A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Custom tileset

SoniC++

This is the beginings of a custom tileset i've been working on.

image18yx6.png

basic tiles

tilesetab5.png

Quick and dirty mock up.

I plan to use all custom tilesets in my game, since i figured everyone is probably tired of seeing the same ripped stuff over and over; this is the first one i've actually started. Its a huge departure from my normal cell-shaded mario-ish style, so uh, what do you guys think so far?

I'll be honest and say I dislike it.

The shadow needs to be a lot bigger, and more noticeable. At least 10 pixels. Avoid dithering. The ground looks like rusted pipes with grass growing on top of it. It doesn't look like earth at all. Way too shiny. The colors chosen for the slope are just ugly and and it doesn't really match with the rest of the ground at all. Putting grass on it would help. And I don't like how you just used the green hill background. It's really easy to see what it was taken from.

I'd suggest you start out by mixing and matching and editting backgrounds, then moving on to spriting things from scratch.. Keep trying, and good luck.

I'll be honest and say I dislike it.

The shadow needs to be a lot bigger, and more noticeable.

Which shadow?

Avoid dithering.

I guess i can try getting rid of it, although that will probably mean i'l have to abandon a set palette.

The ground looks like rusted pipes with grass growing on top of it. It doesn't look like earth at all. Way too shiny.

I've already started working on that.

The colors chosen for the slope are just ugly and and it doesn't really match with the rest of the ground at all. Putting grass on it would help. And I don't like how you just used the green hill background. It's really easy to see what it was taken from.

Yeah, I wasn't really happy with the ramp's coloring either XD, i just decided to post what i had, after like the 15th time I'd redone it. The GHZ background is only temporary, i just wanted something to go behind the tiles when i put the mockup together.

I'd suggest you start out by mixing and matching and editting backgrounds, then moving on to spriting things from scratch.. Keep trying, and good luck.

I'll just work on this till i get the style down, editing is boring :P

Uh-oh! Maybe Rael0505 now needs glasses! :P;) Seriously, you can't see the other differences? Well, for one thing, he changed the pattern on the slope. For another, (if I'm not mistaken) he made the grass shadow a little bit more prominent. Also, the ground isn't as shiny looking anymore. Those 3 were all easy to see changes; I don't why you didn't see them. Maybe you should go look at that first pic w/ the slope again, and then look at the second again. Maybe you will see it then. I'm sure wasn't your fault. You probably it a few quick looks and didn't give much thought to it. I make those kind of mistakes all the time. :o

Ah, all I really paid attention to was the shadow and didn't pay much attention to the rest. Except the bush which really stands out there. Oops.

The shadow is still no good. Remember when I said avoid dithering? Yeah. And the shadow should still be a bit longer. Take a look at the grass shadow in green hill.

And it looks a bit better without the shine, but there's still something wrong. Maybe try to play with colors a little? And the flat ground under the slope looks really nice. Never noticed it.