A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

Serephim, you are exactly right. They are run by old people. (also nintendo itself is like way over 100 years old, lol)

They need new leadership. Iwata is too old. They need someone young, who knows what they're are doing.

Just look at that Phil Spencer guy. He's young, and he's doing a hell of a job doing whatever he can to make the Xbox One (which is a peice of garbage at this point IMO) better.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

I wound up getting the demo yesterday from an awesome soul over at Retro (that's what I was asking about on here.) It's a ton of fun! Even with only one stage and five characters, I've already put quite a bit of time into it. While it sucks they didn't release it for everybody, you can play local multiplayer on it, so I did a dozen matches or so with a friend. There was a couple instances where it chugged, even with us sitting right beside each other, but for the most part, it worked surprisingly well. I'm very impressed at how good the game looks, as well as how it plays. If you've been watching the streams, they really don't do the game justice.
For those that don't know, the demo will be out for everybody next week. If you're on the fence about it, I'd suggest picking it up and having a go. It's way better than Brawl and the right cross between it and Melee (exactly like they said it'd be, actually.)

For those that don't know, the demo will be out for everybody next week. If you're on the fence about it, I'd suggest picking it up and having a go. It's way better than Brawl and the right cross between it and Melee (exactly like they said it'd be, actually.)

Heh. Sakurai thinks that having a demo released 3 weeks before it releases will hold us over until then.

He's a genius.

Watched some streams of the final 3DS version. Really not very impressed with the game. The clones are pretty ridiculous. What's more ridiculous is how more tasteful clones like Lucas and Wolf were removed. 

You talk about it as though Lucas and Wolf would have returned if it wasn't for the other clones. Characters take time. Model swaps with minor changes take less time than fully unique fighters or half-clones that share very little with the characters they're actually based on. It's not like the clones would have been replaced with anything else, they're extra content at virtually no cost.

Mega Man is alright if you know how to use him properly. The range on his dair make it a pretty safe meteor smash and his various projectiles make him good at putting up a wall to keep people out. The only problem is taht once people get inside that wall he's pretty much screwed because his melee attacks are all really easily punished and his recovery is really predictable. He's not bad but he's by far the worst character in the demo.

Villager is totally OP though, I mean what the fuck

Edited by BlitznBurst

I've heard many complaints not from the game itself, but stemming from the fact that the Circle Pad came off or became loose during many people's playthroughs of the game. Has anyone had this happen to them yet?

Anyways, I've tried the demo. Well, not really trying it, but full on obsessed with the demo. My mains so far in the demo is Link and Pikachu. If feels like they improved since Brawl.

Villager is fun to play as, as his moves are wacky, yet effective.

Mega Man feels very different from other characters. The Mega Man that I'd imagine him to be would be along the lines of the Mega Man from Super Smash Flash 2:

http://mcleodgaming.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_(Super_Smash_Flash_2)

Even though Mega Man is different, I still like playing as him. I like how he insta-charges his buster when you do the Forward Smash, and the Spike being the Hard Knuckle.

Overall I enjoy the demo a lot, and will get Smash 4 day 1.

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

I've heard many complaints not from the game itself, but stemming from the fact that the Circle Pad came off or became loose during many people's playthroughs of the game. Has anyone had this happen to them yet?

Circle pad coming off? What the fuck? How? Unless you have literally hulk hands.

So far, Link is my main. He really has been improved. While I'm really good with Megaman, I doubt I'll use him that much.I'm gonna try getting better with Mario now.

Wow, I've played the demo for like 3 hours now.

I play with my CPU's at level 9, because that's as high as it will go, and it's about as good as I am.

Like, I always pick a character, then i make the CPU random.

Wtf, i have gotten pikachu consistently. I have literally gotten only pikachu as my random CPU opponent. I've counted a total number of 47 level 9 pikachus fought and defeated.

Anyone else getting pikachu, and only pikachu when fighting??

Also, villager is OP. That recovery move though, that thing can get out of anything and kill yourself on the top part of the screen, if the game let you.

Circle pad coming off? What the fuck? How? Unless you have literally hulk hands.

I've read reports saying that the circle pad wasn't meant to be played like the analog stick, but that sounds dumb. If there is a Smash game coming out, you would expect everyone to use the circle pad as the analog stick. It's also pretty weird how the circle pad comes off mostly in Nintendo 3DSes, and not XL.

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

I've read reports saying that the circle pad wasn't meant to be played like the analog stick, but that sounds dumb. If there is a Smash game coming out, you would expect everyone to use the circle pad as the analog stick. It's also pretty weird how the circle pad comes off mostly in Nintendo 3DSes, and not XL.

I'm calling bullshit. If the game wasn't meant to be played with the circle pad, why make the game for the 3DS? Somebody's just lying their ass off.

You talk about it as though Lucas and Wolf would have returned if it wasn't for the other clones. Characters take time. Model swaps with minor changes take less time than fully unique fighters or half-clones that share very little with the characters they're actually based on. 

Wha? What is this, an Indie game? Is this not Smash Bros. and Nintendo we're talking about here? Lets be real, smash 4 wii-U barely looks that different from brawl did, and alot of animations were straight imported from brawl. 

It's not like the clones would have been replaced with anything else, they're extra content at virtually no cost.

Yeah, i know, that's the point. It's called being lazy. Wolf and Lucas were clones in moveset likeness of Ness and Fox, but played and LOOKED alot different because their animations and abilities were much different.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Wha? What is this, an Indie game? Is this not Smash Bros. and Nintendo we're talking about here?

Apparently the fact that it's Nintendo making the game means they can just magic up more characters without any actual effort or development time going into them. Okay, then.

Lets be real, smash 4 wii-U barely looks that different from brawl did, and alot of animations were straight imported from brawl.

lol this is blatantly false. Most of the characters were built from the ground up and feel completely different from how they did in Brawl, a lot of their animations are revamped if not replaced completely. About the only area you could say they got "lazy" in is with the voices which are mostly taken from Brawl or other games.

Yeah, i know, that's the point. It's called being lazy. Wolf and Lucas were clones in moveset likeness of Ness and Fox, but played and LOOKED alot different because their animations and abilities were much different.

What's lazy about it? They had some extra development time and decided to throw in some bonus content because there wasn't enough time to make any more actual characters. They literally could not have added Wolf and Lucas in the time it took to create the three clones. A unique fighter with unique properties and animations takes exponentially more time to create than a basic model swap with some minor changes. Even in Melee it was stated that in the amount of time it took them to create the six clones they probably could have added King Dedede instead. That's six clones, all of which were still more complex than the clones in this game, which equal the development time of one character.

Also no seriously guys I cannot emphasize enough how annoying Villager is to play against. CPU is fine since it's stupid as fuck and easy to exploit but a human player can just sit behind the tree and camp for days and his recovery lets him recover from literally anywhere, he can easily ledge stall and his uair pokes through the fucking stage, making it impossible to hit him back unless you're playing as a character that can easily go below the stage to stage spike him and get back up without much trouble. He's not necessarily difficult to bear since most of his options are fairly predictable and easy to avoid if you know what he's doing but he is just so fucking annoying to play against and I fucking hate him.

Edited by BlitznBurst
  • Like 1

@Serephim

Your logic is off for like the first time ever

I would definitely not call smash a lazily made game.

Really? I'd call the last two entries into smash brothers quite lazy, but that's from the perspective of someone who disagrees with Sakurai's belief that the game being well designed is somehow not in the best interest of the series. I do believe the new characters carry the weight of the dreadful clones that showed up in this game, but yeah, smash 4 doesn't really seem all that 'new' to me.

Edited by Serephim

They made an animation for that

That is not what I would call lazy. I don't get why anyone would call smash lazy just because they did a few things you didn't like.

There is so much work, and detail that it's pretty unbelievable. I would imagine there is so much coding for each character that it's ridiculous.

And have you even played the full game?

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

It'll probably be great fun for a few months, then after a while, me and my group of friends are going to start talking mad shit to each other and end up running first-to-five's again. And at that point, if the game feels anything like brawl, its going to get really old, really fast.

I mean, here's to hoping the game isn't going to be like that. But from the information provided from people who've been putting playtime in, it's probably going to be that way for me anyway. 

• Like 1