A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

360 update causing freeze ups and RRoD

Glaber

Try reading the links in posts before you start asking about the problems. If you had, you'd realize that this is affecting a wide range of consoles with a significantly increased chance of crashing older consoles, but that it is occurring on the newer consoles as well.

In any event, I haven't done the update yet. My XBox360 isn't connected to the internet right now and hasn't been for the last few months.

I haven't got the latest update yet, but because of the 360 (or "Fuck Box" as my PS3 owning brother calls it) and it's RRoD (I had to send 1 machine back to Microsoft and it's replacement had to be sent back to be repaired, both only lasted a couple weeks before RRoDing) and PSP (which no longer runs anything from a UMD after an update) I now have a slight phobia of downloading updates for any console or gadget. I nearly shit myself a few years ago when even my TV decided it wanted to download an update, since I'd never heard of a TV that downloads updates, and to this day I have no idea what the update did.

Anyway, looks like I better not let my 360 connect to LIVE for now.

I nearly shit myself a few years ago when even my TV decided it wanted to download an update, since I'd never heard of a TV that downloads updates, and to this day I have no idea what the update did.

TV updates? Do you live in Neo Tokyo? Oh, no, wait... I live in Serbia, nevermind...

Yeah, this happened to my friend's 360 when she updated. Luckily, all she had to do was reset it and it worked again. Really lucky considering she just now got it back from Microsoft after getting red ringed.

As for me, my connection on my 360 has been total crap since then. In COD5, I'll go from having all four bars of connection to having one, then back to four. It's annoying. But that's been happening to lots of people online since the update.

Wow, sucks for everyone who has an xbox. I'd like to see what Microsoft plans to do to fix this.

I nearly shit myself a few years ago when even my TV decided it wanted to download an update, since I'd never heard of a TV that downloads updates, and to this day I have no idea what the update did.

rofl, that's hilarious.

TVs with upgradeable software? Heck...

Microsoft will probably release another update and do some kind of 'offer' to the ones who suffered damages. This time it won't be as simple as the "Wait until tomorrow and it fixes by itself" issue with the 30GB Zunes. Lame date programming...

They dont let you play unless you update.

Ugh, that sucks.

I haven't got the latest update yet, but because of the 360 (or "Fuck Box" as my PS3 owning brother calls it) and it's RRoD (I had to send 1 machine back to Microsoft and it's replacement had to be sent back to be repaired, both only lasted a couple weeks before RRoDing) and PSP (which no longer runs anything from a UMD after an update) I now have a slight phobia of downloading updates for any console or gadget. I nearly shit myself a few years ago when even my TV decided it wanted to download an update, since I'd never heard of a TV that downloads updates, and to this day I have no idea what the update did.

Anyway, looks like I better not let my 360 connect to LIVE for now.

When you say TV, do you mean the TV or do you mean the cable/satellite box? One of those makes some sense updating. The other doesn't. I can't even imagine how a TV would acquire an update in the first place unless it was some kind of legendary future television like Rat was saying.

What the hell, why haven't I heard of this? I wonder if MS is trying to keep it quiet.

I applied the update back on Wednesday and played The Orange Box for about four hours and didn't see any issues. I haven't played since then. However, knowing my luck, I have a feeling that something will go wrong next time I start it up. It is a newer 360, a Falcon manufactured around September, so I dunno if that lowers the odds of having a problem.

I will not be happy if my 360 RRODs after I've only been a 360 owner for about a month...

Probably not. Most of those people were reporting problems pretty close to immediately.

Well a couple said they played for a bit and then next time they turned it on all hell broke loose.

...but I think I'm fine. I just played a couple rounds of Worms against my brother, no issues.

When you say TV, do you mean the TV or do you mean the cable/satellite box? One of those makes some sense updating. The other doesn't. I can't even imagine how a TV would acquire an update in the first place unless it was some kind of legendary future television like Rat was saying.

I assume it was something to do with the built in Freeview receiver (Freeview is the standard free digital TV service here) but even I'm still baffled as to how it downloaded an update since it has no internet connection or anything like that, heck, the thing doesn't even have any HDMI connections so it's certainly not the TV of the future.