A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Baby Born With Third Arm

wesker

Dude, I hope they don't cut it off... if it's functional, that kid would totally kick ass in so many ways. We need to mate him with that woman whose knees bend the other way. (If only I could find that link.. it was a fwe years ago...)

...and Bizarre baby totally looks fake. If you want something that will truly turn you off your next meal and keep you awake tonight, go do a GIS for "cloverleaf skull" - consider yourself warned.

=Smidge=

Question is: If this is the first case of such an extra limb being this developed, does that mean human beings may be evolving the need for an extra limb?

I thought this, which is why I'm hoping they don't remove it.

I don't really think we need it, but having another hand would be awesome.

Oh, on the evolution topic...

No! Evolution doesn't work that way. Having two functional arms is more advantageous than having 3 arms with one that is functional and the other two that have screwed up nerve pathing (which is my assumption for why either arm hurts when it is touched and could explain a lot of the disfunctionality). And changes like that don't occur in nature. You don't see any mammal species with extra limbs. Also, because of the nature of evolution, it doesn't really apply to humans any more. Strength and intellect grant you barely any advantage in extending your offspring, and the ability to do more because you have a third arm certainly wouldn't be an advantage for that.

So what about a peacock's tail? Not all evolutionary developments require a clear reproductive advantage.

Besides, a guy with three functional arms would have women lining up outside his home... imagine being able to grope, poke or press three places at once!

=Smidge=