A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Japanese PS3 Price Cut. Plus more Sony bullspit....

Asuma

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Sony-to-Cut-Price-of-PlayStation-3/2006/09/22/1158431881653.html

Sony will cut the domestic price of its basic PlayStation 3 model to 47,600 yen, or about $410, from an originally planned 59,800 yen, or $515. That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen, or $427.

Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi, speaking at the Tokyo Game Show in Makuhari, just east of Tokyo, said the move was in response to consumer complaints the upcoming console was too pricey.

========================================================

http://gonintendo.com/?p=5952

Oh and um, forget free game demos. It's now 1.00 game demos......:rolleyes:

# A few noteworthy things, demos will cost $1.00, you will be able to download 16bit games (MegaDrive Genesis, and PC Engine TurboGrafx) over the network, and share them with friends.

"You mean about Sony cutting the price on PS3 to make it look like they were being generous or something? I totally think it was Koray or someone who said that."

Because it was. Lol, Koray's psychic too. Although.. they don't seem very generous at all. What they seem like is that they care more about the Japanese than anyone else. As if they're the only ones who have complained of the price. My ass. ::Waits for the obligatory "but the US price is significantly cheaper, don't complain!"::

Are you kidding me? What exactly is the point of having the hi-end console outside of space and the ability to watch a movie format 10 years down the line that won't necessarily become the new format? Screw that, I'm just fine with my basic PS3 that pretty much has everything I need. Now see.. if this was the X360, I would agree with you because there is a major difference between the two. With the PS3, though, no.. I'm just going to play videogames, music, and normal DVDs I already own. :D

Are you kidding me? What exactly is the point of having the hi-end console outside of space and the ability to watch a movie format 10 years down the line that won't necessarily become the new format? Screw that, I'm just fine with my basic PS3 that pretty much has everything I need. Now see.. if this was the X360, I would agree with you because there is a major difference between the two. With the PS3, though, no.. I'm just going to play videogames, music, and normal DVDs I already own. :D

I'll admit it, I have no idea what differences there are with the PS3 okay XD but maybe because I haven't been to interested with that console at the moment, what with it coming out in March for the UK and the price tag really really put me off. So far I'm happy sticking to me emulators...I mean consoles.

PS. My PS2 and Dreamcast are eating enough of my time already for me to bother with this next gen marlachy as of the mo.

Oh I see. Well the basic rundown is that they have basically the same thing. Both versions come with HDDs unlike the X360, but the basic version is something like 20(GB?) while the first is like 60. Next they will both play music and DVDs, and both will have wireless controllers (unlike with the X360). However, there's something about HDMI that the first one can't do or something.. I didn't really care either way so I didn't pay attention. They're basically the same machine only one of them has more space and whatnot. Unlike the X360's "here's a crappy package just so we can say we have a consumer-friendly price."

So, what, Japanese care about the true art of creating consoles instead? They might use different tactics to sell the console in the US vs Japan, but they're both trying to make as much money as possible. If it's anything, it's that Sony thinks we're more willing to buy the console so high (though selling it for less other places could change that). As stated, there's such a low supply coming that they'd probably be able to sell all the consoles at the original price in the US. We could see a price drop before it comes out, but my guess is that a drop is more likely to come a year or so after its release instead.

Edit: At which point they'll release the a newer even costlier version.

If Blu-ray fails to make standard, the price will probably never drop... at least on the new consoles anyway.

Below is a double post that has been automagically merged into the original.

US cares too much about money. That why I don't think we'll see a price cut, regardless how much we complain.

And this statement is just dumb. The US has the largest population of debtors of just about any country. US citizens are so irresponsible with their money it makes me gag. Every day I thank bob that I'm not in debt up to my eyeballs... or any debt at all for that matter.

20Gb PS3 model has HDMI output. Official. Worldwide.

This makes the 60Gb model obsolete, as the cheaper model now play both games and hidef movies perfectly. All Sony needs to do now is kill the premium pack and price the cheaper model at $400 in all regions :/

As for the game demos at $1, I'm calling bull____. Neither Eurogamer nor IGN mention that in their coverage of Kutaragi's speech, you'd think it'd be on the front page if he had said something like that. Publishers would be really pissed if true. But as of today, I'm piling it along with the "PS3 can't do 1080p" and "Cell downgraded" lies.

And the TGS games are so ____ing awesome. I'd copy and paste a whole thread w/vids 'n stuff I've been writing for several other forums I frequent, but noone would care :P

If they priced the cheaper model at 400 dollars, I'd probably buy it. 500 is just out of my league though. Funny how Sony could turn around all that hatred I have for them with a simple change of price... well, I'd still hate them, but I'd buy their ____ at least. XBox 360 is cool, but a popular Sony would have more of what I want most likely. If Sony isn't popular... well then the 360 is pretty much the only way to go. Its basically all going to come down to the pricing I guess.