A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Favorite Lost Gems?

I played FM3, beaten both storylines (Emma's and Alisa's). Man, getting the ultimate mech was tricky, fortunately I had the "cheat" in a magazine (coincidentually the same mag that encouraged me to buy Team Buddies)- otherwise I'd have got lost in the ingame internet. And the policewoman (Miho?) was cute :3

Did I hear C64?

project_firestart.jpg

First survival horror ever, anyone? Too bad you have to keep changing the disks and the loading times are atrocious. Other than that, it's perfect.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres an old game you guys can try out, Im showing my age here, but i used to play this with friends when i was a kid.

http://www.spectrum.lovely.net/Chaos.html

Chaos for the Spectrum, you select spells and try to kill the other magicians,

the loading times were slow but it was fun when it started.

Click the full speed box to make it slower if your pc is too fast, then click on the the game to regain control.

Front Mission 3 was my love child. I used to sit in my room for hours and hours and hours playing through both stories over and over again. I still love that mission where they're trying to get back to Japan (I think) and the guy is trying to get the plane in line to go and you have to kill everyone quicksmart.

"Unfortunately, it was 2D on the N64, in a time where 3D was end all be all of console games, so it didn't sell all that well."

... And it's not now? Unless I'm missing something both DS and PSP are using 3D gfx. Yes, I realize the DS has tons of 2D games, but you get my point.

Vectorman? Not exactly unkown but it was awesome. If only SEGA had some common sense we may have seen another great installment.. rather than a Halo-ish wannabe.

But 2D is doing well these days on handhelds. Handdrawn Marina Sprites would be cute ^.^

But if they made a console sequel, I'd kinda prefer it as a 3d side scroller.

The thing is, back when it was kind of N64 vs. PSX vs. Saturn, guess which one got labelled with "Ultimate 2D gaming machine"? Yeah. It was the Saturn, and we all know how that did in the popularity contest (where was Segata Sanshiro when it hit the US?)

Oh, and lots of people probably still have Lemmings or Lemmings 2 for something lying around. Not exactly always brought to mind in today's world of the 2-second attention span, but if you take some time out of your day to play this, you'd be surprised how much time you could waste on it (even if it's only to get 100 lemmings all in the same place and nuke them for kicks). Plus, the music's great.

In the same vein, SimCity 2000. Will forever remain the best incarnation of the series in my heart. Music by The Fat Man (who is actually pretty skinny).

I prefer Simcity 4 to 2000, but I still loved 2000 when it was released. I even bought the GBA port of it. Which sucked. >_<

One thing that annoys me about Simcity 4 is the lack of random disasters except fires. I'd like to have a tornado rip through my city at some point when I'm not the one controlling it.

Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion ( Megadrive/Genesis ), James Pond 2: Robocod (PC version), Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers ( NES ), Beneath a Steel Sky (PC CD version)

MM: COI has been my favorite game all my life. From the first time I played it, I loved it. I still do. Definitaly worth a try if you havent tried it before.

Robocod was I game also played alot as a kid. A friend of mine and I played it all day long. I just found it on a abandonware site a few days ago, and I still love it.

Rescue Rangers is also very awesome. Its a game I often find myself replaying when I have my NES available.

Beneath a Steel Sky is probably the most underrated game of all. If you like point and click, science fiction, bizarre humour, and a good story, this game is really recommended. Its free now too

here's a gem for everyone: Metal Wolf Chaos for the xbox.

The premise? The vice president of the US has taken over the white house and America, the president grabs a prototype mech and goes on a rampage to take his whitehouse back from the badman. The president spouts all kinds of crazy one liners while using assloads of ridiculous guns and missiles. I've never actually played it, but I've watched a few videos and can tell it's a ____ing cult classic! See for yourself:

O_O at MWC

That ... that feeling. It feels like a Dreamcast game!

I can see why it hasn't made a US release, though.

Yea it really does look like it should belong on the dreamcast eh? If I could find a way around the region lock on the xbox I would totally grab that

I had heard about this one, but never got around to see any videos. This was released on the wrong platform for sure, I mean, Jap-only and on Xbox? Had it been DC, PS2 or even GC, the game could have got much more exposition - and maybe have appeared in other regions (if not in America, at least Europe). From Software are the Chromehounds guys, correct? Maybe we'll see a nextgen MWC2 later on [/dreaming].

"Nothing is pointless! Because I'M... THE PRESIDENT OF THE GREAT UNITED STATES... OF AMERICA!"

"Sir, you have an appointment at the Japanese embassy"

"Cancel it, I'VE GOT TO SAVE...AMERICA"

MM: COI has been my favorite game all my life. From the first time I played it, I loved it. I still do. Definitaly worth a try if you havent tried it before.

YES. To this day I'm still wishing that the seven emera-...GEMS turned Mickey into his Super form when he uses them instead of making a stupid rainbow (if you've played the game you know what I'm talking about).

... I own a copy of Bad Dudes, AND I beat it. I really was a bad enough dude to play through a game with ____tastic fighting just so I could save the president from ninjas.

All I can remember about it now was a city level, a fire breathing wierdo, a fancy looking train/truck thing, a midget, a sewer, some evil cloning ninja bastard, an older looking train/truck thing, some giant bastard, and uh... thats all I remember anymore :/ Oh, and a warehouse that was probably the last level.

Guest Shadix
I had heard about this one, but never got around to see any videos. This was released on the wrong platform for sure, I mean, Jap-only and on Xbox? Had it been DC, PS2 or even GC, the game could have got much more exposition - and maybe have appeared in other regions (if not in America, at least Europe). From Software are the Chromehounds guys, correct? Maybe we'll see a nextgen MWC2 later on [/dreaming].

"Nothing is pointless! Because I'M... THE PRESIDENT OF THE GREAT UNITED STATES... OF AMERICA!"

"Sir, you have an appointment at the Japanese embassy"

"Cancel it, I'VE GOT TO SAVE...AMERICA"

YES. To this day I'm still wishing that the seven emera-...GEMS turned Mickey into his Super form when he uses them instead of making a stupid rainbow (if you've played the game you know what I'm talking about).

Oh god... COI was one of those games that just struck me in a good spot.

I had the original for the genesis and LOI for the GG. I freaking loved those games, even if the verdict on the latter is that it was way too easy.

Mischief Makers is definately my favourite N64 game and the best lost gem ever.

I love the Migen and Son battle, where she beats the crap out of both of them and you can grab his fist and puch him with it. Best melee action ever.

So who knows this one?

flashbackjpglj0.png

Flashback got quite a bunch of ports, I played and still own the PC version. Gameplay is similar to the old Prince of Persia (or Another World kinda a prequel), the sprite animations are excepcionally fluid and well made (hold up VERY well even for today's standards). You've got quite a bunch of movesets to master and there's even frame-by-frame handdrawn cutscenes!

As Conrad, you'll land on a mechanized jungle in a unknown place. No memories from what has happened, all you have is a holocube containing a prerecorded message from yourself telling you to meet a friend. The 2nd part of the game is no doubt my favorite, consisting in fulfilling missions to get credits and afford a fake ID to participate in a deadly TV show. Game is pretty much trial and error, with some frantic sequences that require perfect timing and coordinaton (latter stages will make you cry :P). Unconventional ending too, but one that made perfect sense. I should give a try to the sequel someday...