and stuff for your character, choosing- Bleh, I'll just say a friggin 3-D pokemon game done the correct way. Not with some set story or main character and sh**, (Pokemon XD) I mean, 3-D Red/Blue/Gold/Silver/Turquoise/Black/Chrome/etc.

^ This. This. This. Dammit Nintendo do it, but do it right this time! I mean customizable costumes and stuff for your character, choosing- Bleh, I'll just say a friggin 3-D pokemon game done the correct way. Not with some set story or main character and sh**, (Pokemon XD) I mean, 3-D Red/Blue/Gold/Silver/Turquoise/Black/Chrome/etc.

Yeah me and my friends keep saying it is time for this sort of game now that the Wii is out and will allow players to trade and battle with Diamond and Pearl or accross the globe. However I guarentee nintendo will make another piece of junk for the Wii claiming it to be a pokemon game.

I mean how hard would it be to just redo the originals in 3D and mix them all togather for one big, epic experiance.

A mix between Megaman Legends and Armored Core (though they're already kinda similar). Something fast-paced with a bit of gameplay depth, but still cartoony/arcadey and over-the top. Of course, I'd just settle for Megaman Legends 3.

Edit: The explanation is pretty straightforward in that the combination is aimed at counteractacting one's shortcomings with the other's strengths. Megaman Legends 1/2 were great, they was just a tiny bit sluggish and clunky. Armored Core was great, but it was a little bland and technical with missions and environments which could have used a bit more flair and distinguishing contrast.

If you think Sonic Battle is even remotely like Guilty Gear, you just lost 50 cool points.

I was really aiming at "Sonic X anime characters in a fighting game" when I made that choice. I already knew Battle was nothing like Guilty Gear, other than the fact that they're both in the fighting genre.

But if it were to be like Guilty Gear while still remaining Sonic-y, it'd have to imitate Dust Strikers.