A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

MP3 Playing - ARGH!

I've tried so many different ways to attempt playback of MP3s in my MMF apps but every solution more or less comes up with a problem. ModFX has countless bugs that totally ruins the app. (Freezing it upon exiting frame, dying if the MP3 isn't found or valid, blah blah blah...) DMC2 appears to have a commercial license and the one I'm using now is supposed to be an all in one media player. (No it's not Winamp, I'm using something called VideoPro, which oddly enough can't be found at the current extension site...) The object isn't even designed for MP3s, mostly videos.

I know it's possible...I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Anyone able to help here?

Installing the newest bonus packs helped fixing my modfx.

What i used to do was put all my music in an .swf (flash) file and use the active x shokwave flash component to play the swf in my app/game.

(each music would have it's own frame on the flash timeline)

But maybe this is a little complicated for such a simple thing. ^^

I usually use DMC2. You can also use Direct Show. Do you use ModFX3 or the older version? Because I'd recomend you use 3. Also, you should tell it to stop playing at the end of the frame or include the extension in the next frame. The file object also helps so you can say to only play if the song exists.

I can't use DMC2 because of this supposed commercial license I keep running into that prevented me from using the object correctly. I tried using Directshow once but I could never get it to play SQUAT. And from what I heard, ModFX3 doesn't yet have MP3 support.

And while the flash solution sounds like a unique one I don't have anything to make SWFs with. =<

You could try DirectShow again. Please note that the actions should be:

Set Loop On

Load Video "full path to your MP3 file with extension"

Play Video

It will surely work with any MP3 file, except those which are compressed with codecs unsupported by DirectShow, but that's unlikely to happen.

Either my version of DirectShow is retarded or my computer just doesn't like it because it skips, statics and all sorts of stuff when attempting to play an MP3.

DMC likes to cry about bass.dll and it being commercial and stuff. I remembered that trying to get it to work just now. I don't have this dll though I've seen many games package it with their apps so I assume many people use DMC...I guess I'll just have to look into that more.

Original post by JJames19119

I've tried so many different ways to attempt playback of MP3s in my MMF apps but every solution more or less comes up with a problem... ...I know it's possible...I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Anyone able to help here?

You could try using the MCI Object. MMF should come with an example that shows how to use it. It works with MP3 files, you just have to make it play them. It even gets you the time into and duration of the file, for making it loop or a sound test sort of thing where it shows the time into the file. You don't need any DLL files or anything, and you can play from or to a position. It will also work with WAV and MIDI files, and it could work with any music file(Though this is not guaranteed). Try it and see.

I PMed him about that and he said he already developed a working method. I used to use MCI, but it requires a specific driver that everyone doesn't have, so I use DMC2 and those other extensions mention in the above posts.