A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Hi everyone!

bubblesnout

Just thought I'd say hi. I've been lurking on these forums for about a year, but I used to hang around a few years ago too. Just interested in all the projects people had going, and the progress that they are gaining.

I used to use MMF back then. I since sorta left behind the idea of making my own stuff; partly because I got bored too quickly, and partly because the computer I was using back then was years and years old, so it had trouble even running some simple MMF stuff. I'm nearly 19 now, so I would've been 15 or so then, so I didn't exactly have any money.

Now, I've finished school, and I'm working as a software developer (mainly web development), and I'm learning on the job. I'm doing mainly ASP.Net stuff (C#) and MS SQL, with a little bit of Lotus Domino here and there (*erkh*). I've also taught myself php, but that's all the same concepts really, just a few bits and bobs here and there.

At the moment, I'm looking to get back into the idea of game development; things that are a bit more exciting that business applications for government councils and the like. I'm starting to delve into the deep end, that is C++, hopefully managing to get far enough to be able to tackle some OpenGL stuff. I'll just take it slowly and see what I manage!

Anyway, I just decided that even if I don't post much, I wanted to say hi and get involved with the little community around here!

Welcome. Thanks for signing up. Good luck with your programming endeavours, another ground up game would be amazing.

As a side note, I know it's for work and all, but stay away from ASP. C# is actually pretty cool but for web development.. stay away from ASP. Not that you have a choice. Stick to PHP and Ruby for the web stuff you know, it's more valuable to you down the road.

Also, I recommend messing around with Arc, a flavor of Lisp. It's trendy right now, it's amazingly easy, and I don't think enough games are built on Lisp. Here is a really nice primer.

So now that I have shoved my personal beliefs onto you, welcome to SFGHQ.

Welcome. Thanks for signing up. Good luck with your programming endeavours, another ground up game would be amazing.

As a side note, I know it's for work and all, but stay away from ASP. C# is actually pretty cool but for web development.. stay away from ASP. Not that you have a choice. Stick to PHP and Ruby for the web stuff you know, it's more valuable to you down the road.

Also, I recommend messing around with Arc, a flavor of Lisp. It's trendy right now, it's amazingly easy, and I don't think enough games are built on Lisp. Here is a really nice primer.

So now that I have shoved my personal beliefs onto you, welcome to SFGHQ.

Actually, I much prefer working in ASP.Net to php. Remember, it's ASP.Net, not just plain old ASP. If that's what you're talking about, then I agree with you whole-heartedly. I agree that php is better for web sites, for a few reasons. It seems to be quicker, and it's much cheaper to host on an apache with MySQL setup, and more efficient. But for business grade applications, php wouldn't hold up anywhere near as well. ASP.Net is just much more solid. Read up on it's skills with Strongly Typed Datasets, and it's greatness of DAL and BLL building. It's very very clean.

I've never heard of 'Arc', so I'll have a look at that tonight maybe. I've just had a look at Microsofts XNA, and although it doesn't look all that terribly powerful, it looks like a bit of fun to play around with. And I don't need to learn another language either, as it uses C#.