A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

First contact : Beta engine released

Damizean

Information:

Here's the first beta release of the Sonic the Hedgehog Worlds base engine. Due the WIP nature of this release, the engine isn't totally polished, and there is still things that need to be implemented. However, it's a solid base for users to build their own engine, or to start making levels for the project :)

Engine limitations are very similar to the ancient engine made for Multimedia Fusion 1 since uses the same philosophy for angle detection as the old one, but thanks to the experience I've adquired since then this version is built to be smoother and more precisse, and focused to imitate the physics of the Genesis games.

I haven't listed all the features of the engine, but will do once I get the documentation done. Except another release in a month or so ;) Feel free to use anything in this release (except the titlecard font and level music :e), as long as you give credit to Damizean :)

Download:

[01:40:00 PM] BreakfastPirateX: enemies dont work I see?

[01:40:04 PM] Damizean: nope

[01:40:10 PM] Damizean: not implemented

[01:40:13 PM] Damizean: WAIT TO NEXT RELEASE!

[01:40:14 PM] BreakfastPirateX: super sonic has no spring animation, just to let you know

[01:40:22 PM] Damizean: I know all that =D

[01:40:24 PM] BreakfastPirateX: hahahaha oh my gosh.

[01:40:34 PM] BreakfastPirateX: sin and cos'd platforms, on both axis'?

[01:40:38 PM] BreakfastPirateX: you crazy magnificent man you

[01:41:03 PM] BreakfastPirateX: I have go to say

[01:41:19 PM] BreakfastPirateX: this is amazingly impressive, if it werent for my bad FPS, I would be having a very fun ball with this

<3 you for this.

Holy crap that was EPIC WIN. Keep up the excellent work!

Are we allowed to use this as a base for our own fangame or does it have to be used for SW levels? Because my own fangame's engine was so horribly structured and buggy that I want to replace it with this when it's eventually finished. =P

Oooh... Plays nicely...

Pity, my newfound MTG obsession prevented me from buying MMF2... But seeing that I'm not going to buy more till the next set in May... and that I finally just tried the MMF2 demo a few days ago and am loving it...

Either way, the first thing I'd do with this is make an external level editor...

Technically, my MMF 1 Level editor is done, but the way MMF1.5 used resources was a pain and crash city (everything, including level editor extensions are external)...

Damn it, why did it have to be MMF?

If I made a GM version of this, would you hold competitions for it? It would only take me a day or so...

Well, that gets outside of the Sonic Worlds project scope, as it's supossed to be a Vitalize! project, but... why not? :) The Xmas pack is more advanced than this engine, and could be modified in no time to adjust to the same physics (wich are now somewhat closer to the real thing) and some new stuff I made for this engine.

And what about us TGF users?

TGF is a way too ancient and buggy program, the full engine couldn't be created on it. The maxium I could make was the simple 360º with jumping (and it took me a while, collisions in TGF are so terribly), no loops as collisions with groups weren't performed by pixel.

I have a question regarding the level creation and whatnot.

I understand you give us a template, but are we only allowed to use that template for level designs? or are we allowed to change the whole tileset together? Silly question, but you never know.

( Oh and <3 your sense of spriting )

I have a question regarding the level creation and whatnot.

I understand you give us a template, but are we only allowed to use that template for level designs? or are we allowed to change the whole tileset together? Silly question, but you never know.

( Oh and <3 your sense of spriting )

The level wich comes with the engine is just a random level for testing the engine. You can design everything from your level, and you are free to change everything you want. That includes movement values (wich they are at Player Management -> Character Attributes), graphics and level tileset.

Hey midi, you gave me an idea... For those like VGPU and me who currently don't have MMF2...

Sure, an external level editor can be created... The easiest way to make one of these editors supports external libraries... However... The only sane way of doing so in MMF involves loading duplicates of the same object and memory usage can climb very, quickly, not to mention since Active Pictures can't be deactivated when off of screen (which would save some memory and help performance greatly when you have tons of objects...)

But if say, they're just separate actives, while a bit more of a pain to set up (single active replaces externally loaded images) it's faster... So the game could come with a variety of tilesets, for that form of level editing...

Quick question to Dami... Does Vitalize work fine with external files?

Hmm... I assume the external library system won't work very well with Vitalize... So I guess plopping in a few library sets, and allowing for external level files could work out decently, for those who just want to edit levels...

I'm not sure if Active Pictures can have pixel perfect collisions, but if they do, you can just destroy and create them dynamically when they are near the screen. It's not that hard.

Also, you can bake them at the background layer, with collisions.

I've once tryied to do that, and it worked. However, the transparent pixels blocked the parallax background, for some reason. But maybe it has been already fixed.

I'm not sure if Active Pictures can have pixel perfect collisions, but if they do, you can just destroy and create them dynamically when they are near the screen. It's not that hard.

Also, you can bake them at the background layer, with collisions.

I've once tryied to do that, and it worked. However, the transparent pixels blocked the parallax background, for some reason. But maybe it has been already fixed.

Yeah, the baking was the plan for the in game world at least, and for say, springs and such, they'd be coded in...

For the editor, I was thinking that it would be a bit trickier to do something like that, as the editor has support for editing variables within each object, so that say, you want to have something like the coin block from Mario, the editor knows to load an external properties dialog based on a file supplied in the library package, so you can set the amount of coins it contains within the editor...

and I'd rather not mess with a lot of disk access... But you know what, I might as well try...

Just tested, and neither MMF version support pixel collision with active picture objects...

But seeing as this is being geared towards a vitalize app, for being able to plug and chug levels with predefined level sets would be preferred, And again, since Dami wants this to be able to be played anywhere in a web browser, without having to download stuff, I don't think there's any safe or convenient way of having libraries stored on a server for a game. We can instead probably safely allow levels to be uploaded in plain text, or something, but we'll see...

Depends again, on what the plans for this is... I'd love it though to work in MMF2 though instead of doing this all in MMF1.5... I hope to order by the end of next week...