A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Its the iPhone

Blues

The battery that gives you six hours of life compared to Dell's two and a half?

Paying twice as much for a battery that lasts more than twice as long? Oh no!

Although, now that I'm looking to back out my claim, Dell's battery is MORE expensive than its Apple counterpart.

You stated, and I paraphrase, that they will fix your broken things for free. If an irreplacable functioning part of that thing is a power source that is meant to be rechargable, and they are charging you for the repairs on it, then you aren't getting that service for free.

And just because its a dead battery doesn't mean that the product isn't broken. That is no where qualified for in the definition of broken.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notice: This is me simply venting myself. You can safely skip this post section of the post and not miss any important information. Skip to second bold notice for actual content. You have been warned.

GD, how can you make such a blanket statement like that? Apple makes products that work and are of good quality.

I wasn't referring to everyone. You, for instance, do not fall into that category. To be honest, maybe it's not even Apple I have a problem with, it's more the consumers. Hell, I don't even know why I have this vendetta against the iPod to be honest. For whatever reason just seeing one makes my blood boil.

My sister used to have an iPod Mini...until the battery crapped out. It was only a year old and Apple was asking for some amount of money to have it replaced because according to their testing, it wasn't dead enough to warrant a free replacement. Considering that the battery is technically not replaceable by the consumer...that was the end of that. She has a Creative Zen Vision: M and is very happy with it at the moment. We'll see if it holds up. I do know that my Creative Zen Xtra has lasted me nearly 3 years and I just had to replace the battery because it was starting to hold less of a charge. Mind you the battery is replaceable in my player and I was able to snag three new ones off eBay for $15. Sure beats the hell out of the iPod Mini/5G as far as value goes in my opinion. So long as I don't break my player and it doesn't succumb to time, I can easily keep it around for years to come. It holds 30GB, which is plenty and the interface is a simple, non-colored display. It does what it's meant to do.

Oh come now, don't be so close-minded. People do that type of thing with millions of other things? Don't believe me go grab a pack of Band Ai-

I believe you. I know that it happens all the time. Again, it's just something with my hate for the iPod or whatever the hell is my problem. Because I don't like them I don't like other things in the same product category to be called the same thing. It's a pet peeve at best. I'm geeky when it comes to hardware...I'm easily irked when people call things what they are not. To top it off, like I said earlier, I work in retail with this stuff so I hear it all the time. Ie: I had a customer call a 'Linksys' router a 'Linkski' router and it sent me into orbit. Same thing with 'Sandisk' being called 'Scandisk' or 'USB' being called 'UBS'. For whatever reason it drives me up a wall.

Okay...I'm done now...

Notice: This portion of the post was written while sane =P

I'll be honest, I do like the look that the iPhone has...large touch screen is nice (although I'd like to see how the battery holds up with a screen that large) and just the pure fact that Apple does make nice looking products definitely helps. One thing I did read somewhere (I do believe it was at Engadget) was that this was not a Smartphone...and thus applications couldn't be installed on it out of the box (obviously someone will hack it eventually, but I'm basing everything one intended usage). Personally, I feel that if I'm going to pay $599+ for a phone, it better not only play music, allow for talking (obviously), but it should definitely allow installation of productivity programs, games, etc.

Notice: This is me simply venting myself. You can safely skip this post section of the post and not miss any important information. Skip to second bold notice for actual content. You have been warned.

I wasn't referring to everyone. You, for instance, do not fall into that category. To be honest, maybe it's not even Apple I have a problem with, it's more the consumers. Hell, I don't even know why I have this vendetta against the iPod to be honest. For whatever reason just seeing one makes my blood boil.

My sister used to have an iPod Mini...until the battery crapped out. It was only a year old and Apple was asking for some amount of money to have it replaced because according to their testing, it wasn't dead enough to warrant a free replacement. Considering that the battery is technically not replaceable by the consumer...that was the end of that. She has a Creative Zen Vision: M and is very happy with it at the moment. We'll see if it holds up. I do know that my Creative Zen Xtra has lasted me nearly 3 years and I just had to replace the battery because it was starting to hold less of a charge. Mind you the battery is replaceable in my player and I was able to snag three new ones off eBay for $15. Sure beats the hell out of the iPod Mini/5G as far as value goes in my opinion. So long as I don't break my player and it doesn't succumb to time, I can easily keep it around for years to come. It holds 30GB, which is plenty and the interface is a simple, non-colored display. It does what it's meant to do.

I believe you. I know that it happens all the time. Again, it's just something with my hate for the iPod or whatever the hell is my problem. Because I don't like them I don't like other things in the same product category to be called the same thing. It's a pet peeve at best. I'm geeky when it comes to hardware...I'm easily irked when people call things what they are not. To top it off, like I said earlier, I work in retail with this stuff so I hear it all the time. Ie: I had a customer call a 'Linksys' router a 'Linkski' router and it sent me into orbit. Same thing with 'Sandisk' being called 'Scandisk' or 'USB' being called 'UBS'. For whatever reason it drives me up a wall.

Okay...I'm done now...

Notice: This portion of the post was written while sane =P

I'll be honest, I do like the look that the iPhone has...large touch screen is nice (although I'd like to see how the battery holds up with a screen that large) and just the pure fact that Apple does make nice looking products definitely helps. One thing I did read somewhere (I do believe it was at Engadget) was that this was not a Smartphone...and thus applications couldn't be installed on it out of the box (obviously someone will hack it eventually, but I'm basing everything one intended usage). Personally, I feel that if I'm going to pay $599+ for a phone, it better not only play music, allow for talking (obviously), but it should definitely allow installation of productivity programs, games, etc.

It's running its own version of Mac OSX on it! And the tech specs say battery life should be 5 hours of constant talk time. My phone currently supports like 10 hours of constant talk time, which at the most on a charge I use like 1 hour, so it's no biggie.

Anyways, the ability to pull up google maps and have instant locations and phone numbers of places of interest is pretty damn nifty.

You stated, and I paraphrase, that they will fix your broken things for free. If an irreplacable functioning part of that thing is a power source that is meant to be rechargable, and they are charging you for the repairs on it, then you aren't getting that service for free.

And just because its a dead battery doesn't mean that the product isn't broken. That is no where qualified for in the definition of broken.

Well, if you re-read what I said: "When they break, the company will examine them for free, and their staff is always friendly."

I've had them check things and not paid a cent. Like when my iPod died...I replaced that hard drive by myself, and doubled the capacity while I was at it.

This could very well be the case for any thing inside the product. A faulty hard drive? A broken disc drive?

And about the battery: I'm pretty sure after you talked to Dell, which could cost you money, or a tech person, which WILL cost you money unless you know them as a friend, they'd recommend a new battery anyway.

ya dude. I knew you weren't talking about me. I was referring to the "I hate everything Apple" remark.