A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Good Old Games goes public... DRM free game store...

ssbfalcon

http://www.destructoid.com/good-old-games-goes-public-drm-haters-rejoice-108996.phtml&?no_cache=1&comment_saved=1#comment-982146

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Pretty cool I think... They're offering some great old games at decent prices complete with no DRM, and in some cases, downloads of the game soundrack and manual for free after purchase...

The best deal there I see is Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 together for $5.99, since those were some of my favorite games back in the day and I've been meaning to play them again...

Sure, there are other ways of acquisition, but I think this is a pretty cool concept of not treating customers in the most assholish way possible EA...

What do you guys think?

Yes, I'll be buying EWJ as soon as I get off of work and back to school and let you know how that process is...

Yeah, it's mostly CD Audio, and secret messages from Dave Perry depending on how well you beat the game (two endings, easy/normal, and hard)... I want the soundtrack mainly for two tracks: Buttville and What the Heck? (though that one's much better in game...)

I think the Peter Puppy stage theme was good to, but I can't remember...

Descent 3 + Expansion: 789MB for $5.99

Price is on par with store copies. But 789MB? Bullshit. The retail game with expansion is 3 CDs. Something screwy there...

I was about to say compression but I just realized that its not likely you can compress 3 CDs down into 1... Not without some voodoo magic, or the power of teamwork/friendship (whatever lame groan inducing line Sonic Heroes used)

I was about to say compression but I just realized that its not likely you can compress 3 CDs down into 1... Not without some voodoo magic, or the power of teamwork/friendship (whatever lame groan inducing line Sonic Heroes used)

Some compression algorithms have been improved with the years, I think this is the case

Quick question: fine nice site and all, but why are people so anal about DRM?

someone hasn't been paying attention. there's something off-putting about kernel level anti-piracy measures that have full control over everything and do constant checks for something horribly specific, can't be removed without basically reformatting, and possibly more dumb bullshit than you can shake a stick at.

Quick question: fine nice site and all, but why are people so anal about DRM?

Short answer: It inconveniences honest customers while doing absolutely nothing to prevent piracy.

Long answer:

With DRM you buy but never actually own the data. Depending on the mechanism you are either locked into certain hardware (iPod/iTunes) or are slaved to the company in some manner.

A nice recent example is Wal*Mart's DRM music. Last month they decided to stop offering DRM music downloads and to shut down their DRM severs. One problem though: shutting down the servers would mean that everyone who bought the music with DRM would be unable to play it.

Let's say you bought Spore. If anything ever happens to Electronic Arts that causes their DRM servers to go offline, or you lose internet connectivity for some reason, you will be unable to play it. The same thing goes for any game purchased over or run through Steam.

And that's if everything is working properly... If something goes wrong with the software itself the game/music/etc will refuse to work, or worse actually damage other parts of the operating system in the process.

All for a technology that has proven time and time again to do absolutely nothing against the people who actually want to pirate.

steal_this_comic.png

=Smidge=

• 2 weeks later...