A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

So, how 'bout them Pocket Monsters

Spike

In all games I've played, tanks are characters/monsters that can soak hits and deal ok damage.
Besides Toxic and Pursuit, it has practically nothing to defend itself

And there you go. =P

A tank can both take hits decently, and return damage decently. It isn't good at either or, simply the middleman. Having a tank with good resistances is becoming really important this generation, since there are a lot of things that can seriously damage your pokemon WITHOUT setup, and not enough pokemon that can counter them and remain powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry to bump this but I'm trying to get back into Pokemon. So I've started playing Fire Red again. I'm considering capturing Cubone and then purchasing Pearl, and using him as a sort of "starter Pokemon." I'm assuming I'll be able to trade Pokemon between games whenI get to the third town, so I'm guessing this won't be any different.

What are the like.. main differences between Pearl/Diamond and Fire Red/Leaf Green, Gold/Silver? I've noticed Fire Red lacks any sort of "night/day" setting just wondering what kind of stuff has been updated and that sort of thing. And what you all consider to be the pros and cons of the new games. Also, is it possible to somehow trade over Pokemon earlier in the game?

Hey, sorry to bump this but I'm trying to get back into Pokemon. So I've started playing Fire Red again. I'm considering capturing Cubone and then purchasing Pearl, and using him as a sort of "starter Pokemon." I'm assuming I'll be able to trade Pokemon between games whenI get to the third town, so I'm guessing this won't be any different.

What are the like.. main differences between Pearl/Diamond and Fire Red/Leaf Green, Gold/Silver? I've noticed Fire Red lacks any sort of "night/day" setting just wondering what kind of stuff has been updated and that sort of thing. And what you all consider to be the pros and cons of the new games. Also, is it possible to somehow trade over Pokemon earlier in the game?

You can't pull pokemon from the older games till after you beat the elite 4 unfortunately. Find a friend with d/p that has beaten it already and have him import the cubone and THEN you can trade it over just fine.

• Day and Night is back in this game.
  • all pokemon have an animation they play when they first enter battle now (woohoo..).
  • Touch screen commands for battles is the way to go, tapping the screen with my thumbs has always felt like the right way to command the little monsters.
  • There is plenty of after game content
  • As you probably know, you CAN play online against others and trade as well (the voice chat is pretty awesome)

That's all I can think of right now...someone correct me if I'm missing some

"You can't pull pokemon from the older games till after you beat the elite 4 unfortunately."

This saddens me. Although, by the time I get Pearl, chances are everyone I know will probably have beaten the game anyway. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just <3 Cubone.

I remember someone saying something about the battles being more advanced? Like.. there were more types of attacks or something to look out for as opposed to just the traditional ground/grass/etc. What's up with that?

"You can't pull pokemon from the older games till after you beat the elite 4 unfortunately."

This saddens me. Although, by the time I get Pearl, chances are everyone I know will probably have beaten the game anyway. So it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I just <3 Cubone.

I remember someone saying something about the battles being more advanced? Like.. there were more types of attacks or something to look out for as opposed to just the traditional ground/grass/etc. What's up with that?

No they split up attack types into physical and special attacks now, which is a blessing to some and a horror for others, pretty much moves are classified as either a regular attack or a special attack and those correlate to the stats themselves. So if your guy is high in special attack you want to give him all moves that are special not phsyical. Hope I explained that well enough...

physical attacks are attacks that are physical. Like, Hyper Beam is a special, because it's a beam. But Giga Impact is a physical, because contact is made. Thus, if you have a pokemon with a crap special attack stat, you might wanna go with Giga Impact instead of Hyper Beam.

Originally, whether an attack was Physical or Special was tied directly to the type/attribute of the attack. Normal, Ground, Rock, Bug, Flying, Ghost, Fighting, Poison, and Steel were Physical, and the others were Special (Fire, Water, Ice, Grass, Electric, Psychic, Dark, Dragon). Now, these factors have been disassociated, and any other move that doesn't do direct damage is considered "Other". Examples of significant changes include Special "Sludge Bomb", Physical "Waterfall", Physical "Spark", and Special "Hyper Beam." (its Physical counterpart is "Giga Impact")

Also, whether a move makes contact or not is an entirely different classification of its own not directly tied to whether the move is Physical or not (though they usually are Physical if they make "contact"). "Contact" moves will trigger certain effects from either attacks or Pokemon Abillities, such as Aftermath and Effect Spore.

Oh, and before I forget, in FR/LG you need to retrieve the Ruby/Sapphire jewels from the Sevii Islands to trade with the Hoen Region, and you need to see all 150 pokemon in the Sinnou Dex to "migrate" from R/S/E/FR/LG to D/P.

It's really great to have special Fighting moves. Lucario is one of the few fighting types that pretty much demands an all special set (though I have a second one that's all physical, and is equally powerful, perhaps even moreso)

FireRed/LeafGreen have a really cool aftergame that reminds me of the Orange Island arc in the anime. Basically you're going around, and once you reach the...4th island I think...you start to catch the newer Pokemon.

Seeing all the Pokemon is pretty easy. Just fight every trainer (which you should anyways if you want to stand a fighting chance at the end of the adventure) and you'll see the last one in the last fight (unless, of course, you trade a lot.)

Also, I thought you could catch Cubone in D/P...

EDIT: yea, you can. It's a swarm Pokemon, though. Which reminds me, I need to see what's swarming today.

Also, if you wasted 50 bucks this week on Battle Revolution, kill yourself. I'm going to rent it (I need to open a Hollywood video account first, which I've been meaning to do since I turned 18 last year >_>) and reap the rewards in one week: Surf Pikachu, Magmortar and Electivire, and whatever TMs I can get. I hear WiFi is filled with all uber dorks who can be beaten by Luvdiscs, which is just plain ol' LOL

Also, I've got a sinister team lined up (I almost feel bad for using it; One of the nonuber Pokemon my team is built around can sweep an entire team if I'm really really really lucky.) I played WiFi in PBR at a friend's house and used an even MORE sinister team (Mean Looked some random dude's Pokemon, Baton Passed to Shedinja after I saw all thier move types, and took down 3 Pokemon with him).

Pokemon can be so fucking devious.

Also, I've got a sinister team lined up (I almost feel bad for using it; One of the nonuber Pokemon my team is built around can sweep an entire team if I'm really really really lucky.)

Togekiss. Dunsparce.

I played WiFi in PBR at a friend's house and used an even MORE sinister team (Mean Looked some random dude's Pokemon, Baton Passed to Shedinja after I saw all thier move types, and took down 3 Pokemon with him).

Trap-passing? Smeargle or Umbreon?

Togekiss. Dunsparce.

Trap-passing? Smeargle or Umbreon?

Nope, the Pokemon that sets up is actually rarely used at all (I'll give a hint, since I like being secretive: he's one of the orginal 150. Hell, even Ash used him maybe 5 times before he released it) and the one that sweeps...well...he's equipped with just the right moves and just the right berry to max out his two most vital stats to astronomical levels.

Though I DO have a Nasty Pass Togetic. He's good too.

Umbreon was what I used, though I hear Absol is the only other Pokemon that can learn both Mean Look and Baton Pass (I didn't bother to compare the movecharts of every evolution and preevolution. I could be dead wrong.) I actually never use the Eevees, since they have horrendous attack moves, but in Umbreon's case, it was a fantastic setup for Shedinja sweep.