A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

48 Hour Film Fest Movie: "Rover"

Slingerland

Eh, this could go in the art forum...but who cares.

www.48hourfilm.com

I participated in my first 48 hour film fest this past weekend and it screened tonight along with the other competitors, so now I can finally reveal it on YouTube to the public. If you are not familiar with the festival, you draw a character, a prop, and a line of dialogue that is universal to each movie. The only different draw for each competing team is the genre. After that, you have 48 hours to make a 4-7 minute film. It was really sad when a team that was 20 seconds late got turned back...anyway:

Our genre: Road Movie

Line of Dialogue: "Is that all I am to you?"

Prop: A shopping bag

Character: Leo Garren, a bank manager

My input for the film was writing, script supervising, and assistant editor. I make a brief appearance as "Blondie" in the final scene as well. I was up for anything, but the team leader needed a writer, so I did that mainly. I'm just so used to doing everything when I make a movie with my friends (they act...then leave), so it was nice to finally make a real professional looking project with a full crew and rented equipment. I hope you enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOyKQJKcPxI

NOTE: the picture quality was sacrificed so that it won't take so long to load on YouTube, so if it's blurry....there's your answer. It was fantastic on a huge screen.

Heh, that was basically awesome. I kept thinking... that they were racing or something and that it didn't make any sense that they got the bouncer and that whole breakthough thing... but right before they actually got to the competition the whole rover thing hit me like a ton of bricks.

So uh... where is the shopping bag?

When they were at the store and meet Keira, Jake was holding it at the counter and as he walked out the door. It was hard to see at first, because that shot was pretty washed out, but due to time constraints, we couldn't film it again. At least the judges noticed it.

Oh, and about the bricks hitting you...good. The same thing happened in the theater when a sold out crowd lol'd themselves. They were all expecting a fight club-esque thing at the end.

Guest Shadix

The only negative things I noticed were the occasional corny dialog and the clipping in the bar, but thats alright. It's pretty awesome that you were given this opportunity and took advantage of it. Overall it's pretty nifty.

He wasn't signed on to be an actor, but we needed a nerd. Plus, his overacting really won over the crowd, because it was pretty bad! He was the man. The corny dialogue...well...it's a sports movie. So, all the achetypes were in play.

Yes...the girl who played Keira was awesomely cute.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy in the leather jacket made me think of Malfoy (sp?) from Harry Potter when he first walked up and said "Well well well if it isn't.." o.O

I thought dude was going to bust his head open when he went over the desk. He looked soo.. uncoordinated. And, as has been said already, Keira's actor is a hottie. Jess was gangsta. xD

I love the idea of the "big game," totally unexpected. Although.. I don't see how it's a "road movie."