A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic:The 8th Emerald

Majority of the games made in Game Maker seem to be horrible to me.

Thats why when Damizen made that demo in Game Maker with the super giga psysics and crap, i was blown away.

But a good percent of the Game Maker game threads around here turn into "Lol this sux" threads.

This is definately offtopic (in some way), but I just gotta say this: IMHO, GM surpasses MMF in so many levels, and it's just it's way too underrated because people think scripting is difficult. Gentlemen, it's the same thing as the D&D used in MMF but a lot easier to do exception cases... it allows way more flexibility than D&D.

I'm pretty sure if anyone who uses MMF tryied to play around with GM reading the help/manual, they would become aware it isn't as hard as they though at first. I mostly use GM as my RAD toolkit when I need to do fast prototypes or stuff, and it helped me very well.

Really, give a try.

On the other hand, Serephim, where have you been? Lots of GM games have been shown lately and their threads didn't turn into a "lol this sux". In fact, games like SADX turned out to be pretty much awesomer than I excepted them to be, and showed how far can GM go; and I think that's only the surface...

::Ignoring the tempting anti-GM comments::

A few pointers:

1) If you are going to have such outrageously huge and complicated images, load them externally. I don't believe GM compresses its images, so as it is they waste memory and take up space.

2) Always use some form of mask for your main character. You don't want him to get stuck in the floor every time you change animations. Use either a solid circle (for more complex engines) or a solid square (for simpler engines).

3) Unless you really know what you're doing have transitions in seperate parts of sprites than the animation. And "1" probably isn't a speed you're ever going to be using for a character speed. Try lower fractions like "1/2".

Also, a ".gb1" file is a backup file for when your game gets erased. Don't include that, it's just a waste of space.

Sorry but this game isnt good. The engine is very buggy and it needs alot of work. I have a small engine on my site (http://crystalc.x10hosting.com). Its not great but you dont get stuck in the blocks and stuff. Its for game maker aswell and contains alot more features than just the engine (Super sonic , Ring count , Emeralds etc). To find it go to my site then click crystal chaos main site then look for the examples from there. The title screen & loading screen was horrible and this isnt really a demo. The sprites get all messed up like sonic runs when you stand still and also getting stuck in the blocks is really really annoying. Did you put a mask on your characters and did you use precise collision checking. Try using a different engine and make a level then post a demo. Also did you mean to put the editable in the folder aswell. Try making it better and hopefully you can get something good.

Jackaroo :D :D :D

I'll say what I want to say. The level was only like 7 platforms long and it was buggy as crap. Did you not read what happened to him? He had a wipe and made a new game, so he just started this.

If you're going to whine about it, then sorry. You asked to find bugs and I told you: the whole game.

Back when I was new here, we didnt have things like 360 engines or "static", we had "stop dead" fixes and Jamie Baliey's KNP scrolling methods.

With that being said, everyone shut the ____ up and stop taking a steaming ____ on this kid's work. Reguardless if it's awful, there's a significantly easier way to say it. The last time I checked, no one here has produced anything decent. I dont give a ____ if you've been working on something for months or years, has it been released yet? Then get the ____ off my lawn and be quiet.