A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The next-gen difference... is not that much.

Blues

Is in shaders and lighting.

View the following images, they are of Oblivion and Morrowind in that order.

oblvlightinghg4.jpgmorrlightingrr0.jpg

You can tell which one has "superior" graphics. But lets take these two scenes and disable the lighting effects by turning on full lights.

oblvnolightingfn2.jpgmorrnolightingqn1.jpg

Judging from those images alone they could very well be from the same game! It seems that the biggest difference between the generations of games is lighting and shaders, huh.

I just thought it was interesting. It suprised me the first time I realized it at least.

Uh.. duh? What the fuck? Is this news to someone? Of course the "next-gen difference" is all in the shaders and effects.

Why do you think the only major upgrade in each new graphics card is a new shader version?

DX10 is just a bunch of new rendering techniques. The models will always be as low poly and plain as possible.

I'm looking at DeadOrAlive 2 Limited Edition for Dreamcast and not seeing much difference in DeadOrAlive 4 for 360. Resident Evil 4 looks better than a lot of Next-Gen games too. Although I must give credit to GearsOfWar for being the best looking game I'v ever seen.

Sony likes to talk about net-gen AI. There's only so much AI necessary in most video games (the exception being stratagy games). I was playing Resident Evil 4 yesterday, and it scared the hell out of me when the hooded guys hid behind the building and waited for me to walk out. I mean, how much better AI is really needed for those type of games? Can you imaging Marvel Ultimate Alliance with ultra advanced AI. I don't think it would make the game any better.

Resident Evil 4 roxz

well, morrowwind was the peak of the last gen, and oblivion was one of the first releases of the new gen, so surely the gap is going to be less great than then say ut 2003/4 > gears of war (or unreal 2 isn't it, anyway, GoW uses the unreal engine) or the eye tearing beutification that is GRAW2. sweet shits that game is purty

Is in shaders and lighting.

View the following images, they are of Oblivion and Morrowind in that order.

[qimg]http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8634/oblvlightinghg4.jpg[/qimg][qimg]http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/7571/morrlightingrr0.jpg[/qimg]

You can tell which one has "superior" graphics. But lets take these two scenes and disable the lighting effects by turning on full lights.

[qimg]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3591/oblvnolightingfn2.jpg[/qimg][qimg]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2645/morrnolightingqn1.jpg[/qimg]

Judging from those images alone they could very well be from the same game! It seems that the biggest difference between the generations of games is lighting and shaders, huh.

I just thought it was interesting. It suprised me the first time I realized it at least.

Technically, no, its not a big deal.

Visually obviously is a different story.

IF you take Halo 2 and strip away its Bump Mapping, its a pretty medicore looking game.

And if you look close enough, Super Mario Galaxy wouldnt look HALF as good without its lighting effects.

Yea, its pretty simple to say that "lighting is the nextgen difference", but light is what makes 3D games 3D in the first place... So i think it would be a huge difference.

Better shaders, lighting, physics, animation and less limits for the scope of a game.

When all of it comes together, it's mindblowing. Screenshots often don't do justice to next gen games. You've got to see them in motion.

QFT.

Just saying lighting isnt that important in a 3D game is like saying your heart isnt important for your survival.

Thats why im still pissed at the pretty low upgrade Nintendo gave the Wii from the Gamecube. The orginal Xbox i believe is still capable of producing better looking / on par games with wii, because it was capable of a much higher Resolution output. (Which is completely bullshit, Nintendo. That makes no sense.) Or at least i believe so. The only game that has good looking resolutions on Wii (so far) would be Smash Brothers Brawl or Galaxy.

I believe its the Wii's fault mostly because Metroid Prime 3 (minus the lighting and partical effects) in its last screens of production looked IDENTICAL to Metroid Prime 2. Retro Studios is responsible for Metroid Prime, and every game they have been responsible for (Both Metroid Primes and that canceled game) have pushed the gamecube. Either Retro ignored updating the graphics, or they diddnt because there wasnt much they could upgrade. I can see not really bumpping up the textures or anything, but keeping Gamecube level polygon counts is kind of...lame.

But about the Motion part, yes, pictures dont do justice.

Unless we're talking about Sonic Next.

And it is for this very reason that the Wii has such a dramatic advantage in the market with it's new gaming concepts. Graphics don't impress me at all, I can have more fun with Gradius for example than a lot of newer games.

Another example? God of War II is far, far superior than any game on the PS3, by leaps and bounds, yet it's on the PS2.

That's not fair PC0. It has mainly maiming and manly booby oggling.

but to those ends, i'd like to point out how football (both english and american) games tend to only push the hardware at the beginning of a generation. What's up with that EA.

Look, I think the GameCube's and Wii's graphics are just fine the way they are. It's not like we're still stuck in the 8bit generation. If I expect impressive visual effects and detail, it's in a movie because it is what I'm paying for. I'm not one of those, whom I consider to be fools, who buy the same damn game every year with minor upgrades in graphics and updated rosters. Madden comes to mind. Madden earned some respect from me with their Wii release however. I still need to give that a shot.

I'm not buying games for their visuals, I understand some expect better than average visuals and not eyesores but how much better can visuals really get in our lifetime? To sacrifice price for realism and detail is foolish. You don't need realism and detail to play a video game.

Last Generation wasnt really ugly at all, but now that we're able to see better looking things on other systems, its just sad how it APPEARS that the Wii is stuck in the last gen with better lighting effects.

I mean, so far, every Xbox port the Wii has gotten has looked WORSE than the Xbox version...