A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic and Tails

Felik

I want to know one thing. Why do nobody make Tails following Sonic in their games? Is it so hard? I'm thinking about that idea. Should I even try this or it is a silly idea? If there are games where Tails follow Sonic please say their titles.

If you mean fan games, Then my game, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG TURBO has a tails follows sonic in it, But only in one zone: ZONE 3 Abandoned Factory.

Also I have Knuckles follows sonic in one zone: ZONE 6 Death Egg Crash Site.

All I did was just replace tails with knuckles.

I want to know one thing. Why do nobody make Tails following Sonic in their games? Is it so hard? I'm thinking about that idea. Should I even try this or it is a silly idea? If there are games where Tails follow Sonic please say their titles.

If you're so great, then you go do it...

There are tutorials on the main site.

Heh. Ok, now I have to do it. I think if I'll do it, I'll make no just Tales following Sonic, I'll make him attacking badnics by himself using special moves, and Sonic wiil be able to fly with him.

P.S. I didn't say that I am so great! I just asked

Oh yeah, I've done it in Sonic's Vacation... The problem you'll have is figuring out how to get Tail's movements seem more realistic and not fake...

Easiest way/method I used? Tail's movements are defined by MMF actually pressing keys to do stuff... That way, he will sometimes miss when trying to attack, sometimes he'll miss jump and fall onto spikes, etc...

Not to mention it allows for a second player to actually play as him... or switch between players on the fly...

Practice, and make your engine modular and flexible...

Depending on sonics engine size, adding a tails follow system can kill the fps pretty badly.

That saddens me as I plan to have two characters following the main character in my game. ( No, not Sonic Heroes people )

And adding a tails follow is as easy as duplicating Sonic's engine and replacing the user input events with either recorded input of your controls or by checking tails' position compared to yours. ( Both in unison would make a very good system actually. )

• 3 weeks later...
Don't all you have to do is recreate the 360 engine for tails, record the buttons you push, and after a set delay have tails respond to those controls and only act on his own if need be?

Well, the thing about that is that now the engine's in there twice. Although I'd agree that a low-end computer shouldn't be running Sonic fangames, you'd want to make it as efficient as possible for a wider audience.

It should be possible to code one single 360 movement event that works on a different object according to parameter and call the events for both characters -- or more, probably. If you could do that, it would run better on crappy computers and you could probably code enemies or bosses that shared the same movement without much hit to performance.

Unless of course I don't know what I'm talking about. But I'd probably be a loony and do it that way if I figured out how.

Well, the thing about that is that now the engine's in there twice. Although I'd agree that a low-end computer shouldn't be running Sonic fangames, you'd want to make it as efficient as possible for a wider audience.

It should be possible to code one single 360 movement event that works on a different object according to parameter and call the events for both characters -- or more, probably. If you could do that, it would run better on crappy computers and you could probably code enemies or bosses that shared the same movement without much hit to performance.

Unless of course I don't know what I'm talking about. But I'd probably be a loony and do it that way if I figured out how.

Still, you would need to have both events occur and the same detections on both engines, wich is still pretty much the same as if you just copy/pasta the events from an engine to another. The problem is, at the end, you'll end up having an inevitable perfomance loss.

And yes, that's how it works on Sonic Dash engine.

Maby, how I would do it, you could use qualifires basicly. Creat two diffrent sencers for sonic and tails, and make the qualifires of both sencers the same so that way sonic and tails will be working on the same movement at once depending on the events. Next you would have to make another qualifire, but for tails ony, and this would be for tails COM and P2 controls. Thats as far as i got right now, but im experimenting on this subject so it might not work out in the end.