A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Level Mock-up looking for some opinions

attachment.php?attachmentid=817&stc=1&d=1212998825

This is a mock-up I've been working on a for a few days. Its going to be the 3rd Round of Sonic Time Twisted. Its supposed to be like a Crystal Mine style round. I'm looking for some opinions and ways to improve upon it. Also if anyone thinks of a good name for the round that would be great too I'm terrible at that.

post-252-13863976211_thumb.png

Well, I think crystal Cavern is excessively standard. Mineral Mine, Diamond Dale or Glass Garbage Sounds more epic and original for alliterations.

Glass/gem Grotto/gap/gimp/girder

Jewel/jade Jig/joint/journey/jangle/jigsaw/jank/jar/jail

Viridian Void/vortex/vault/verge

heres a quick slap together with a greened version of cool lava-reef, white lines from the sections i couldn't be bothered to join up aside, do you think that could work? plain black just seems awfully bland. you'd need to brighten up the blue bits i think, looking back

65390199iu0.png

Emerald Environs? Jade Junction?

Personally, for the location in that mock-up, I imagine there's a wall in the background pretty damn close to the ground the player would be on. Just a generic rock wall would work there.

Of course, I'd imagine that you'd eventually want to add some depth, so I'd then make a very VERY distant rock wall, perhaps dark caves behind (a la Mystic Cave or S2 Hidden Palace), and maybe add what looks like mining equipment actively excavating the gems. For instance, you could have a rope with a bunch of platforms actively dragging gems up, with another rope with more platforms (empty this time) going down to claim more of the things. You don't even have to show where these pulley-operated mechanisms end, either - they'll just perpetually go up and down, sort of like the platforms in World 1-2 of Super Mario Bros. (but with a rope!). As for some horizontal motion, you could also have carts of the gems being transported via conveyor belts in and out of little holes in the wall, giving the impression that there's a big factory behind that wall that you're not exactly privy to.

Add a few wooden planks here and there to illustrate SOMETHING holding the cave up (or metallic columns, considering you already have a metallic platform - be a bit random with their placement, as uniformity is boring and dull.

Also, while the foreground should be bright, I'd tone it down JUST a tad. Certainly, the rocks in the foreground and the gems in the background shouldn't be the same color.

Mineral Mine and Crystal Cavern are two names I have thought of as well. Mineral Mine is a maybe but I think Crystal Cavern is over used like everyone said. I like Diamond Dale but I think since the crystals are green it might be kinda wrong. I have tried to add what you guys suggested darkening the crystals, the wood, the black background was temporary. I think the cooled Lava Reef looks good but I think I want something a bit more original, I have been experimenting with some new backgrounds here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=819&stc=1&d=1213085396

attachment.php?attachmentid=818&stc=1&d=1213085396

Thank you guys for all the feed back and keep it coming I want this level to look great!

post-252-138639762112_thumb.png

post-252-138639762114_thumb.png

That level looks very closed. It seems that the background is too close to the play area, giving a wall effect more than a background one. Also the fact that there are crystals even inside that boxes, makes it excessively repetitive, because crystals are small and spread everywhere. You can use the lava reed act 2 crystals to fill the boxes, giving them a different colour, but still looks like a wall. You can use that as a decoration wall though.

Also try to include something more with crystals. You can leave some empty places to show the machine background you have behind, and you can also have different thickness for nicer mosaics.

And for foreground, try looking at mystic cave, that endless cave effect should help with the closed feeling.

Emerald Edge

Shapphire Shards

Ruby Realm

Choose the colour you want :P

Again guys thanks for the suggestions. I have not posted anything else because I haven't got much else other then a few gimmick ideas I'm toying around with.

I've also been trying to think of some machine elements to add to the game since it is a mine there should be machines of some sort the problem is I have no idea what kind or where to get them from. Similar levels like Mystic Cave and Lava Reef don't seem to have them and I would like to give the level a bit of a mechanized feel to it.

Any suggestion on that? Also keep the names coming I probably won't pick one until I have the level graphics farther along but I like what I'm hearing.

actually i am a bit busy, so, if you don't give me just the back layer and the front layer separated, so i have not to cut the image, i won't be able to work on it until i reach home. So if you do it i can get it in one minute. Try sending to mail shown in profile.

• Like 1