A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic CB

Ironrind

True. Also, I want to take advantage of those rotated positions that the Sonic 3 sprites have for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I can think of a few things to do with them.

I'm working with a graphics mode right now and I've gotten the framerate up to 56-60 for 'low graphics'. Simply all the player will have to do is hit the +/- to switch(Or set it in options). Key delay shouldn't be a problem either. Once the highest mode is optimized, I'll re-post a demo.

They also take a lot of effort to do which is unnecessary for a Sonic fangame to be fun and playable.

Sonic XG has costume sprites and the game looks perfect!I still think this is the best Sonic fangame.I know,that they were not made from skretch,but they looks "fresh" like in real new game about Sonic.And when i played Sonic CB the first thing i remembered it was Sonic 3/K...Like this is some kind a mode for it,not new game.I think that character design one of the main things.

But thats is only my opinion and i don't think that it will change anything)Want to wish good luck to Ironrind!He made a really great work!!Keep going!

Nothing but 60 on my new beast.

Nice work Ironrind. Your skill with visual effects is nothing short of amazing. You also started putting in a healthy variety of gimmicks, which is something that will win you no small amount of praise from me. A little bit of the stuff there is a touch buggy. You've got ripping issues with the sprite scaling/rotation/skewing/etc and some of the gimmicks are a little weird. All in all it was pretty breathtaking though in need of a little more polish. Again, it's Nothing short of amazing.

Great work so far. Been fond of the idea and it's fun to see a version that I can play with.

I had to fiddle with the priority settings to prevent getting a 5 second key delay, which I've had had the misfortune of experiencing before this. I got rates from 40-60, averaging around 50.

Pentium 4, 3.06 GHz, 1GB RAM, GeForce 6200 256MB.

Thankyou Squall. I will keep the idea of custom sprites in mind. I could change my mind later on down the line so.. Who knows.

Thanks DW. Yeah, there are a couple of things to be added and some rearranging to do here and there. Some gameplay and some visual but, I'll keep polishing up this stage. A setup has been added at the game start, for those who couldn't play the first one due to FPS/Key delay:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyjqom5tzlo

Note:

A smaller screen size should speed things up. Size down to 320x240 if needed. Graphics Mode on low will remove motion blur and most particle effects.

Switching the graphics setting to High changes my average framerate from 26 to 30-34, which feels like it's going twice as fast for whatever reason. Lowering the settings further only seem to help slightly, and the Low setting appears to be the only one that doesn't cause the background to have a permanent blur (double image) to it.

Reducing the resolution to half-size only helped the fps by maybe 2. I would guess that it's something about the game mechanics that's preventing my computer from running the game to twice than what it's getting.

Hmm.. Maybe there are still too many tiles and ground objects. The scripting is pretty light, but I'll check the total object count and continue to cluster some of the individual tiles. Bridges seem to eat up a lot of memory too. They should probably be deactivated based on the nearest player's distance. Okay, working on it..

I'm moving out into a room that was up for rent and will not have internet access. That is until I get a portable laptop with wifi. I'll continue working on this project along with Pure Chaotix without updates. Pure chaotix will use most of the same AI code from this game, but I won't continue with "PC" until, this game is 100% or near complete. The FPS has also improved to run at 60 fps with graphics at max. Exact collison detection was to blame... so I'll be back.

I must say this is one of the most impressive looking sonic games ive seen as of late. The engine is great. Something as simple as the ability to zoom in and out gives this game alot of leeway for gimmicks and speed sections.

I agree with Rael, i really do love your games, Ironrind. They have a different feel to them than the others, and they're always fun to play.

costume

= custom

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...