A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Large Hadron Collider

Cyber Rat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the rouge sayian quarks and micro black holes destroy me and everything I love quicker than I can notice, im cool with it.

You gotta look on the BRIGHT side of science! What if the Fantastic four are created and help end global warming....!!!!!!!

You gotta look on the BRIGHT side of science! What if the Fantastic four are created and help end global warming....!!!!!!!

Science is the reason for global warming! Can't you see? First it's global warming, now it's portable black holes, and who knows what's next?

Science is also the reason for the internet!

But in all seriousness, i dont see a reason to be afraid. Most of the dangers of this machine are hypothetical, and for the most part i would believe these "doomsday" conditions are met every day when the sun comes up.

And if any of them DO happen, lets hope they dont destroy the planet or a % of our population so we can learn more from them! I hate it when people bash new science technology even after its gotten us where we are today. I would like to see our understanding of the universe expand even further, as it can only prove positive for us in the long run.

We've got all kinds of money invested in space exploration and technology, but we can't even send a Large Hadron Collider to Mars instead of keeping it in our back yard.

I wasn't worried at all until Seraph started talking about how unworried he was. Now I'm freakin' out. Ok, not really.

Guest Shadix

Have you ever read Dan Browne's "Angels and Demons"? I always get a trip when I see this thing and the whole deal with CERN and everything, as they are major plot points in that book.

Just in case we should probably have SAGE early :P

I go to school in 2 weeks.

At least i wouldnt have to go back.

Maybe im just ignorant on the subject, but they arent explaning exactly how these "strange matter" particals / energy would come to consume the earth.

Or, how people suddendly fear these hypothetical "MICROBLACKHOLES", when the only explanation of them requires a ring accelerator thats one-thousand lightyears in diameter.

Something about stranglets being ultra-stable and decaying the matter around them, somehow creating more stranglets and a chain reaction of conversion. Theoretical built on theoretical with side reference to on-the-spot assumptions.

so basically, it can be anywhere from a 100% chance the world is going to end, to a 50/50 chance the world is going to end, to a negative chance the world is going to end.

Why dont I see people bitching about Gas prices or Global Warming lol

More like it's anywhere between a 0.000000001% and ~2-5% chance that the world's going to end depending on what sources you go by. All the things that the LHC might theoretically produce sound mighty dangerous, but even if they were produced, the conditions for them to go catastrophic are rather ludicrous. Or at the very least, completely without precedent (not that you can have a precedented end of the world).

But that doesn't mean the world's not going to end. Just probably not in two weeks. Maybe in 2012, though.

This is what I have to say on the whole situation:

GREAT SCOTT!! Are they that determined to screw with the laws of physics to create an infinite energy source, with a 50/50 chance that it could destroy the world in a mere nanosecond. I rather face the floods, meteors, volcanoes on Judgment Day and Survive than just lets these maniacs mess with the universal order.

Shut the fuck up you melodramatic douchebag.

Prozac. Nap.

This is what I have to say on the whole situation:

GREAT SCOTT!! Are they that determined to screw with the laws of physics to create an infinite energy source, with a 50/50 chance that it could destroy the world in a mere nanosecond. I rather face the floods, meteors, volcanoes on Judgment Day and Survive than just lets these maniacs mess with the universal order.

Shut. Up.

I love how research always seems to turn into "GREEDY HUMANS LAWS OF PHYSICS DESTRUCTION OF THE UNIVERSE LEAVE THE WORLD ALONE" when the same practices allow us to be talking to eachother right now, more or less.

Infinite Energy Source? What the hell? They're just doing experiments to confirm theories. Apparently you dont know enough about the "universal order" to adequately be frightened about much of anything they do.