A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My random art

Ayling

It's okay. The Wii Logo's outline makes it look a tad fake, even if you traced the logo. It's also way too big. The space it takes up on your cover could be used for more imagery. The logo looks a tad stretched as well (too tall). If you vector the Wii logo and enlarge it, you should be all set.

You could have spent a little more time cropping the Animal Crossing Logo; it looks really jaggy. Just use the Background Eraser tool in Photoshop to erase everything around the logo and you'll get something a lot cleaner.

It also seems like you put the image ontop of the Wii template and slid it around instead of placing it on a layer underneath the template. That way, you have a lot more freedom to move the picture wherever you want.

Aside from that, not much else to comment on; it's mostly just stock images thrown together with "Wii" typed on top.

Neither of those are anything special. Just cutting and pasting pictures together with Wii and DS logos.

That's kinda how you create hoaxes or mockup boxarts. I'm gonna try and learn how to animate models, but otherwise I can't do an incredible amount of designing.

These are the most obvious hoaxes ever. First one, it's a fangame. Not going to be sold. Second one, which has the same reason as the first, obviously uses a Brawl screenshot as the background. I mean, come on. You're not even trying.

Who needs critiques when you can get insulted in the form of photoshopped poo?

Front Cover suggestions:

The problem is this one is that it lacks polish. The edges of the DS thing on the right of the front over is really sharp, like it was cropped in MSPaint (and I hope to God that you're not using that.) You should either smooth it out (smudge tool) or use the pen tool to make a nice, smooth curve, then stroke it with the eraser tool (right click>stroke path>Tool: Eraser). Apply this to the edges of the Chao too, since they look jaggy as well.

The background is pretty ho-hum. A simple checkerboard might be nice (remember to use a color that compliments the chao!), but a blurred Choa Garden can work if you get a photo without any Chao in it (or cover them with the artwork). EDIT: Also, the Sega logo is jaggy.

Wrapping things up with the front cover: The title of the game is pretty boring. It doesn't really fit, since it's really edgy, and the chao have gaga-googoo eyes. Pick something a tad cuter, but not something so cute that it makes you sick to the stomach. Take it easy on the gradients, because they usually look terrible in any situation.

Back cover:

The font is pretty generic here, and it's not particularly legible, especially in the captions. Could probably do without the underlining at the top.

The screencaps seem to be suffering from some sort of God-knows-what. Photoshop should have smoothed these out when you shrunk them, which is weird, because the small text on the template at the bottom is smoothed to a blur (I assume you shrunk the box as a whole down so that it wasn't huge, as you should!).

I recommend looking at other back covers for layout ideas, since this seems like it wasn't planned out that well. Notice how screencaps and text are arranged in relation to one another.

The wording is awkward, but now I'm just nitpicking. But if you're interested in improving that, the back of the Pokemon or Nintendogs case is a good place to start.

Needs improvement, but shows potential.

Who needs critiques when you can get insulted in the form of photoshopped poo?

Front Cover suggestions:

The problem is this one is that it lacks polish. The edges of the DS thing on the right of the front over is really sharp, like it was cropped in MSPaint (and I hope to God that you're not using that.) You should either smooth it out (smudge tool) or use the pen tool to make a nice, smooth curve, then stroke it with the eraser tool (right click>stroke path>Tool: Eraser). Apply this to the edges of the Chao too, since they look jaggy as well.

The background is pretty ho-hum. A simple checkerboard might be nice (remember to use a color that compliments the chao!), but a blurred Choa Garden can work if you get a photo without any Chao in it (or cover them with the artwork). EDIT: Also, the Sega logo is jaggy.

Wrapping things up with the front cover: The title of the game is pretty boring. It doesn't really fit, since it's really edgy, and the chao have gaga-googoo eyes. Pick something a tad cuter, but not something so cute that it makes you sick to the stomach. Take it easy on the gradients, because they usually look terrible in any situation.

Back cover:

The font is pretty generic here, and it's not particularly legible, especially in the captions. Could probably do without the underlining at the top.

The screencaps seem to be suffering from some sort of God-knows-what. Photoshop should have smoothed these out when you shrunk them, which is weird, because the small text on the template at the bottom is smoothed to a blur (I assume you shrunk the box as a whole down so that it wasn't huge, as you should!).

I recommend looking at other back covers for layout ideas, since this seems like it wasn't planned out that well. Notice how screencaps and text are arranged in relation to one another.

The wording is awkward, but now I'm just nitpicking. But if you're interested in improving that, the back of the Pokemon or Nintendogs case is a good place to start.

Needs improvement, but shows potential.

Thank you for your constructive critisism!