A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MCSonikku sprite[Updates on first post only.]

Aikocho

OK, I was board yesterday evening,and I stumbled upon something. I seen what _Kain's Sonic sprite looked like, and I have to say, I liked it. All of a sudden, I felt inspired. So much, that I wanted to try making a Sonic sprite sheet myself.

mcsonikkuex8to5.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Animation listing:

Walking

mcsonikkuwalkinggz5.gif

All I used from Kain's sheet were the pallet and guide shapes. The rest of the details are all from scratch. I don't know If I can make the running and walking animations as smooth, but Its worth trying. All I got to show is the Head, body and base, so its still unusable. If Kain wants me to stop this, I will. Or at least use a different pallet. You can't throw away all your hard work. =_=;

I want some advice or crite from you guys, because I want to make this sheet as big as it can get.

No problems over here. I kinda got swept away in a different sprite project (but I'll probably come back to finishing Sonic some time after) anyway.

Lovin' the expressions/faces. Especially on the "looking up at floating thing in the foreground" one. Also the details on the shoe.

No problems over here. I kinda got swept away in a different sprite project (but I'll probably come back to finishing Sonic some time after) anyway.

Lovin' the expressions/faces. Especially on the "looking up at floating thing in the foreground" one. Also the details on the shoe.

I'm glad you like it Kain. I want this sheet to be decent. I don't know about animations though. I'm just a bit uneasy making the walking frames though. I don't know how you did it.

Try more light shading...

The style he's going for doesn't need any lighting, so it looks just fine imo.

@MCKaosu: The animations for the head look great so far. If you do the same turning movement for the body and maybe make the tail move slightly as Sonic moves, you'd have a very nicely animated Sonic sprite ahead of you.

Yeah. I could go either way. Sprite looks fine without highlighting, but it may also look kind of cool with highlighting, too.

One thing that bugs me is Sonic's eyes don't really appear to be focused on anything. His right eye could probably stand to be moved over one pixel:

focus.png

That introduces some new problems with how his eyes are rendered, granted. But a pet peeve of mine is characters who appear to be staring off in to space, and your Sonic sprite suffers from that a little bit - though to be fair it's only noticable when he turns his head in what seems to be his walk animation.

Beyond that, though, this is a very awesome looking sprite. If I wouldn't have to re-sprite all the characters in my game to fit, I might actually consider using it for TFH. :P

I bring to you guys a minor update. I'm working on the walking animation for starters, only downside is, still no arms. I'm currently looking for good references on how to make the arms move just right, but i figured I'd ask around and see what you all would prefer in his animations.

Updates on first post.

All your opinions are appreciated. Lets all help to make this sheet possible.

Needs less ears

(+5 Happy Points to those who can correctly identify my joke) -- Blaze, you can't answer this.

(+rep to whomever can correctly identify "Happy Points")

Has something to do with Madventure 2 and the fact that Sonikku is the last boss and fights Sonic because he wants his ears?

OT: It looks awesome so far.

• Like 1

When I was making Sonic's arm move during his walking animation for my custom sprite, I used a lot of reference from the sth3 sprite as well as compare the movements to my own arm when I jog. Then I looked at how the animation played back and moved the arm/hands around accordingly so that the animation was very fluent and natural looking. It took me quite a bit of time to make it work well, but I believe it was worth it; best advice I can give about it anyhow.

It's looking very good so far btw. I see the sth3 shoes worked better for your walking animation than it did for mine. ;>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the very sonanime feel it gives me. Also, I have to comment on how I think the arms look ridiculously long. Although, I believe only a pixel shorter would probably fix this. I dunno, I know his arms almost reach to the bottom of his shoes in some sega drawings but I think maybe shorten them a bit?

Favourite anim definately looking up. I already love it even though it's only some eye balls and a muzzle.

I made another update, but I can't make the new anims in animated giffs. You just have to see. I also know that its not much of an update, but when life gives you lemons...:asweatdrop:

To Serephim: Yeah, different variations are a good idea, but for now, I better pixle out his basic anims first, since they are more important and sometimes the hardest to put in any usable spritesheet.