A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Turbo 2 Demo Revised

TRD

Uh, I'm not sure if WinRAR can unzip this file type, but if you use 7-zip and compress the game into a .7z archive, it's usually compressed much tighter than a .rar.

Downloading it right now. I'll edit my post later with commenty goodness.

It can unzip 7zip if you set it up to do so. The size difference is minscule, though.

No no TRD, .rar unzips for me fine, I was just suggesting. =P

Haven't gotten around to playing it yet, BUT I WILL NOT FORGET!

@Aero: Actually when I was playing with it, a .rar turned a 35mb file into 3.6mb while a .7z turned it into 2.8mb. I thought that seeing as down to three and a half was already a lot, I figured it was pretty good if it shunk it down close to another megabyte.

Edit: Got around to playing it.

I liked your little appreciation startup. =P

Moving on, I thought the design for the title screen was definately different than anything I've seen, though I was kinda expecting the objects to move in a circle instead of highlighting; doesn't mean it wasn't just as good.

The bg set for your level was great. I really felt like I was running down a highway instead of across recolored background images. I agree with the others that the level was a bit linear in some places, but I enjoyed it anyhow (even if it was moving at 10fps =P).

One last thing I thought was a nice touch was your traffic cone enemy. Tricked me the first time. XD

Btw, just a hint on the street light glow. I'd try out the Additive effect on it. Just color the glow at something like R96,G96,B0 as you want to make it a color that will add the color yellow to anything under it.

It depends on a lot of stuff. Since the main source of space is the already-compressed-to-hell music files, I'm guessing further compression won't work too well. however, I'm now attempting to 7-zip it with various insanely high compression levels just to see (granted I don't know the best options to pick).

Yea, the differences are insignificant. Like 25.3 MB .zip, 24.9 .rar, to 24.7 MB .7z (I'm using the old .mp3 version, but I doubt you'll experiencing anything different with the assumingly more-compressed .ogg music files). Since smallest .7z took like 4 minutes to compress/decompress, it's not worth it in any sense, really.

I liked your little appreciation startup. =P

I totally would have made you one, but I'm not sure what represents you, if you can give me something that does, I'll definitely make you one for the full version, you did alot for the engine. ^_^

Moving on, I thought the design for the title screen was definately different than anything I've seen, though I was kinda expecting the objects to move in a circle instead of highlighting; doesn't mean it wasn't just as good.

Thanks, I probably would've done it if I wasn't chased away with the code work. >_>

I agree with the others that the level was a bit linear in some places, but I enjoyed it anyhow (even if it was moving at 10fps =P).

Darn, 10fps? I moved to MMF2 to prevent that. Guess it didn't help. =[

Thanks though. The next levels will be less linear.

One last thing I thought was a nice touch was your traffic cone enemy. Tricked me the first time. XD

Awesome, I knew that would get someone, Cone Drone ftw. lol

Btw, just a hint on the street light glow. I'd try out the Additive effect on it. Just color the glow at something like R96,G96,B0 as you want to make it a color that will add the color yellow to anything under it.

I'll definitely try that, thanks.

Thank you everyone for playing this, I'm now more motivated than ever to finish this game.

Also, I'm dying to know what everyone thought of my Metal Sonic boss. =3

There was a boss?!? XD

I died at a part where I had to jump down but fell into spikes that surrounded a lone spring. I lost my rings and got killed me at almost the same time. ( probably due to the speed the game was running at ) Then instead of putting me back at the checkpoint, it restarted the level and since I had 5 minutes at that point to get out of the house and catch the bus, I exited. =P

I'll try it again when I'm not as busy with homework and such.

Thanks, I probably would've done it if I wasn't chased away with the code work. >_>

After coding that gimmick for the contest entry I think I know the code to do such a thing all too well. ( hint hint *points at self* )

Darn, 10fps? I moved to MMF2 to prevent that. Guess it didn't help. =[

Thanks though. The next levels will be less linear.

Don't worry about it; every Worlds game I seem to play after backgrounds are implemented slow the heck down on my comp. *needs a new one*

I totally would have made you one, but I'm not sure what represents you, if you can give me something that does, I'll definitely make you one for the full version, you did alot for the engine. ^_^

That's uh....a hard one. =P I guess since I've been doing it for so long and it's what got me into programming, I guess Sonic engines are something that represents me. *lark also thinks he didn't help that much on the engine to even deserve one*

Then instead of putting me back at the checkpoint, it restarted the level and since I had 5 minutes at that point to get out of the house and catch the bus, I exited. =P

I can't believe it freaking did that, I just checked it and you are right, the freaking checkpoints worked in the last demo I made, and I set them to global. =\

All these bugs just show up out of nowhere. I hope you can deal without checkpoints for now, but I WILL fix them. Freaking hate MMF.

I died at a part where I had to jump down but fell into spikes that surrounded a lone spring.

Actually, you had to wait for the crane, then jump up. >_>

I'll make some kind of warning or heads up sign for that.

I'm definitely going to be checking this demo out when I get home tonight. Looks promising.

Glad to here that, but hold off until I make a better, more reliable version, I found the source of the slowdowns and I'm fixing them, I'm also making a new checkpoints system. Hopefully after this, everything will run smooth.

EDIT: And Done. Download from first link as usual.

So I checked the demo out and was really surprised at how much work you've put into it. I had fun with the demo level, and the boss battle was pretty awesome. As some have mentioned, some aspects are a little rough, but that's to be expected with a demo. Also what's the sonic silhouette in the top right for?

Just an idea to throw in to make the turbo rings more than just a replacement collection game for the emeralds, is to grant sonic and co. new abilities or enhancements.

I'm liking what I played so far, keep up the good work.

Thanks, I did put alot of work into to it, I'll get those bugs ironed out for sure.

Also what's the sonic silhouette in the top right for?

You've kinda mentioned it's purpose here:

Just an idea to throw in to make the turbo rings more than just a replacement collection game for the emeralds, is to grant sonic and co. new abilities or enhancements.

It's actually an upgrade indicator, there's 3 upgrades in the game that Sonic must find in order to use them. The Turbo Ring idea you have is not bad neither, and I might revive it. (It was originally an idea, and I did put it into effect, but some strange bugs showed up and I had to take them out.)

Thanks again for your review.

Hoj, you can DL Sonic Turbo 1 from the main site, if the link from my website is not working, sorry about that, the server I'm currently using is not a really good one, especially with files over 10mb. I'll upload it to mediafire and post it here when I get back home.

Hrmm... I had massive slowdown on my computer (Ok, yeah it is a piece of shite, only 256mb of ram) when the Bridge gets exploded - It was taking so long to get to the bottom I had to exit it. It was running a whole lot better than on previous demo's though before that part, so at the very least optimizations show.

Played it on my laptop next to me though which has about 3x as much ram, and quite enjoyed the demo. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. That slowdown issue should be eliminated now with the new demo I posted yesterday, also alot of bugs have been eliminated, try that one out if you want.

Hoj: You're right, both links for Sonic Turbo 1 are down. =\

So here:

Sonic Turbo

Warning: This was my first game, so don't expect alot from it. >_>;

• 2 months later...