A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

100% Custom Sonic-Next sprites

Spike

Guest Shadix

Needs 1 million polys.

Somethings looks odd with the head and the angle of the spikes on the standing frame. The spikes look like they are protruding as though the sprite were in profile while the head is almost completely 3:4.

They are much better than what I could do spriting though.

Needs 1 million polys.

Somethings looks odd with the head and the angle of the spikes on the standing frame. The spikes look like they are protruding as though the sprite were in profile while the head is almost completely 3:4.

They are much better than what I could do spriting though.

I don't quite understand what you are saying about the spikes. Are you saying that they are out of proportion with the body? If so, i was thinking that myself. These are really early models though, I'm still tweaking them.

Guest Shadix

I guess thats what I'm saying.

Edit: nvrmnd... It's clear that the face is at a different angle than the rest of the head, I wish I could do a diagram of this to show you what I'm talking about. It's a depth thing, you gotta think about the object in 3D even though you are drawing it in 2D. The rest of the head looks flat while the face is at an angle that protrudes outwards. I think the easiest way to fix this is to bring the lower quills in to make them look more behind the head and raise the upper quill a bit.

I know it's a wip :P, if it wasn't I wouldn't be pointing out what I think needs fixing.

At least, as an artist I like knowing whats wrong before I finish.

I also prefer the new shorter spines. Hope you finish this. It'd be nice to have another sprite around here, especially one with enough animations to use in a few gimmicks.

Don't worry, it will have all of the essential moves and poses. Pretty much everything in 2k6.

• 4 weeks later...

Not bad. My only two gripes:

the spikes aren't spike-y enough, Spike (lulz). I mean, I know Sonic's spikes are becoming more and more hair-like each game, but I'd fix it so that his head doesn't look like a blob thing.

The arms look kinda silly. They're really long and wirey, even for Sonic. I'd chop 'em a couple 'o pixels, and make the elbows more prominent, so it doesn't look like noodles.

Aside from those two things, I like it. The shading is nice, and I'd like to see how it progresses (maybe more frames?) I think once you add the running animation, adding a subtle blur effect would make it look really awesome.

As stated above, the arms are too long even for Sonic, however, one of the major flaws is with his anatomy. Anybody standing like that and they'd fall down quickly, next time, build a wireframe skeleton of the character (In a pose, try being in the pose yourself before spriting it). The running is also very exaggerated, nobody in their right mind would run like that unless it's for comedical purposes in an anime. Also, why the green shade for Super Sonic? Why?

His head seems to turn slightly to face us, and a bit sideways, but his body is somewhat similar but still different. You'll need to revise this a lot, I'm sorry. Also, the majority of the poses wouldn't work right if you dared try it yourself, the way it looks, it seems a bit impossible.

EDIT: Also, his fists are HUGE! 0.o;

I looked off of the Sonic Advance walking sprites to make that... So there you go. Sonic Advance is comical. It really does look good in motion, though. When making it, I kept thinking "My god, this is going to turn out like shit.".

Fists huge? Play Sonic Next. Hell, I think I made them smaller.