A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PS3 price drop temporary (lolsony)

Serephim

On two issues actually. There's a shitload of Singstar games FYI.

As for the "pricedrop"...

"The 60GB PS3 will be available in North America for $499 until supplies of that unit are depleted. We have ample inventory to meet the immediate needs of consumers in this territory for several months to come. We won't be making any further announcements regarding our PS3 model hardware strategy in North America until the 60GB model is exhausted and market conditions are evaluated."

I'm betting once the 60Gb stock is cleared (and this'll take months) the 80Gb gets unbundled and becomes the only SKU at $499 or less. Doesn't change the fact that A: they still had the only interesting keynote and B: Chewbacca makes more sense than their PR staff.

Never seen that Wiki list before, seems there's quite a few games missing including the most recent new IPs. Not to mention the licenses Sony owns but get developed (and thus associated) to other devs, with Ratchet being one of them IIRC.

well...those are mostly divisions that were either bought and turned into a sony development division, or bought and assimilated into an existing one.

Same with Ninty and Retro Studios, the only difference being that Retro has been making games for an already existing franchise. But it's the same idea.

If anything, I thought the 360 was the successor to the Dreamcast. Clearly I was way the fuck wrong, because it's got killer indie support thanks to that program Microsoft and Garage Games released, and Live is just much better than it was when it first came out.

I mean, at least Sony outputs good games.

That made me lol...Sony making good games? I can't find 3 titles that even pique my interest to buy a PS3...same with the PSP. I thought maybe I'd get a PSP with the price drop since I also had a $50 EB Games gift card...nope...only could find one game I'd even consider buying, which was Final Fantasy. Seriously, the reason why the PS3 and the PSP aren't selling well is because they don't make good games and they don't have other people making good games for the systems. Granted, I think this will change over time, but a lot of the new "hits" coming to the PS3 are also on the 360, which I already have...so, moot point.

Sony making good games? [...] they don't make good games

whatspcbll.gif

From a quality standpoint Sony's first/second party offerings are, for lack of a better word, untrollable. Up there with the best and in certain areas some would argue they're second to none.

Whether you like the games or not... that's an entirely different matter.

Eh... I wouldn't always say thats true from a quality standpoint. Take Dark Cloud (the first one) for instance... from a quality standpoint, the game cut more corners than a lawn mower. That game held itself together through a variety of gimmicks more than anything else. It was still fun though.

I recall the first Dark Cloud getting nice reviews for its time, and they've been steadily improving since - Chronicle was great and White Knight Story's going to rock. Besides, I'm talking about the current status of their teams.

Can you tell I'm playing God of War 2 these days? Holy shit it's ****ing mindblowing.

Guest Shadix

Are we talking about quality or popularity?

Because I think somewhere along the line this arguement got skewed.

SEGA made great games as well.

I recall the first Dark Cloud getting nice reviews for its time, and they've been steadily improving since - Chronicle was great and White Knight Story's going to rock. Besides, I'm talking about the current status of their teams.

Can you tell I'm playing God of War 2 these days? Holy shit it's ****ing mindblowing.

Well, strictly speaking, Dark Cloud was a poor game when it comes to the effort side of things. The reason it gets high reviews is because its enjoyable in spite of playing like some poorly slapped together lackluster randomly generated dungeon crawler.

It was all in how they made collection and weapon building interesting more than anything else.

And yeah, I could tell you were talking God of War since in general, Sony's first party offerings cover all kinds of ranges in quality.