A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

360 degrees, essential?

Syonic

This loop bull____ is relevant to the topic. In fact, it's the very fabric of the question itself. If you would not like loops to be discussed, why allow this topic to remain open in the first place? What is the point of a 360 degree engine when you remove the loops, Slingerland? And you're condemning its mention in the very topic that is requesting opinions on the matter? With all due respect, I decline to end this discussion about loops in Sonic games as it is important in answering Syonic's question.

I wasn't trying to stop an argument, I'm, oh how would you say...um...sick of hearing about it? It's what we have the debate thread for? Don't tell me how to do my job or tell me what to say, SP.

There is a point to the 360 engine besides loops. You can make an entire level without loops (a la Spring Yard or Collision Chaos) and still use the 360 engine to create awesomeness.

There's my retort, and since you're "done," then this is over.

---

@Syonic: To branch off Damizean's previous comment, I don't completely understand the 360 engine myself. The "actions," "values," and "camera" groups that are in there make it easy enough to use once you know what each alterable value in each of them do. You can make plenty of gimmicks solely using those values sometimes (like grinding was pretty much setting a "grinding" alt value in "actions" on and off when the bottom sensor was colliding with it).

I agree with starting with static however and if you feel you have a firm grip on that, jump into "3rd gear," as Kain put it, and use 360.

And this is why there are so many "missing" fangames now a days

I sware to god Jamie Bailey is probably pissed at all of you for abandoning his staticness.

Meh, I like 360 because of the level design you can create. Static is good aswell.

Research is why I've decided. Pure and simple research. It also goes along the rather simple reasoning that I know the Genesis Sonic games are Sonic games and I know that the 3D Sonic games aren't much like the Genesis Sonic games. Call it backwards reasoning if you want... but there isn't much doubt in my mind that Sonic Riders and Sonic Spinball aren't Sonic games.

But really, 360 engines don't require squat for mathematics. It just requires looking at the engine's documentation to figure it out. Hardly something challenging. I guess you might say its a little harder to make gimmicks for it at first than with a regular engine, but that also changes over time.

And more to the point, I don't think I've ever seen a Sonic fangame with decent gimmick variety that doesn't use 360, and if you don't have gimmicks, you know you don't have a Sonic game.

Agreed. And this is clearly the reason why I decided to stop making a Sonic game in the traditional sense and make a fun, fast paced game instead...

It's much more fun to do... And I lose interest in anything unimportant easily anyway...

hi guys , just wondering as recently im kinda still new to MMF2

I've just figured out slopes now, but the lazy way..just to give me an idea of how it functions.

though my question is, Is a 360 degrees engine Essential to make a good sonic game?

cheers :)

Really, Fangames were all fun even before Static was invented.

Sega doesnt seem to be doing too much better anyway. (Just the fact that our games are fanmade make them more fun than the advance series.)