A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Overload 2!

null1024

Hm its ok so far

Just get some level designing tips. My friend wrote the golden rules and i actually made a level in his game for a test and he used it.

Also i think theres a GM tutorial for people following you.

You need a few better sprites as well as the chat boxes.

I'm quite disappointed in this. Up until now, I've given you advice with each demo and test, and you haven't applied any of it.

Acceleration and max speed is way too high. Add slopes. Add enemies. Try to make your levels feel Sonic-like. Add gimmicks, don't overuse springs, add multiple paths, etc. I'd like to see this improve.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would post a fangame demo until it's almost perfect unless they really needed advice. I know I won't show anything until it's ready (the only exception being the crappy level design in the last ET:CF demo, but there was a date I needed it done anyway).

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but I've seen little improvement since the first demo. You know the basics of GM programming, but there's still a lot more you should learn. Look up some tutorials. The help forums are here for a reason. Good luck.

Sorry, old demo.

Demo 4 is huge though (Speed Highway Zone's ogg music is not compressing nearly as well as i thought (but it is 1 meg smaller than last time i tried to compress it))

This demo is here because my computer is screwing up uploads.

(eg, the attachment system fails at the last minute)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, old demo.

Demo 4 is huge though (Speed Highway Zone's ogg music is not compressing nearly as well as i thought (but it is 1 meg smaller than last time i tried to compress it))

This demo is here because my computer is screwing up uploads.

(eg, the attachment system fails at the last minute)

Quit making excuses for why your game sucks. It doesn't matter if it's an old demo, because you posted it. If you're going to post a demo...remember to post a more recent demo. You've used this "old demo" line at least 6 times and each one...Rael and I are give you helpful advice to fix your game, but you change nothing.

It doesn't matter how HUGE a level is...if it sucks (and it does), I'm not going to want to play said HUGE level. Boost factory is boring. You don't boost, nor is it a factory...it's MS paint throw up.

Ring loss and slopes would be nice...of course...ring loss isn't necessary with the way you have rings set up...everywhere. You just stacked rings and ring boxes all up in that _____ and called it a fun game.

Usually...I like people's demos, but after playing the same one in 4 different iterations that aren't that different to begin with, it's time to stop. So...stop, please. Finish the whole thing...then come back and tell us what's up. Sorry if I sound like a dick, but this just agitates me for some reason.

Ok, i'll finish.

*goes off to fix game after going to old fourm to read advice*

Ok, i'm working on a concepts for new Boost Factory stuff, see PNG attached

(this is basicly concepts all squished into a 320x240 png)

Gotta agree with the other guys, I've played your demo but from what I've heard and seen i don't think It'll be that good. As for this Boost factory, I'd find a better name, and that .PNG image I make the concepts more original and more "factory" like. Chemical plant Zone is a prime example of what a factory should be like, unless this is some uber-happy factory in which flowers and pixies are mass-produced...

Gotta agree with the other guys, I've played your demo but from what I've heard and seen i don't think It'll be that good. As for this Boost factory, I'd find a better name, and that .PNG image I make the concepts more original and more "factory" like. Chemical plant Zone is a prime example of what a factory should be like, unless this is some uber-happy factory in which flowers and pixies are mass-produced...

No, this is the factory where eggman makes his boost panels.

There's a test screenshot in devscreens.zip included in this post

There's an ingame shot and the new BG in ingame.zip

The whole time playing, I felt like the stage was unstable and I was going to fall any minute. The stage needs more elements to it to make it feel "complete" and "real."

Honestly, the only time I felt like that was in Boost Factory Act 2 (where i thought i would hit the beams of death any minute now)

I'm going to agree with Slingerland here... you haven't improved anything engine wise at all throughout all 3 demos since the first one.

The only thing I can see that is different in this demo, is oh wow, you added on an afterimage, rather than fixing up the annoying engine.

So if you're making some all new wonderful engine, what was the point of putting out another demo?

It seems to me, that you should've listened to the advice given and remade/fixed up the engine long ago, like most people were telling you to do.

And there's no real details in your blog about your 'Epsilon Engine' it just states that it's better... which being better than the current engine isn't difficult to do.

It won't be any different. Someone2040 has summarized all of our words into a handy sentence:

"So if you're making some all new wonderful engine, what was the point of putting out another demo?"

Can't beat that logic.

EDIT: just noticed this comment - "which being better than the current engine isn't difficult to do."

XD

Don't stack items and enemies like that.

The way the cutscene is laid out is very strange. Redo it and try to make it seem less akward.

I have nothing else to say that hasn't been said already.

Ok, I just fixed the 1st problem.

Oh, and the Epsilon engine co-developer just went on vacation, so it won't be fully implemented in SOL2

From your blog:

Well, not many people like SOL2 (Sonic Overload 2), but that's all going to change with the Epsilon engine (coded by me and Beninnator). This new engine is several times better, and has several times more polish. Currently, we are working on Light Dashing (when Sonic dashes through a string of rings) and Homing Attack.

Well...looks like that's not happening. Your blog doesn't really give any indicatoin on what makes it so special to begin with. Second, what does this mean?:

The engine will be 100% compatible with Sonic Overload 2's engine.

Are you going to have two engines? I don't understand this compatibility thing you speak of? If it's not stop-dead, built-in MMF crap, then I'll take the Epsilon any day, but what is it? Is it static, mei?

From your blog:

Well...looks like that's not happening. Your blog doesn't really give any indicatoin on what makes it so special to begin with. Second, what does this mean?:

Are you going to have two engines? I don't understand this compatibility thing you speak of? If it's not stop-dead, built-in MMF crap, then I'll take the Epsilon any day, but what is it? Is it static, mei?

All GM engines are static.

(side note: The TGF built in movement is better than MMF's, so any engine would be better, but GM has no built in movement system like the clickteam products)

Oh, and would anyone like to see the new BFZ design (it's 100% better (that wasn't hard.))

I have a stand alone of the single level (acts 1&2 (1 is a complete re-do, 2 is adjusted to support the new camera system)

Oh, and the whole compatiblity thing means I could replace the old engine easily.

PS: You actually got to that page before it was deleted? Wow, I thought Blogger had messed up and destroyed the page (it didn't post properly)

Boost Factory:

Completly redid Act 1, adjusted Act 2 to be easier and to work with the new camera movement system.

Oh, and as a side note:

Sorry about actually releasing Sonic Brix. I was half awake (i was very tired), but noe my senses have returned.