A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MP3/Music Phone Topic

Aaron C-T

Rawr, hi, all that good stuff. So, shortly into my fall quarter my hacked, old phone decided to completely stop playing music. Meaning I've been without my oddly varied collection of bubblegum pop, electronica, pop rock, and random spanish tracks. I'm looking to fix this as I miss constantly having Belanova, Keane, or the Bravery randomly blaring in my head.

While I'll be getting a new phone in November and it'd be sweet to have something along the lines of the Motorola Rokr E8, and I totally support the idea of lowering the amount of items in my pocket, it just doesn't make sense money-wise to get the kind of phone I want if it has such little memory (2GB onboard, up to 4GB via expandable memory) for that kind of cost.

From what I've checked out all over CNet.com pretty much the only way to go to get the most band-for-your buck is with an iPod or Zune. Not a fan of having to use iTunes or Zune Software, but for around the price of what it would cost to get a 32GB from Creative Zen, I could easily go up about 5 bucks to get an 80GB Zune or iPod. Do I need all that space? Hell no, not really. It's just the principle of not wanting to pay the same amount for less.

As of now I'm leaning more towards Zune. It's a rather good iPod alternative if a little more lacking in original design than it's original model, we could use more good, competitively priced alternative players. The main thing is that I've grown a bit tired of iTunes, especially after an incident where I accidentally deleted a bunch of music but was at no point given the choice to cancel (nor were all of the songs sent to the recycle bin).

From where I stand, although I think Microsoft could do a bit more to get smart, like expanding the Zune software to Mac systems and handling the Zune Pass differently (allowing you to keep songs you nab after continuing to keep a Zune Pass current for X amount of time after getting them). Still, they're rather sleek and do a few things the iPod, to my knowledge doesn't, such as the ability to transfer and stream music wirelessly, and pick up FM Radio. I also like the idea of supposedly being able to buy DRM-free music and not have to burn CDs. My only real gripe is that I can't just sync from WM11 and that the 80gig only comes in two colors- the pink or green Nano equivalent is just too damn sexy to pass up.

At any rate, what players do you all have? If any of you have a Zune, how do you like it? Can you suggest any other players/reasons to go with iPod/iTunes? Comments.

I have the 8gig ipod nano (the most recent one) they're sold at a very good price and it held all the songs I needed at any given time, I've now switched to the iphone now, which I can stream everything off my computer, pandora, and other fun stuff. If you're not looking for something extremely large, you may want to look into the nanos. As much as I rip on Itunes, it's not given me any problems in the 2 years I've been using it.

My old mp3 player is a Creative Zen V Plus, 2Gb. Small, cheap, holds a solid amount of music. But since my 4Gb Memory stick should be coming in the mail any minute now, I'll end up using my PSP as my main media buddy.

Now the rest of my family uses iPods; two nanos, and an old mini. The nanos get the job done, but they've given us problems in terms of freezing and other crap, and I'm usually stuck troubleshooting for quite awhile. Zunes, from what my friends tell me, are more reliable.

No one I know actually pays for music these days, so things like iTunes don't bother them too much :\ Which reminds me, the new TWEWY Rearrange came out on itunes last night. Gotta nab that.

I rock a Gen 1 Zune.

I fucking love it.

Get one. The fact that Microsoft updates firmware even for old models to include new features will make me stick with them in the future. Plus, the GUI is pretty. You can have custom backgrounds and shit. The Social is badass if you know ppl who have a Zune, too. Each time they connect, it'll update your Zune with what their favorite songs are, giving you the option of buying them, too.

Plus, WiFi sync FTW. They also released an SDK for games, so the next major update will have that as well. FM/AM tuner kicks the shit out of iPods

Honestly, buy one. Keep checking Woot, they have deals

I do like my 4GB Creative Zen... Just to give you my two cents, which used to be worth a dollar, It's great for watching The Colbert Report on the train the morning, and it does have great sound quality and expansion slot. Has a good EQ where you can choose presets or custom, and a really nice 16mil color 2.5 inch screen...

However, it really is only Windows friendly, and if you have a Mac, (or linux) , you'll have to do a few tricks to get it to transfer stuff to it...

I had a 1st gen iPod Nano until the screen broke... But I picked it up a few days ago and realized how terrible the sound quality was compared to the Zen and iTouch...

If all iPods now have the sound quality of the iTouch (brother has one), which was a huge jump in sound quality from those old iPods then I'd recommend one...

The Zune's not bad either Good quality, great features and everything... My brother's broke a few months ago due to dropping it out of a rapidly moving car... (don't ask...)

Now, excuse me, Elton John has a creamy treat he wants to put in my mouth... /last week's Colbert episode

"You can have custom backgrounds and shit."

Huge draw for me for sure. Can this be like.. any background? I was hoping to crack open some markers and photoshop and use the screen as mah canvas.

"They also released an SDK for games.."

Saw some video on CNet that had Hexic HD running. Orgasmic.

"The nanos get the job done, but they've given us problems in terms of freezing and other crap"

Yep. My sister's Nano is the reason I ever started using iPod followed by me buying the Motorola Rokr E1 (little did I know how crappy and old this phone was). Her Nano doesn't even work now, I've gotten it working like twice and it died the next time she plugged it into the computer. Don't know why, but we sent it in, and they sent it back.. not fixed. So I have no idea.

"My brother's broke a few months ago due to dropping it out of a rapidly moving car..."

Holy crap, that's gotta suck. Funny thing is, though, my roommate for next year had something similar happen with his glasses. :x

Honestly, my only gripe with Zune's software at the moment is that I can't find an option that allows me to minimize it to the taskbar. Took me awhile clicking through Arists/Genres/Songs to find a setup I liked. Songs was more iTunes-like and thus I was more comfortable until I realized it didn't keep the songs in their own albums, so I then went with Artists. Works lovely. Rating system's a bit odd. What's with the heartbroken?

I also have a 4GB Creative Zen. With the birthday coming up, however, I'm hoping to get something with a little more space. (Although the Zen does have an SD slot)

I'll probably get another player from Creative Labs, since my experience with the Zen has been the best out of any MP3 I've ever owned.

Found another bother: Microsoft Points. Granted, they're not just competing against Apple's iPod but Sony's PlayStation/PSP and Nintendo's Wii where things are sold with WiiPoints or whatever they're called. Still annoying that I don't know how much All my Friends by LCD Soundsystem costs.

Found another bother: Microsoft Points. Granted, they're not just competing against Apple's iPod but Sony's PlayStation/PSP and Nintendo's Wii where things are sold with WiiPoints or whatever they're called. Still annoying that I don't know how much All my Friends by LCD Soundsystem costs.

Wait they transferred over the microsoft points system to their music store?? What a fucking stupid idea.

I bought a 4GiB Hong Kong import for $30. :D Works great, 2.8 inch touch screen too. I'm even able to read subtitles of the videos I've put on it. Sound quality is super though, while listening to heavy metal it sounds rather dodgy.

Well for me, my phone is the At&t tilt. Its got windows mobile, and its really nice.

I use my PSP for an MP3 player. I got the 2GB stick for it, and I have about 600 songs. People say "get an ipod cause it fits more". Honestly, if you don't think 100 songs is enough, your an idiot.

"Wait they transferred over the microsoft points system to their music store?? What a fucking stupid idea."

That's what I say, but I figure eventually there'll end up being more compatability-ness between the Xbox Live Marketplace and Zune, what with XNA coming and wireless streaming and all that.

"Honestly, if you don't think 100 songs is enough, your an idiot."

Lawl. I could probably do with just an 8GB Zune, really, in the sexual pink or green colours, because as of right now I only have about 7.50GB. Really, though, that's excluding quite a few bands and albums that I've yet to add back to this computer. I'd easily go over the amount of storage there. By the time I subscribe to a few podcasts, etc, Id easily go over it.

Guest Shadix
Well for me, my phone is the At&t tilt. Its got windows mobile, and its really nice.

I use my PSP for an MP3 player. I got the 2GB stick for it, and I have about 600 songs. People say "get an ipod cause it fits more". Honestly, if you don't think 100 songs is enough, your an idiot.

I used to agree with this statement, but ever since I started using playlists and syncing my library with my iPod, it's really nice to be able to have all the space.

I actually do understand where he's coming from, though. The majority of the time, at least for me, I listen to music in stages. Whereas right now I'm listening to a lot of Fightstar, Coldplay, and Keane, a month from now I may be listening to Michael Jackson, Belanova, and The Rapture. You'd slowly be swapping your collection out as you listened to them, got new stuff and took trips down memory lane. I have an LL Cool J album, but only rarely do I break it out. Granted, most of the songs on it suck, but.. yea.

I love putting my headphones on at work and hitting up the iphone to shuffle 8 gigs worth of music, you always hear things you haven't heard in a long time :o. Plus I'm an album whore, I just torrent whole albums and throw them on together, sure you get some crappy bits on certain albums, but eh, it's fun.

I have some pirated MP4 player with 1GB space. It's not THAT bad, but it had some really crappy headphones that lasted about 2 weeks. Now, the problem is that whenever I need new headphones, I need to find some with a 2.5mm plug (and the standard is 3.5mm), so it's always a 'quest' to find new headphones. Oh, and the Shuffle isn't random, it's scripted, i.e. when shuffle is on, I ALWAYS here the same 12 songs over and over.

You can have literally any picture you deem you want as your background. I suggest resizing it tho so it looks better than shrunken down resampled shit. But yes, if you want a picture of a girl getting double penetrated, your Zune will allow it.

There are hacks that allow you to use Winamp or other shit to upload your music to the Zune, too. It can act as a HDD with some fiddling.

eh. Audio quality isn't that big a deal to me, and I only listen to music to quicken the last couple of hours at work. So my DS works fine for me. Whoo!

Ewwwww, I guess if you're not worried about quality at that point you're fine but man, I couldn't even imagine attempting to listen to my ds as an MP3 player.

Ewwwww, I guess if you're not worried about quality at that point you're fine but man, I couldn't even imagine attempting to listen to my ds as an MP3 player.

I tried it with my R4 once. I only put a few songs on it, seeing how I've only got 1Gb in it. It was passable. It's not like the music that is played from videogames, which are shit quality.