A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MP3/Music Phone Topic

Aaron C-T

Picked one up today. 80GB Red Zune. The packaging is really nice, as dumb as that sounds. Nifty box within a box. Then another box for the Zune device, followed by two separate boxes for the rather nice headphones and connector cable. Setting it up was super easy, and it's now syncing at 75%. : )

Picked one up today. 80GB Red Zune. The packaging is really nice, as dumb as that sounds. Nifty box within a box. Then another box for the Zune device, followed by two separate boxes for the rather nice headphones and connector cable. Setting it up was super easy, and it's now syncing at 75%. : )

Dude, I'm totally with you on presentation, any company that takes the time to make the packaging awesome for their product gets points from me! The ipod nano had a pretty swank box, the iphone box was pretty neat too, not as cool as the nano though.

Dude, I'm totally with you on presentation, any company that takes the time to make the packaging awesome for their product gets points from me! The ipod nano had a pretty swank box, the iphone box was pretty neat too, not as cool as the nano though.

Isn't that just basic marketing? I mean, with so many products out there you do have to make yours stand out...

Unless you're Apple, where all they have to do is put an iPod in a paper bag and have an apple logo on it... But they make nice boxes anyway...

And yet every console comes in a lameass identical box. :P

The Zune's box was very different than.. anything I've opened recently. The box slid out from the bottom of a cover. First box was a box containing a Zune, with a flap on top, lift the flap, remove the Zune and take it out of it's plastic casing. Remove this box and underneath it are the manuals and that other book with all the fine print no one actually reads, underneath this are the individual boxes for the headphones (with the extra sleeves) and sync cable. Removing these shows a sort of background announcing "Welcome to the Social."

"You know, you pay for those shitty boxes."

And? Considering what's in this box and what's in Apple's equally-priced iPod Classic box.. I don't even care. Not only do I get FM Radio, wireless syncing, and custom backgrounds, but I also get a pretty box and nice set of tangle-free headphones for the same price? Don't see why not..

You'll care when the economy goes so far into the shit that these portable consumer electronics start being too expensive for the American middle class :M

Technically, if the "economy goes so far into the shit," the definition of the middle class would be readjusted.

Also, no significant market player at any time would price their little gadget higher than what people can stand to pay, because then they don't sell any product, and then they don't make any money. Simple economics.

Plus, the first iPhone was $600, and it somehow managed to not only sell, but redefine the mobile phones market. And it had a cool box.

There may be more than one market, but the U.S. is the world's largest consumer market. You hating fancy boxes because they're successful is just like hating Nickelback because they somehow got famous... Understandable, but ultimately moot.

Japan and china are even more into presentation is on everything they sell.

Truth, they always get the best DVD releases.

As for the topic at hand. I was using an Archos 604 WiFi for my MP3/Video/Internet player, ofcourse this was before the iPhone came out.

However I still justify it because I got the pretty sweet Helmet camera attatchment for it, which allows me to easily film some of my adventures.

As for phones, I am still using my Sony Ericsson w600i (One of this first real music cell phones), because it's design has grown on me (and I built a magic trick into it.), but sooner or later i'll pick up a iPhone due to the price drop. Couldn't justify the cost before because I don't like iPods and didn't want to pay extra for it.

Yeah, they're pretty slick...

But I'm not sure if I'd be able to text as fast as I can on my Moto Q...

I tried on my Brother's iTouch and it just wasn't working for me (I posted on these boards not too long ago with it...)

Problem is, I don't think even half of the features that the iPhone has (and doesn't have) would be useful to me at all... (And I don't think a Genesis emulator on the iPhone would be as nice as the one on the Moto Q or other phones with buttons...)

Still, nice phone... But will I have to turn into one of those "I'm going to hold my iPhone out and use it underground to try to get subway directions..." to fit the demographic?

Damn tourists... At least they don't know about the awesome pizza shop hidden inside the Empire State Building...

I work at a WalMart, and recently bought a Clearance Archos 404 for $170.

The good

-30 gigs for cheap

-Supports many file formats

-Fairly large LCD screen (bigger than iPod classic)

-Durable (made of freaking metal)

-TV playback (cord required)

-TV recording (dock or cord required)

-Fairly easy to transfer files

-Good reviews

The bad

-Poor battery life

-Weird interface

If you look around online, I'm sure you can find some for pretty cheap (I've seen some go for $100)