A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Chrome

OverbounD

Typing this from within Chrome. They definitely drove the whole "minimalist" kick home. It almost feels bland, though. There's no "toolbar" or whatever you want to call the "File Edit View" option that normally line the top. The Chrome logo isn't even anywhere on the top of the window. There's a simple "Google" etched into it near the minimize button but that's all. I shrunk the window size down to the same as Firefox's and you can see more the actual webpage your due to the lack of the "toolbar" and the footer thing.

With the same three tabs apiece open in both Firefox and Chrome, Chrome uses less memory totaling 30,228K among the three processes while Firefox is at 56,740K. I think it's worth noting that the memory for Firefox fluctuates a helluva lot while Chrome remains at relatively the same place. Within visiting a few web pages, and opening a new tab whatever that "home" feature was called is already in working action. It's bland, but I'm not sure that really matters. There's no loading bar, it simply says "Waiting on x page" in the lower left, which is also where urls pop up when you mouse-over a link. Can't seem to find the in-browser task manager.

Tentril: It transferred my Firefox stuff, all the bookmarks are were they were placed before and all my passwords and such are stored, as PG said.

Edit: It doesn't seem to like the "Add Infraction" on this forum, though. It draws a really long blank box. :E

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tentril: Was Firefox your default browser? Off chance.

Ila: Yah, Chrome's treating the "Add Infraction" and "View Post" bits in quotes as missing images for some bizarre reason.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the window refuses to stay where I put it. I place it in the top left corner of my screen, right underneath my taskbar with the top and left borders touching the edge of the window and the taskbar. And when I close/open it, it's moved down. I'm like.. anal about my windows why won't it stay? ;-;

Edit: That mouse-over in the lower left corner is kind of distracting. Needs to be semi-transparent or something.

Scrolls too fast. I think I'm gonna go read tentril's po-SHIT I MISSED IT.

Needs more customization in the options menu. I tried to delete some old bookmarks, and 'lo and behold, the actual way to do it is to go to the new tab page, click "Other Bookmarks", then right click a link and chose "delete". I was spending a good 5 minutes trying to find a bookmarks window on the browser itself.

ITT we nitpick :o

Lawl. Other bookmarks is on the right hand side, below the URL bar. It say "other bookmarks" and has a little folder to the left of it. Not that it matters, but I don't actually see "other bookmarks" in the Tab Page. Only Recent Bookmarks.

Edit: When you click down on the middle mouse button you don't get that scroll icon thing. No idea.

So I'm gonna assume by all these posts that I'm the only one having download issues. It's crashing my browsers left and right and never gets past the "Downloading Chrome" section. Why can't they just do it the normal way; why do they have to Microsoft up the download?

Hello, my name is Miodrag Kovačević and I'm a Chrome user.

Well, not really. Just ran it and it's kinda confusing with all the minimalism... It has some sort of potential, I think, I mean, this is Google we are talking about, but any browser/MMO/Bethesda game needs at least 6 months until it is completely usable (in most cases).

So, there's this one thing that gets on my nerves beyond any comprehension:

I went into incognito mode and hurried to download some high-res pics on the imageboard. The problem? It seems that only in incognito mode, when an image is downloaded into your cache (ie, it is completely loaded in your browser window) and you try to download it, it starts re-downloading it from byte 0, and when an image is like 4000*3000 that CAN be a problem. So, it seems incognito fails when it comes to image downloads, which is kinda funny given the reason most people would use such a feature.

Finally got it working one way or another. The change in UI is pretty disorienting, but right now, I'm only concerned with that annoying fickle little url bar at the bottom-left which comes and goes as I hover over a link. Any word on getting rid of that thing? Minimalism is all fine and dandy, but give me an option to turn off potentially-intrusive features, at least.

Other than lack of options and/or documentation, it out-right doesn't work with the apps that Opera was having trouble with, so it certainly isn't making it to my default browser just yet. But I like the idea and it seems to be running both fast and smooth, so I'll be keeping my eye on this as it gets out of Beta.

Edit: Actually it seems that the apps were probably working, but it screwed up my sound card. It says it lacks "mixers" all of a sudden when I went to play a game. Fun times. But a quick restart fixed that and now I'm loving it even more.