A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Tell about your country/town

PkR

XD

Some (REALLY) random facts about life Brazil:

• Lemons are green, not yellow
  • Just like Japanese television is incredibly based on Animes, Brazillian television is incredibly based on Soap Operas. (My opinion about them is that they really suck.)
  • The Mega Drive is still manufactured here.
  • We have some types of soft drinks which are probably unknown to the rest of the world. Like Guaraná and Mate Couro.
  • Breakfast is not as important here as it is to Americans and to many others.
  • McDonald's needed many time to create "spin-off" products, never seen elsewhere, because people were getting bored of the same food.
  • We have a really high index of race mix... So it's not possible to define a default Brazillian race.
  • Unfortunatly, our government underestimates the potential of Railroads... So all the transports is basicly done by Highways, and this makes everything much more expensive.
  • It's incredibly rare to have earthquakes, tornados or whatever climate disasters here in Brazil. We have no volcanoes, too.
  • A good amount of the public schools, specially the ones on the smallest cities, are incredibly BAD. To the point of basic alphabetization papers mistaking the first letter of "Zebra".

XD

Some (REALLY) random facts about life Brazil:

• Lemons are green, not yellow
  • Just like Japanese television is incredibly based on Animes, Brazillian television is incredibly based on Soap Operas. (My opinion about them is that they really suck.)
  • The Mega Drive is still manufactured here.
  • We have some types of soft drinks which are probably unknown to the rest of the world. Like Guaraná and Mate Couro.
  • Breakfast is not as important here as it is to Americans and to many others.
  • McDonald's needed many time to create "spin-off" products, never seen elsewhere, because people were getting bored of the same food.
  • We have a really high index of race mix... So it's not possible to define a default Brazillian race.
  • Unfortunatly, our government underestimates the potential of Railroads... So all the transports is basicly done by Highways, and this makes everything much more expensive.
  • It's incredibly rare to have earthquakes, tornados or whatever climate disasters here in Brazil. We have no volcanoes, too.
  • A good amount of the public schools, specially the ones on the smallest cities, are incredibly BAD. To the point of basic alphabetization papers mistaking the first letter of "Zebra".

XD Soooooooo true.

Don't forget that the slums make the rules in the big citties.

I live around 39ºN 85ºW: Indianapolis, IN.

What can I say? It's the largest city in Indiana. The downtown is actually really small, but the city is spread throughout the county. The metro area spreads into the surrounding eight counties, which makes the population close to 2 million. (800,000 are in the city limits.)

Fun facts:

-The most common nickname for Indianapolis is ‘Indy’. Other nicknames include ‘Circle City’ (after Monument Circle) and ‘Naptown’ (presumably shortened from ‘IndiaNAPolis’, but often taken derogatorily to mean "sleepy" or "boring"). Also said to have possibly come from former local radio station WNAP, often simply called NAP, which was popular in the 1970s and 1980s.

-Both of the United States Navy ships named USS Indianapolis were named for this city (carried materials for the atomic bomb in World War II).

-Indianapolis is the international headquarters of the pharmaceutical corporation Eli Lilly and Company, the US headquarters of Roche Diagnostics and Thomson SA, and the world headquarters of Dow AgroSciences.

-Indianapolis is the headquaters of the Kiwanis International organization, since 1982. Kiwanis International serves the children of the world. The organization and it's youth sponsored Kiwanis Family counterparts, Circle K International and Key Club International, conducts all its international business and service initiatives here while at the same time giving a positive image of Indianapolis to the outside world.

-Indianapolis' Union Station, one of the busiest rail depots in its time, employed a young Thomas Edison as a telegraph operator.

-The Bob and Tom Show is based out of WFBQ, Q95.

Famous people born in Indianapolis:

John Dillinger

Vivica A. Fox

Jared Fogle (Subway diet guy)

Brendan Fraser (George of the Jungle, the Mummy)

David Letterman

James Whitcomb Riley, writer (Little Orphan Annie)

Marc Summers, game show host (think Double Dare and What Would You Do? on Nick)

Sister cities:

- Cologne (Germany)

- Monza (Italy)

- Scarborough/Toronto (Ontario, Canada)

- Piran (Slovenia)

- Taipei (Taiwan)

Well, to be completely honest, I actually live in Lawrence, IN. However, we still have an Indianapolis zip code (46xxx), and we vote for the mayor of Indy as well as Lawrence. There are about 40,000 people in Lawrence.

Soon, I will be moving to Muncie, which is about 40 minutes by car from here. It has a population of 67,000 and hosts Ball State University with has an additional 20,000 students. Such alumni include David Letterman, Garfield creator Jim Davis and the founder of Papa John's, John Schnatter.

My town? well... its.. not that great, literally, its full of posers and smog and ignorant dumbass people, espically in school.

Oh, you must live in the "ass-crap" section of LA.[/jk]

Up here in the mountains, it's all good. I wouldn't mind seeing you at some point. Oh, and the punch to my face would be so worth it. :P

EDIT: Don't worry, though; I know what you're talking about. Which is why I'm never going near Westchester again... 4 years is long enough. -_-;

Oh, you must live in the "ass-crap" section of LA.[/jk]

Up here in the mountains, it's all good. I wouldn't mind seeing you at some point. Oh, and the punch to my face would be so worth it. :P

EDIT: Don't worry, though; I know what you're talking about. Which is why I'm never going near Westchester again... 4 years is long enough. -_-;

ass-crap being G.Hills right?

:<

Point Pleasant Beach, NJ. The Jerzy Shore, baby. Home of Jenks, the Original Mike's Subs, and the bassist & guitarists from Stone Temple Pilots.

I go to school in Melbourne, FL, where there's absolutely NOTHING to do other than get ____faced or beach it up year round. I currently partake in both.

I live in Parker, South Dakota. It sucks and there is nothing here. People who come here for the county fair are sometimes suprised that we have electricity and running water. Up to 100 degrees in the summer, down to 15 below in winter.

It sucks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm moving to North Dakota this summer. Whooooooh!