A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Endless music playing

[ATTACH]112[/ATTACH]

Hello! I've recently invented a method how to make an endless playing music in your game for MMF 1.5-2.

You know that when you use DShow or DMC2 extensions there is a little interval between music loops (when it finishes and starts again) And it is annoying because there is no interval in music in megadrive of gameboy advanes sonics. My method is using macromedia flash for it. You create a music swf with no video (only music playing swf file) and just load it with active X. I tried it on my game Sonic Fusion and it didn't affect on fps but music became perfect. I uploaded a tutorial to show you.

The only thing you need is to download or buy a CD with Macromedia flash MX and build a Shockwave Flash Object.

What do you think about that music playing method.

Well, I've searching to do this in GM6, and I just found an improvised way based on break up the music intro from its rest, and in object event, you first put the intro to play, and using alarms (a kid of time counter), like this:

alarm[0] = ((room_speed)*30)*0.98;

room_speed means the fps from the current room;

30 is the total of seconds from the intro duration;

and 0.98 is a balance to avoid the empty intervals when the intro stops;

For in-depth discussion about the inner mechanics of game creation...This is not a help forum, but rather a place to discuss the way things are (or could) be done.

I just thought that, because Godmaster brought in his way of doing endless music. It's fine in either forum, I suppose, but I think this could be a great discussion on how to nail this method down.

The only thing you need is to download or buy a CD with Macromedia flash MX and build a Shockwave Flash Object.

I'm moneyless. =P If I'm mistaken and his method is free, fill me in. I'm not an expert on this stuff and I'm not going to pretend to be one.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, seeing this thread makes me feel like I am taking the cheap way out :P

I just make & use looping ADX's for my music and a modified in_cube to play them. Makes perfect looping and I could just copy & paste the music files from the Dreamcast era and later Sonic games. Well, for GM that is, I never really used MMF.

But that's an interesting idea, I never would have thought of that.

Wow, seeing this thread makes me feel like I am taking the cheap way out :P

I just make & use looping ADX's for my music and a modified in_cube to play them. Makes perfect looping and I could just copy & paste the music files from the Dreamcast era and later Sonic games. Well, for GM that is, I never really used MMF.

That doesn't sound like the cheap way out; that's actually rather brilliant. I'd say the cheap way out is making your game depend on something big and bloaty like Flash just to play looping music. But hey, whatever works =P

Why do you say "depend"? I don't think that my game depends on Macromedia flash because there is Macromedia flash player almost on every PC. Music from the game also becomes hard-to-stealable.

What I'm saying is that it makes more sense to use a component whose one and only job is to play audio than to invoke something that is designed for vector art and animation, scripting, etc. and all the overhead that comes with it. It's a waste of resources.

It's probably hard for ordinary people to understand, but you'll see what I'm talking about if you ever get farther into the field of game programming.

Additionally, it is almost trivial to extract contents of a Flash file these days =P And like LarkSS mentioned, if the user can hear the music, it's already able to be stolen.

What I'm saying is that it makes more sense to use a component whose one and only job is to play audio than to invoke something that is designed for vector art and animation, scripting, etc. and all the overhead that comes with it. It's a waste of resources.

It's probably hard for ordinary people to understand, but you'll see what I'm talking about if you ever get farther into the field of game programming.

I understand you but I don't care about it. I just use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiousity, couldn't you ( using MMF ) load the mp3 into 2 different channels ( probably with the Modfx extension ), play the first channel, and then when it finishes, start the second channel and keep swapping? Since the mp3 is already loaded in the second channel, I'd think that it should be able to loop without a gap since no extra loading time is required. I may be wrong as this is just an untested thought.

Another idea. Using DirectShow, couldn't you program it so when the play position ( in milliseconds ) reaches the total length minus *insert small number here*, play the song again? ( I mean literally play it, not stop and play as I'm guessing this might make the currently playing song continue as it loads it again for it to be replayed. )