A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Dawn of Darkness

Hello everyone, it's Team Dark Shadows and we're doing a fan made Sonic game called Sonic Dawn of Darkness using the Sonic GDK engine with UDK.

Here's our Facebook page to keep you all updated https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1453784128210134&_rdr

please like and help support us, we'll be posting an updated preview pretty soon.

Team Dark Shadows

post-6435-0-82329200-1410035457_thumb.jppost-6435-0-28688800-1410035475_thumb.jppost-6435-0-10703300-1410035502_thumb.jppost-6435-0-33781100-1410035524_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive comment, and those pictures you saw in the Facebook page and our website are actually faaaaaaaar out of date.
Our newest versions of these levels are actually far better and we replaced more of what was originally UDK asset.
We'll be uploading a video to our newest up to date version of our 2nd level in the game pretty soon and you can give full opinions then and you all can point out mistakes,it would really help alot.

• Like 1

I merged the screenshots to your first post to keep the thread organized. I would also suggest you adding in some more information about the project, story, characters, your goals, shit like that. You know, to get people interested, because a link to a facebook page and a few lines of text is an awful way to do so.

Also, about the screenshots... you know that water isn't really blue, right?

Edit that texture, for god's sake. That oversaturated water ruins the whole scene.

• Like 2

I merged the screenshots to your first post to keep the thread organized. I would also suggest you adding in some more information about the project, story, characters, your goals, shit like that. You know, to get people interested, because a link to a facebook page and a few lines of text is an awful way to do so.

Also, about the screenshots... you know that water isn't really blue, right?

Edit that texture, for god's sake. That oversaturated water ruins the whole scene.

Sorry, but how water isn't blue? (Of course is transparent) I mean, by the place, light reflection and refraction, angle and etc, water looks blue or green or it can be seem that is transparent as well. But in the case of the level It can be a stylized water, or a cartoon look - even I dont agreeing sonic been cartonish but rather stylized or abstract realist.

But still not disagreeing with anything you said here. on the contrary. It need more work, variation and then polish. But the scene looks and feel idea still are interesting.

• 2 months later...

- Please don't ever, ever freeze gameplay so a tutorial puppet can talk to you. I'd rather figure it out by mistake, i'm cringing just watching you play this. If you can explain it in a sentence, then you don't need to hog the player's attention to teach them. A hint as subtle as a picture of a button sequence should suffice for any human being over the age of 5, seriously. Humans are very good at hints.

-I actually dig the smaller enclosed areas, i think most 3D games would greatly benefit from that, as well as some more dynamic camera angles. 

-I can't really get a good finger on anything because of how terrible the framerate is, and the fact 60% of this video is some chao mumbling to me.

- Jumping looks very difficult in this game. I would avoid ever including a jump sequence like the one over that pool without platforms at least 200% bigger. It looks agonizing. 

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

-I can't really get a good finger on anything because of how terrible the framerate is, and the fact 60% of this video is some chao mumbling to me.

umm *ah-hem* yeah, what he said.

is there a problem with your game/or pc/the youtube itself?

----------------------

and i have thought that the spike(s) and the others in cave(?) untextured.

"A hint as subtle as a picture of a button sequence should suffice for any human being over the age of 5, seriously. Humans are very good at hints." and yea as he said. you should just give hints and more lengthy level.

you should fix that engine physic too.

*ah-hem* that's all i said