A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Xbox360 or Wii?

True Blue

I already have a Sega Saturn and a Nintendo DS Lite.

I'm trying to decide which one of these (Xbox360 or Wii) to get next, whether it's for this Christmas or afterwards. I may get the other one later, but my pockets will be thankful if I get it in about 10 years from now. I'm exaggerating, of course.

As you may know, I've been around this for ages, and wish to get over it as soon as possible.

I don't know if this topic will help, but then again, I don't know if it won't either, so...

Speak up your mind.

PS: I'm not just thinking about Sonic Unleashed, and I'm almost deciding to get the 360. Problem is, there's not many Sonic games, and not a single Mario game. I already have a DS, so I'm slightly covered on that. What do you all think?

I already have a Sega Saturn and a Nintendo DS Lite.

I'm trying to decide which one of these (Xbox360 or Wii) to get next, whether it's for this Christmas or afterwards. I may get the other one later, but my pockets will be thankful if I get it in about 10 years from now. I'm exaggerating, of course.

As you may know, I've been around this for ages, and wish to get over it as soon as possible.

I don't know if this topic will help, but then again, I don't know if it won't either, so...

Speak up your mind.

PS: I'm not just thinking about Sonic Unleashed, and I'm almost deciding to get the 360. Problem is, there's not many Sonic games, and not a single Mario game. I already have a DS, so I'm slightly covered on that. What do you all think?

Xbox 360 is for hardcore gamers who play Gears of War and Halo. (Don't forget Call of Duty!) Wii is for the more casual type and I think casual games are the way to go. (Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit). But, it's all up to you...

If your looking for a cheaper system, then you might as well get an X360

Xbox360

Good things: lots of games, better graphics.

Bad things: Red Ring of Doom, a good many of its games have a PC port, or are multiplatform.

Wii

Good things: innovative gameplay.

Bad things: casual stupidity, lots of games don't use the Wii's full potential.

I would personally buy a Wii since it has more game's I'm interested in. But that's just me.

I prefer the 360 as well, since not a lot of games for the more hardcore gamers are on the Wii. I am sad because my 360 got the RROD not too long ago, though. :[ Right before winter break, dammit.

But yeah, just look at released/upcoming games and see what you like best.

Xbox360

Good things: lots of games, better graphics.

Bad things: Red Ring of Doom, a good many of its games have a PC port, or are multiplatform.

Wii

Good things: innovative gameplay.

Bad things: casual stupidity, lots of games don't use the Wii's full potential.

I would personally buy a Wii since it has more game's I'm interested in. But that's just me.

Well actually the red rings of death thing is really happening anymore now that Microsoft has made the console better. And this change happened in July, 2007. The only way of it happening like it used to is if your 360 is cluttered. I've played mine one day before for at least 10 hours and it was barely heated.

Personally I like the 360 better. It has far better games and graphics, and features. To me Wii will never be like the N64 which I still play to this day. While N64 didn't have the biggest library of games, it did have some of the best.

So I would highly suggest a Xbox 360.

A year ago, I would have vehemently been trying to find some way to defend the Wii. Not really possible anymore. Sure, it had it's moment in the sun... which I guess was only really Galaxy, since Brawl ended up being less exciting than it's overly done blog and Metroid ended up being more like generic shooter with Metroid stuff since they stripped out most of the exploratory aspect.

Sure, it's not entirely Nintendo's fault, but I'm of the opinion that they should have struck while the iron was hot and expanded the company to the point where they could produce enough games to please both sects of people. Instead, they just sat with their thumbs up their ass forgetting that there was life after Brawl.

Red Ring of Death? Not as big a deal as it was early on. In fact, it's basically a non-issue now. The rate has gone down to a tiny fraction of what it was in the early batches and if you do get it, you've got this massively extended warranty specifically because of the PR nightmare it is for them to hear about another instance of it. And while it does have some other, similar problems that the especially extended warranty doesn't cover after your normal warranty has run out, you'll have a lot better chance of shaming them into an exception by finding some Kotaku blog stooge to do a sob story on how Microsoft is being evil. And it isn't like Wii doesn't have problems too. I've heard of a lot of cases where using WiiConnect24 causes the GPU to overheat rendering the console extremely annoying if not entirely useless.

To that end, I think the XBox 360 has a better current lineup of games and also better prospects for the next few years. Fortunately for me, I've got both, so even if I'm wrong, I still win out. Unless it's the PS3... in which case I lose out another 200 bucks, which is hopefully what the PS3 starts to cost when/if it ever starts really taking off.

If you like occidental style gaming ( shooters with strong bad looking guys) get a 360. Instead if you enjoy more the oriental style (rpgs with anime looking, platforming, or survival horror games) get a wii.

If you have money, get both. The best you can do this generation. There are few wii titles that are worthing, but hell, they are great titles.

That might be a worthwhile statement BF if the 360 actually had less of any of those games than the Wii does. But in reality, it has far more RPGs currently regardless of your preference for style (and a lot more on the horizon like Star Ocean 4 and FFXIII), a respectable number of platforming games, and a decent number of survival horror games. As far as I recall, the Wii has very few JRPGs and far fewer good ones. Mario Galaxy and that gameboy looking Wario game are the only first party platformers and then there is an ocean of garbage platformers as well (still haven't tried to new Sonic), and as far as survival horror games go, you have last gen Resi 4, Fatal Frame, and thats about it.