A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

My humble webcomic

1LT Worm

I'll be honest and blunt. It needs work, alot of work in fact.

The artwork is pretty bad and seems like it was done in two seconds in Paint. Try at least hand drawing it and scanning it in, or get a tablet.

Second of all, as again, it feels like you're just using Paint, get yourself a copy of PhotoShop, a good font, I recommend Anime Ace which can be easily found on the internet and downloaded for free, then, using hand drawn lineart, use PhotoShop to add colour and special effects.

Another thing you'll want to work on is the actual humour itself. The jokes are dull, they've been used time and time again and they're just too predictable.

I'm not trying to brag or show off, but here's a sample of my old webcomic that's been on hold for several months. Maybe by looking at that you can learn something.

RSI - My Webcomic

May I also recommend watching the following video? It shows the artist of the popular webcomic CTRL+ALT+DEL making the Christmas issue of his comic. It's a really good oppurtunity to see how someone who's making money from webcomics goes about it.

CTRL+ALT+DEL's Christmas issue being made

I hope this all helps

Majin stands for demonfolk/ demonkind. The only 'baiting' thing about it is that most people just assume it's a Dragon Ball reference.

Also, I respect that you don't like my comic either, but there were people that did and a reason it's not been updated in months. Your wording however, was arrogant, abrasive and just plain rude.

Also, the subject at hand here is Mr Worm's comic, to which I already gave constructive critiscm and gave advice.

So, if you would kindly remove your head from your own ass, we can continue this topic.

I'll be honest and blunt. It needs work, alot of work in fact.

The artwork is pretty bad and seems like it was done in two seconds in Paint. Try at least hand drawing it and scanning it in, or get a tablet.

Second of all, as again, it feels like you're just using Paint, get yourself a copy of PhotoShop, a good font, I recommend Anime Ace which can be easily found on the internet and downloaded for free, then, using hand drawn lineart, use PhotoShop to add colour and special effects.

Thanks for the CC. But it is hand-drawn and scanned...I only know how to use simple techniques in paint programs. I have Seashore, which is based off the Gimp, which supports layers but doesn't have a slue of special effects. I don't normally do vector art stuff; it's not my style.

I'm also addressing my audience. I know a few of the people around here might read it, but I'm really seeking to impact my school's audience, just because I want it in the school paper. The first comic is mainly an in-joke about the stupid welcome back weeks we have every semester. The second is my commentary on how EVERY PROGRAM on campus entices students to the meetings with promises of free food. It's gotten to a point that if there's no free food, no one will show up. Not that extracurriculars are that popular.

@DW, try clicking the link to the webcomic. My host crashed, so I uploaded it to the Google image thing. Well, I also uploaded it to another host, but going to the blog will probably work best.

Majin stands for demonfolk/ demonkind. The only 'baiting' thing about it is that most people just assume it's a Dragon Ball reference.

Also, I respect that you don't like my comic either, but there were people that did and a reason it's not been updated in months. Your wording however, was arrogant, abrasive and just plain rude.

Also, the subject at hand here is Mr Worm's comic, to which I already gave constructive critiscm and gave advice.

So, if you would kindly remove your head from your own ass, we can continue this topic.

If you aren't a DBZ poser then you are just a more generic weeaboo poser (did somebody say weeaboo?). And Let me be rather blunt here myself. You annoy me.

Since this topic isnt on topic anyways: DID SOMEBODY SAY WEEABOO?

0PBF61009BC-Weeaboo.jpg

@Majin: dont act like your superior to everyone else and you automatically have some sort of power.

@DW: Dont fall for the bait.

Id love to see what the hell you have to say about me, and if it has anything to about my ass, or any other organ in my body, its obviously because you have a limited dictionary.

Also if you reply to that, youve taken bait.

Oh whoops, I totally forgot to review the comic.

The 1st comic strip isnt all that funny, its something thats happened before, but its just not all that funny.

The 2nd comic however is alot funnier, because of its dangerous tread on NAMBLA and the expectancy of the characters in the 3rd panel.

I say stick to the college/school humor, but once in a while go nuts and bring out some controversial topics.

Thanks Midi.

@Majin: The vid was nice, but it's not like I'm sitting on enough money to go out and buy a nice tablet like that. This is a hobby, and I don't plan on making any money on it or spending money on it. I have a notebook and pencils, and I go to the computer lab and use their scanner.

There's a new comic up. I've experimenting with new techniques, so tell me how you like it.

I thought the content was great. It reminded me of school and all those times my friends missed classes, because they were playing Madden all week. The art style is suiting, since it is only a hobby. Please, keep it up.

@Majin: I'll say this right now, I don't like your arrogance and pious attitude. Your comic was very lame.

Since you're only doing this as a hobby, I won't go into too much critism. But rather, some encouragement.

What I do have to say is that your comic will develop over time. Your art, as well as the humor. What will help you to develop it faster is to take time and study reputable comics known for their humor, such as VG cats, Penny Arcade, the funnies, etc. I don't mean copy their jokes, mind you, but eventually various methods for improving your humor should rub off on you.

As for the art, well practice makes perfect. Just keep on keepin' on, if you will. After all, the most important thing is that you enjoy it. :D Just note that your comic will be taken more seriously if it had a more presentable style.

In short: Persevere and your comic will eventually shine. You can only improve, so keep 'em coming. :)

• 1 month later...

Another thing you'll want to work on is the actual humour itself. The jokes are dull, they've been used time and time again and they're just too predictable.

This is coming from someone who made a webcomic about videogames.... k.

I thought the two comics above were chuckle-worthy. Don't worry about the crappiness of the lineart right now, eventually you'll get it. Just stick away from the sprites and you're fine.

• 2 weeks later...