A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

internet

Guest sonic1991

Guest sonic1991

im getting a laptop and i was wondering if my moms com and the laptop could be connected to the internet at the same time.i know if we had dsl and a router it could but we have dial up so does anyone know if it could and how or do we have to get dsl?

With a little bit of effort, I'm pretty sure you could bridge the internet from the computer that's dialed in to the one that isn't (or through an entire router system) via an ethernet cable (provided you both have ports), but at dial up speeds, two people being on the internet at the same time would just be brutal and really wouldn't be worth the effort.

When I had DSL, I had about 1.5 Mbps (right now I have ~6 Mbps cable, but only because we got tired of the DSL companies and that's the lowest cable option in the local cable ISP). 1.5 Mbps was and still is plenty for me. The lower option was 256 kbps but has since been upped to about 0.75 Mbps. 256 kbps would probably be a little low if you were sharing the internet with anyone, but 0.75 Mbps seems plenty fine, especially if you're used to dial-up.

I get about 100 Mbps on my DSL.

100 Mbps on DSL? Isn't 100 Mbps the transfer speed of a standard Ethernet cable?

...this might be the most idiotic series of comments I have ever read in my life.

TRD: Your connection says "100 mbps" because that's what your network adapter is made to transmit at. Newer network cards are capable of gigabit speeds, but yours isn't.

Furthermore, DSL, nay, no ISPs transmit at 100 mbps. You CAN choose your connection speed; it's called "paying more money"...

sonic1991ssj3AwesomeShadow: A short trip to Wiki, Google, Verizon.net, etc would have gotten your information significantly faster and more informed:

Speed Packages

(Download/Upload)

768kbit/s / 128kbit/s

1.5Mbit/s / 128kbit/s

1.5Mbit/s / 384kbit/s

3Mbit/s / 768kbit/s

7.1Mbit/s / 768kbit/s

Also, don't be an idiot, a megabit != megabyte.

(i.e. - 7 megabits = 0.875 megabytes)

A side note; after setting up a gigabit network in a firm I was hired to do, I noticed that even SATA drives can't keep up with the transmission rates possible with gigabit technology. Maybe its because the drives' spinup time was shitty or something, but it's amazing how "slow" shit still is.

I wanted to test how fast flash drives could transfer from one another, but didn't have time. I almost feel that random access would be terrible tho on a flash drive.

Anyway, the point of my rambling post is that you're all idiots.

Love how you lord your technical, self-indulgent trivia and anecdotes of varying irrelevance over the "idiotic masses," yet do not even attempt answer his simple, non-technical question of "what speeds do you guys have and how do does it suit you?"

I love how you get increasingly more annoying each topic, Kain.

I take it you're referring to my WoW post? That was just a failed quip. I always found it weird that so many tooltips were recycled from Warcraft 3, but I meant no insult to the game if that's what you're thinking.

Epon's post was out-right obnoxious and unhelpful, though.

No need to assume feelings were hurt and nerves frayed. Like you said, it's the interbutts and I know that plenty well. You made a silly little aggressively-worded comment and I called you on it, 'sall. 'Cause it's a help topic, after all. Makin' appearances and whatnot.