A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Starting Project - Sonic Fan Game Development Kit

Guest Mr Lange

Ok, guys, stop right there.

You are aware that E02 exists right? RIGHT???

Oh yes because I totally want to use a system barely more capable than the Genesis, a bare bones level editor, an asset workflow that rivals Mugen in terms of obscurity and frustration, and be forced to program everything in a language marginally higher level than assembly.

EO2 nailed the Sonic engine, but actually making anything in it is a nightmare.

Edited by Mr Lange

Regardless of how effective E02 is (personally I like it but never thought about using it), if Stardust wants this to be his project, let him do it.

Just because there's a similar program, it doesn't mean you should kill your project. If that was the case, the application market would be severely depressing.

• Like 1

Guest Mr Lange

I would hardly call it similar either. The program Stardust is making here is much higher level. It would have sprite, object, and code editors similar to Game Maker and MMF2, and support higher end graphical features like rotation, scaling, blending, maybe 3d. It's meant to be much more user friendly, intuitive, and streamline editing features specific to Sonic games in ways that can't be done with other programs due to their generic, not-Sonic-specific nature.

Edited by Mr Lange
  • Like 1

Guys, SFGDK is not E02.

E02 is only 8x8 level editor and it is quite buggy and not comfortable.

The levels will be based on tiles and objetcs (Like GM). You can use 128x128/256x256 chunks for the level tiles, like the Genesis ROM hacking.

The objects in the levels will have widgets that change their scale, alpha, angle, visibility and parameters.

You can see above the mouse sonic/knux jump height and tails' maximal flying height.

SFGDK will be also excellent for making HD sonic fangames/remakes, because the engine is NOT limited to palettes.

Edited by Stardust Gear

NEWS ABOUT SFGDK

I have talked with Mr. Lange and decided to use these features:

• Use visual programming language, like Game Maker and Multimedia Fusion 2.
  • Enable docking windows and panels into tab groups, like Visual Studio and Adobe apps.
  • Use individual speeds for frames in animated images. (sprites, tiles, backgrounds, fonts).
  • Enable prefab system for objects (e.g. bosses) to manage individual object parts. Another important feature is that you connect object parameters to the prefab (useful for swing platforms).

Guest Mr Lange

Guys, hold it! We are in danger of drifting off-topic. Please get back to the subject.

We're completely on topic, what are you talking about? SFGDK is being compared to EO2. So we're not allowed to make comparisons? Isn't that a major discussion point for the development of a new Sonic engine? If we were talking solely about EO2, that would be off topic. Comparing this engine to EO2 or any other program for that matter is fully on topic. Nothing is in danger here.

• I need a logo to my program. The best logo will be in the program, and its artist will enter the credits.

Well, I decided to make a quick logo just to pass the time. It's only a work in progress because I don't want to add the coloring if the logo isn't good enough.

http://dariansfiledump.webs.com/sfgdk_logo_wip.png

It's a large image, that's why it's a link.

• Like 2

@Plom150, Nice work.

Some Improvement I would like you will do:

1. Please change the text that sonic hold from "FAN GAME DEV KIT" to "FAN GAME DEVELOPMENT KIT". It is the full name of the project.
  2. You may add some design cliparts, and change it a bit. Your logo would be appropiate for a fangame.
  3. Add more colors.
  4. Add background, of course.
  5. I am looking forward for a shaded version...

EDIT: Plom, don't forget to give me the PS/AI file!!!!!!!!

@Frontrider, I am not sure about the interface of the application. I will talk with my assistant, Mr. Lange.

You can see the screenshot, at the first post.

I would like to publish soon a tech demo of the app interface.

Edited by Stardust Gear

@Jassbec,

PERFECT LOGO

I love your awesome design, you are very close to the final logo.

Just add some design clipart, and your logo is complete.

When you finish, send me different variations of the logo, and it is worthwhile if you make also an icon file. Send me also the .ai or the .psd.

Good Work!

@Plom510, you don't need to work on my logo anymore.

Edited by Stardust Gear

Just add some design clipart, and your logo is complete.

When you finish, send me different variations of the logo, and it is worthwhile if you make also an icon file. Send me also the .ai or the .psd.

I can't send you an .ai or.psd because I'm using MS Paint! :o (Just kidding' I'll send ya the .psd soon)

Also thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Oh, and I don't really get what you mean by "clipart" mind elaborating?

@Jassbec, Just add around some design-related arts, like pencil, ruler, hammer, pins.

I know it is impossible to make this beautiful logo in MS Paint.

A background for this logo could be very nice for me.

(Don't forget a logo without the background)

Jassbec, You are going to join my credit list.

This just occured to me, and this is just a suggestion, and is something that you would do near the end of development, but a Help/FAQ button of some kind that either had tutorials or guides of some kind written into the program or a link to a website with that kind of info would be rather cool and bring in a lot more potential users who don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. 

I'm only suggesting it cause MMF2 had one and I remember it helping me out a few times as a kid which helped me keep experimenting with it.

Hot damn both of those logos look nice.

@Plom150, Nice work.

Some Improvement I would like you will do:

1. Please change the text that sonic hold from "FAN GAME DEV KIT" to "FAN GAME DEVELOPMENT KIT". It is the full name of the project.
  2. You may add some design cliparts, and change it a bit. Your logo would be appropiate for a fangame.
  3. Add more colors.
  4. Add background, of course.
  5. I am looking forward for a shaded version...

EDIT: Plom, don't forget to give me the PS/AI file!!!!!!!!

@Frontrider, I am not sure about the interface of the application. I will talk with my assistant, Mr. Lange.

You can see the screenshot, at the first post.

I would like to publish soon a tech demo of the app interface.

The interface is the last thing i care when it comes to a demo.

The interface is the last thing i care when it comes to a demo.

When it comes to programs like these the interface is actually one of the most important things to get done before releasing a public build so I doubt he'd release it in it's current state if its not finished.