A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Wii light gun games kick ass

Slingerland

This holiday season, all I have been doing is shooting shit on my television screen. My younger brother was on the receiving end of my Wii Zapper present and while I hate the damn peripheral itself, I cannot get enough of Link's Crossbow Training. Reliving the Twilight Princess areas was not only awesome, but incredibly fun, especially in "ranger" mode.

For Christmas, I received Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles and my preferred light gun shell, the Nyko Perfect Shot. It trumps the Wii Zapper on all fronts and it's awesome to hold a pistol. Playing Resident Evil 4 with it is the bee's knees. Check it out:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/841/841403p1.html

Umbrella Chronicles is a fantastic, deep, and lengthy light gun game. I have invested 20 hours into it already and I'm not finished with it. It's not as graphically proficient as Resident Evil 4, but I'm still impressed with how they turned each RE game before it into a "nutshell," on-rails version. I found it more enjoying than playing the originals. I didn't like the exclusion of Resident Evil 2 though.

Then, I traded in Pokemans Battle Revolution for Ghost Squad (clean trade btw, didn't have to pay extra). Ghost Squad is the spiritual successor to the Virtua Cop series and I love every bit of it, cheesy cutscenes and all. With the Nyko Perfect Shot, you can actually calibrate the IR well enough to where you can use "no reticule" mode like a champion. It is definately an enjoyable romp, even though there are only three missions which change slightly with branching paths as you beat the level each time. Even though the game is short, I can't say no to the $30 price tag, Dreamcastic graphics, and 4-player party mode. 4-player light gun game? Rad!

House of the Dead 2 & 3 are coming to the Wii, on one disc, as well. I'm definately excited for that game and more light gun installments. I have always beeen a fan of light gun games, because they're easy, yet exciting to play.

What is your take on light gun games and/or the future of the genre on the Wii? Would you like to see new strides in the genre, like Link Crossbow Training's "Ranger" mode? I think it sets up for some GTA clones/3rd person shooters to make their way over to Nintendo country.

I'm tempted to go off on a rant about how dumb Link's Crossbow Training is in concept, but I digress, only because I might pick up Umbrella Chronicles, seeing as I've only played RE4.

Time Crisis would be really awesome, though. I want to sit at home and lower the gun to reload and stuff with a buddy where I don't have to yell over a thousand screaming kids.

Damn didn't know about House of the Dead, but I am damn glad they're porting it to the Wii, playing with the Zapper is a ton of fun.

I haven't had any trouble getting perfect shots in RE:UC with the Wii Zapper though, although I think I might pick up the Nyko Perfect shot so I have another light gun attachment for my friend Player 2 (That and it's cheaper than the official Wii Zapper and I don't need 2 copies of Link's Crossbow training)

I told you RE:UC is an awesome awesome game.

I agree with Slingerland on the zapper, it sucks major balls. I'm fine with the Remote/Nunchuck combo, so I don't plan on buying any more guns. RE:UC is awesome, probably one of the best light gun games ever.House of the Dead 2+3 is a good idea, but I wish they had the original in it too.

It LOOKS awesome, but nothing capcom gives us will make up for the fact Wii isnt getting RE5.

After playing Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, I doubt I'm going to go back to aiming with shitty analog sticks.

I've actually played and beaten ghost squad in arcades, f'in hillarious and awesome light gun game, but you get a bitchin rifle to use while playing that, dunno how well that translates to the zapper, but I might try out that nyko one with umbrella chronicles. Let's see how money goes this week :o

Seems like I might have to pick this up. I've never been fond of the the way the zapper looks but, seeing this one, I just love how it looks and that it doesn't hold accessories, just the Wiimote. Although... I'm super-broke right now and I probably wont be picking it up until a game that does something like

, pops up. ='(

I have Link's Crossbow training and RE:UC, and I enjoy them very much. RE:UC seems to me to be one of the best lightgun type games ever. It has huge replay values, great multiplayer, pretty good graphics, an engaging storyline, and kick ass gameplay. It can be a little difficult here and there, but in the end it's awesome.

Link is innately proficient in bows, spiky balls attatched to chains, crazy magic lacrosse-stick that makes statues go alive, spinning surf-board cog things, dual-wielding grapple shots, and, of course, the crazy never-fail boomerangs. But when it comes to the simple point-and-click crossbow, Link needs training.

Link is innately proficient in bows, spiky balls attatched to chains, crazy magic lacrosse-stick that makes statues go alive, spinning surf-board cog things, dual-wielding grapple shots, and, of course, the crazy never-fail boomerangs. But when it comes to the simple point-and-click crossbow, Link needs training.

Lol. Forgot master jockey and animal herder, and musician(ocarina).