A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Gun vs Sword battle!

Aki-at

So I spent sometime yesterday colouring this piece up and I'm particularly happy with how it came out. I liked the way the colouring on the scarf came out as well as the mixture between grey and red. Anyway link to the piece.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41466970/

Comments and criticism are welcomed!

And I'd especially be grateful if anyone can tell me how to do colouring with black for leather clothing! tis be a hard one for me to crack...

• Like 1

@ Rael, Tentril & Scatta: Thank you for liking it and viewing it!

@ Ryan: Hmmm indeed when I was colouring in the picture I was thinking about keeping it in the full picture I scanned it in, however there really wasnt any small bits of details I saw that I thought would be needed for a large picture so I shrunk it down. Anyway I thought it was big enough already XD

Alright. I can do that. The face of the dark skinned dude needs a little work. Also, although you did the shading well, I felt the picture was very flat. Like... You should add depth to the shading. You see the parts that are further away? Push your pencil down a little harder to make it look a little darker. Also, although you did the shading, there's no shadowing. I'd like to see sme of that. It's not a bad picture, really. I like how everything is proportioned. The long scarf thing is funky. I just don't like how you drew the sword. It's as if it's flat facing the "Camera" or whatever. Try to draw it as though it were actually there, tilted away slightly and facing the guy with the gun.

Hmm work on the face, what do you mean? keep in mind that my thumb is the size of his face on paper (and my thumb is like 2cm long!)

I see what you mean by the add to depth, I tried to make their clothes as shiney as possible since I have no really idea how to shade leather and I thought "screw it, its going to be all bling bling" though I had better luck with this piece Leona Character Design

The sword is only flat because of the way the dude is blocking her sword with his gun (Yes they connect or at least look like they are) and I had a hardtime trying to do it any other way, although I'd keep that in mind to make it look less flat next time round.

Thanks for the criticism Streak, appreciate that and will keep it in mind for the future.

Sure.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

Hrm. I dont like how you drew the female. You made her a bit too manly. If you're going for a female-like character, you have to make her features softer. Also, the legs are too flat... Usually, no matter how skinny a girl is, she has somewhat of a curve to her. Try so soften her figure out more. As foe the face... Hoo doggy... /swt