A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the RPG - System Demo Available

Majin Sam

SonictheRPGLogo.png

Hello, I'm new to your community, and I'm currently planning a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG. I have some basic plot points, ideas and characters down on paper, but first I wanted to get a working gameplay system going that made the game feel like Sonic.

We all know that Sonic doesn't work with turn based battles, which is why I'm trying to combine Zelda style battling with classic Sonic style platforming.

Overview

Basically, I quickly threw together a Sonic the Hedgehog system for RPG Maker 2003. _It's not running perfectly yet, but it's looking good for about a half hour's work.

X did make some changes to it, however, these changes caused quite severe lag and _made it harder to kill the enemies, so those changes were discarded.

I originally wanted to include the 'ring drop', where Sonic drops his rings if he got hit. _However, after numerous complications and headaches, this was dropped and now enemies simply take a certain amount of rings from you when they hit you.

Features

- Ring Collection with Counter

- Spin Dash

- Jump

Screenshots

SonicScreen01.png

Yay! _It's Sonic! _Go get those rings!

SonicScreen02.png

You can spindash anywhere

SonicScreen03.png

Huzzah for custom made Badniks!

SonicScreen04.png

Joust!

SonicScreen05.png

And the victor ... Sonic!

Video

Demo

Download Here

Controls

Arrow Keys - Move

Z Key - Jump

X Key - Spin Dash

Known Issues

Things are looking and feeling nicer now, rings sparkle when you collect them, as they used to, when you destroy an enemy you see the classic explosion with the sound effect we all recognise.

However, there are still problems with enemy collisions. As we already know, you can't hit a stationary enemy and attacking only seems to work if they're moving toward you, and jumping can't be used to attack at all as it always results in you getting hurt. Obviously, this is a problem. I tried putting Sonic on Phasing Mode when he dashes, but then he simply passes right through his enemies.

I suppose I could use X and Y co-ordinate tracking, but that's a last resort as I don't want the game to have to check too many variables at once. If I can't find an alternative solution though, I'll try it.

Also, as for acceleration, which was mentioned, I'm not overly sure as to how to go about coding that. There is a function to check how long it takes to press a button, but not one to check how long you hold the same button down for.

I'm guessing that I could use Memorise Position and make that position a variable as soon as a movement key is pressed, then check that position against where you are now and if it's a certain distance, speed Sonic up. But the problem with that theory is turning, as soon as you'd turn, it'd memorise a new position because you'd be pressing a new direction key. Also, there's the issue of making sure he slows down again.

What I'm also trying to implement is the charge dash, I'm trying to make it so you can hold Shift and tap X to spin on the spot before releasing, like in Sonic 2 onwards.

If anyone wants to help out, then please contact me. Credits will be given for all contributions that get used.

That's a good point actually, if you don't have RPG Maker 2003 installed on your PC then this won't run.

Unfortunately I can't link you to an RPG Maker 2003 download because it's technically Warez, however, five second's patience and Google should get you it.

But the problem with that theory is turning, as soon as you'd turn, it'd memorise a new position because you'd be pressing a new direction key. Also, there's the issue of making sure he slows down again.

In theory, when it registers the new position after going a certain distance couldn't you pull something off like skidding in the old platform games?

Yeah, just add "FullPackageFlag=1" to RPG_RT.INI and it'll run. You might want to include that in future releases, Sam.

I'll look over it when I have some free time.

Edit : Now it's telling me that it can't open a "system4" file. I can't find anything about that...

@SonicProject: I think that's a feature that'd only get annoying.

@USC: System 4? That'd be a textbox file. There's no reason it'd be missing, it's a part of the RTP.

@DimensionWarped: If all you're going to do is bitch, then don't bother posting in this topic. Yes, RM2k3 can make EXEs, but you usually still need the RTP installed unless you add the notation USC mentioned to the INI file. Also, saying RPGs are silly is rather ignorant.

@Spike: Why is everyone here anti-RM2k3? Well, thanks for the luck

It's just that, with RPG maker it isn't really your own game. You've already got the engine and template laid out in front of you (You have made a new fighting engine though, which is cool). The filesizes are usually massive even if there is barley anything in the game... that and I just plain don't like it. Sorry.

You can always edit the engine like with MMF, TGF, and GM. There are engines on this site, people do the same exact thing to. RPGS normally take longer to develop, it makes sense to have a base engine to build off of as opposed to creating every little thing from scratch.

::Edited::

Ugh, RM2K3. I haven't made games with the 2000 incarnation for over 5 years...

@Majin: Yeah, I'd suggest you transfer over to MMF2 or GM (or C++! :D). The RM2K(3) building app is so inflexible. Plus it's illegal. I have a feeling you're going to be beating your head trying to get this thing to work. But, good luck to you anyway.

@Sam : Well, that's odd. Here's a picture of what happens when I run it...

[qimg]http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=131&stc=1&d=1167763336[/qimg]

...if that gives you any idea what's wrong. Is there an additional .dll or something that needs to be downloaded?

(Huh, looks like the picture shrank)

he forgot to put that file in. its from the RTP. whenever you release an rpg maker game, you should put it all RTP files used so that people with rpg maker can use it. and also change that flag.

Wait a sec- it's illegal? How so, exactly? Not sure I understand.

eh, it USED to be illegal, until enterbrain made it freeware.