A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

How NOT to use an online market in your game (GT4)

Blues

If you use a cell phone for it's intended purpse (as in not talking for hours and using it not because you have one but because you're on a bus or there's an emergency or something where you can't get to a phone) then there's no problem.

Unfortunately, it becomes a problem when that same cell phone costs too much, and your parents harp you for not using it enough after they paid a fortune for it. Especially your mother. :P

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cel Phones aren't a status symbol. The poor have them just as readily as the rich. Its strictly a question of personal preference and parental allowence.

Clearly, in America in this 21st century of our's, people don't live within their means. Cel phones are to me a huge symbol of that.

Tracfone vs. RAZR?

I'm sure the richness of it all is why they have this ghetto-speaking guy tell you about how his phone just has the "coolest ____" on every television network meant to appeal to everyone from lower-class to upper-middleclass networks.

Nah dude, its just more of the American excess bull. That comparison is no better of a status symbol than pepsi or coke.

They are trying to pull a trick like the cell phone companies :( Trying to force you into a trap to pay for miniscule stuff in the game. What's stupid is people have become completely brainwashed and ok with spending 50cents for a midi ring tone or paying for a tiny wallpaper of some random crap.

Try like 2 or 3 dollars. That, and I discovered that Little John's Krunk Golf costs 8 to play an unlimited amount of time...

Did I ever once say that cell phones are completely without use?

And I'll have you know that on 9/11, I got by quite adequately without one. My dad works for the government and was flying that very day. You know what though? I don't see how a phone would have done any good then. In the case you mentioned it was nothing more than an instant security blanket where it would have taken you two minutes to reach a phone otherwise.

As for driving to where your dad was when you got injured, you could just as easily have phoned him when you got to the hospital.

As for my reasoning that cell phones aren't a necessity ever... I've traveled all around the world, lived in a good bit of it, been doing so for 18 years, and all but two of them, I've been doing it without a cell phone. To me, there hasn't been a noticable difference. I get by more than well enough without it and a lot better than I did with it.

And lets not mix entertainment into this. Entertainment and cell phones are completely different things. Hell, a cell phone is supposed to be your method of contacting others, not a source of entertainment regardless of what its marketed as these days. Entertainment is an essential of life regardless of where you are getting it, and to be quite honest, gaming is actually one of the cheapest sources of entertainment out there. It is certainly cheaper than that time I decided to take up remote control planes... (which was cool mind you, but the cost of it could get really high really fast.)

But DW, you are forgetting the cell phones greatest feature. SPEED DIAL.

... don't I have that on my regular phone?

@Blues: Yeah, isn't that remarkable. People have to take ____ and blow it out of proportion. DW doesn't like cell phones so he must be a crazy rebellious bastard! And they even have the audacity not to take it to the debate forum.

Oh, and I forgot angsty. You know, those suburbanites who are quite content being suburbanites and make it quite clear that they like being their frugal suburbanite-selves are really full of angst. Yep, dread, anxiety, and anguish certainly mar everything I say because I don't like cell phones.

My only problem was that you took a group of people and then made them the represent the bigger picture.

Yes this is a stupid idea. No it is not the same as cell phones. Cell phones don't force you to pay for the extras. You pay for it, pay for the service and you use it. You don't have to buy ringtones and whatnot unless you're an idiot.

My only problem was that you took a group of people and then made them the represent the bigger picture.

You see, the people who use cell phones superfluously are the bigger picture. If I didn't see people running red lights daily because they were talking on phone while driving, it might not be such a terrible thing. But in all realism, I see suburban families sending their kindergartners to school with cell phones and I see people with very little money talking it up with their phone that takes digital pictures and has a ringtone for every 50 cent song on it... cradling the phone as if it was the world to them. And that sight is just a little too common for me to just disregard it as using a small group to represent the big picture.

And the lack of courtesy with cell phones is astounding. It would be one thing if it was just the occasional cell phone going off during a movie, but every day in Calc-II, I hear phones ring two or three times. Obviously not everyone takes Calc-II. It's pretty much a class dominated wholy by science or engineering fields... and the occasional math major. I'm talking high society here. A few years ago, that was pretty uncommon. Now cell-phones are a real force of society, so forgive me if I don't like what cell-phones do. And yes, I mean cell phones in general, not on an isolated level as you put it.

I was at my house today and was laying down. I wanted to order pizza, but I didn't wanna get up. I thought I would have starved to death if it wasn't for my cell phone on my end table.

Seriously DW, cell phones are the best thing that ever happened to me besides computers.

I suppose you have a point, but still you "don't like what they do." It seems more like you don't like what the people with the phones do. At any rate, whatever, I'll chalk this up as an "I lose" so we can get on with the topic.

Although.. I still say that in the grand scheme of things this game ripoff is nothing like a phone because having a phone doesn't automatically mean you have to download idiotic ringtones and wallpapers just to use it, whereas in the game you're forced to purchase you're first car and you're going to need at least one track. Bottom line: the game forces, but with cell phones most people are willing. Not the same at all.

I suppose you have a point, but still you "don't like what they do." It seems more like you don't like what the people with the phones do. At any rate, whatever, I'll chalk this up as an "I lose" so we can get on with the topic.

Although.. I still say that in the grand scheme of things this game ripoff is nothing like a phone because having a phone doesn't automatically mean you have to download idiotic ringtones and wallpapers just to use it, whereas in the game you're forced to purchase you're first car and you're going to need at least one track. Bottom line: the game forces, but with cell phones most people are willing. Not the same at all.

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people! Guns just get going really fast!