A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Got my new computer today

DimensionWarped

So yeah... specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600

eVGA NVidia Geforce 8800 GT (512 MB)

Asus P5N-E SLI Nvidia nForce 650i SLI Mother Board

2 GB (2x1024) MB DDR2 PC6400 MEMORY

Ultra Products X3 600W Modular Power Supply

320 GB harddrive... don't remember much else about it.

Anyway...

I also got Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition (groan) and I'm having some rather annoying driver issues... which are causing way too many blue screens. (namely while playing games) I don't really know what to get either... and since this specific computer doesn't have any network card in it yet, I was hoping on of you guys would help me figure out what I need to get so that I can put it on a CD and get it ready. And no, I don't really know what specific drivers are giving me the issues.

In other news, Vista's first service pack had a release candidate release rather recently... I hear it sucks a reasonable amount less.

Oh, and also Command And Conquer 3 won't play because it seems to be incapable of detecting that I have direct X at all... probably because it doesn't use Direct X 9l and for some reason, I can't play shit with directX 10 right now... Hell Gate London won't even get to the player select screen with it enabled -_-.

First of all....Grats on the new pc.

Downgrade now!

:D

I dunno, for the stuff you do on a daily basis I just don't see why even mess with Vista at this time, you haven't even gotten the chance to experience DX10. I know XP doesn't have DX10 support, but I say wait it out.

Other than that, i really can't give you Vista advice, haven't dabbled in the realm of hell yet.

Dual booting is nice and all, but I'd also like to figure out whats wrong with the OS that I paid for instead of just working with the one I nabbed...

Its on my prioirities list, don't get me wrong... but I'd like to have Vista working as well.

EDIT:

In other news, I made this post with my new computer. Just installed a random wireless card. Surprisingly, Vista does have nice wireless connection stuff which is a good bit more user friendly than XP's.

Awesome, now you must get PSU: Aoi and a subscription and have fun with the rest of us, dammit.

(That is of course, if you're a Phantasy Star fan, dunno. I remember you mentioning that you would play, but couldn't because your previous PC sucked.)

Still, congrats.

I'm an enthusiast programmer and I just bought 1200 dollars worth of hardware...

What the fuck kind of gamer do you think I am? No offense.

I'm just saying. A lot of gamers I know use XP, or have dual boot. Vista's great and all. It's just that its compatibility issues makes it suck. Personally, I'd rather have a iMac that Vista.

Side Note: Get Crysis!

Must be nice having a totally new computer.

I just got a slight hardware upgrade a few months ago that lead to all this HDD incompatibility nonsense that I'm still dealing with. Plus, the PC likes to spontaneously freeze every now and then with no reason as to why (I've checked the RAM and everything), especially when I'm doing stuff in MMF or PSP7, meaning I'm always saving like a madman out of paranoia. Oh, and, one of the fans inside the case in the last couple weeks has started making a horrific grinding sound whenever I first turn it on (which, thankfully, I actually have the money to fix that - I just have to dip in to my christmas spending money).

LOL id pay money to watch him try to get PSU to run on Vista

Is that an offer? Because I'll do a complete Youtube/Veoh TV/whatever series if you make it worth my while.

In other news, I just finished getting Service Pack 1 and am now updating my Geforce 8800 GT drivers. After that, I'll be updating whatever other drivers seem to be issuant.

Vista is in fact driving me nuts, not even because of the blue screens while playing games right now so much as because of the fact that while idling, its at 30 freakin' percent of my RAM usage... out of 2 GB of physical ram! Thats almost 700MB! Its completely inexcusable.

Outside of the whole RAM usage issue, I haven't had very many problems with Vista Business at all. Then again I'm not trying to run any games outside of Advent Rising and Grand Theft Auto 2 at the moment. Did your computer come installed with Vista Home or did you install it afterwards?

Dual boot, you have the HD space. I've had Vista grow on me lately. I'm not a huge game player, but I've had shit like Worms Armageddon crap out w/ Vista, so I understand your pain if you love your video games. But no need to uninstall and format!

DW, honestly if you were to get Vista to work with anything, you'd be the only one in the world.

Wrong, he'd be the second one in the world at the most...I've got all my stuff working.

DW: I don't know, I'm not particularly fond of 64-bit anything at the moment...still pretty lacking in support. I have yet to have one major problem with my 32-bit installation...all my games and devices work without hitch. I bet if it's anything, it's probably the 64-bit and the instability of the drivers that's holding you back...

Heh, humorously enough, driver issues were crashing everything I did... but now that I have service pack 1, it just gives you an annoying little message at the bottom right about how a driver had an error and goes on about its merry business. Happy days.

Oh, but the ram usage is still completely fucking retarded.

Anyway, Hellgate London runs like a charm now with full settings (though I still haven't tried DX 10 mode) and I finally have a computer that runs Morrowind in all of its horridly programmed glory at 60 frames per second. I even have Command and Conquer 3 working like a charm now at full settings. Now all I need to do is overclock my processor to 3 ghz, switch to water cooling because the horrendously loud fan keeping this thing cool is going to keep me awake at night, and wait it out for Geforce 9 series before getting my next graphics card instead of wasting my time on SLI like I had been planning to do. Oh, and dual boot XP because in spite of all of these successes, it would be nice to have a computer that didn't suck up more ram idling than my old one did with 3 gpu-intensive games and 2 instances of 3ds max running.