A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A+ Certification...

I was just wondering, since I know there are a lot of saavy tech people here: is anyone here CompTia A+ certified? I'm asking because I want to get into field technician work and it complements what my work in the Navy was well(Electronic Technician). Just want to get an idea of how long it took others to complete, since I'm studying it now and it' so dry o_o.... Though I'm sure there's probably people here who know it all off the back of their hand anyway. :squestion:

I can see where you're coming from with that. I couldn't imagine taking a class for it. I figure I can study for about 2 weeks to a month and get a certification using a book(right now just using the Mike Meyes A+ Passport) and online cram sheets. The thing is, if you don't have a 4 year degree(perhaps an Associates in EETech or Military/Vocational as I do) and you need to work through school, it's very very good to have ;p... I can get a decent job as a Printer/PC/etc tech, or a general IT with it. I would imagine with a 4 year degree you'd need other kind of certs, but degrees alone nowadays barely get you through the door, and definately aren't a sole distinguishing factor

Just happy to know it's not just me who thinks this thing is a drag.

:tsleep:

Heh the problem is that I have job experience(2 years), with no certification -___-; I did some research and found most field techs or PC repair techs are required or preferred to be A+ certified. Experience is not all you need nowadays.

For a lot of "big company" positions(Microsoft, Toshiba, Cannon), you need Experience, Education[ironically you need experience for a lot of "entry level" jobs anyway), and Certifications). Btw, How the heck can that class stretch for 6 months? o.o... From what I'm reading, it looks like you can pass the test and get the basics(which is all I really care about) with a few weeks :/.