A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Your Top 5 Video Games Of All Time Thread.

Jassbec

So I made this topic out of curiosity, I want to know what your top 5 favorite games of all times are.

Here's how this thread works:

• You must make a list of your favorite games, if you can't decide on what top 5 games, you can either put in more games (no more than 10) or less games (no less than 3).
  • You must list your games in order from 5 to 1 and write a description for each ( it can be short or long, but not overly long), as to why the game is in your favorites.
  • If possible, avoid putting more than 1 game from a series, or if you REALLY like two particular games from a series, you can merge two into one slot, however, I encourage putting only 1 game in your list.

I'll start, just to show how it works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Released 1997)

Kirby's Dreamland 3 stands out as my favorite Kirby game.

Why?

It has one of my favorite art styles in any video game ever, the expansion from Kirby's Dreamland 2 is just perfect, as it follows the mechanic of using partners and abilities to create new powers, but expands on it by adding more partners, the abilities in this game feel really unique.

It was my first Kirby game, as such, it is what made me get into the series and made me love it so much, each time I play it I get a lot of joy.

The Star-Heart collecting mechanic is quite challenging, as you need to complete certain objectives to obtain one (and you need to get one for EACH level) such as finding objects, beating minigames that get really complicated, , and they are needed for the true final boss of the game. (It's a freaking Eyeball that throws IT'S OWN BLOOD AT YOU)

The music is really memorable and the controls are great, while it not be as fast paced as Kirby Super Star, it is still a great game to play despite being slower.

#4 Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Released 1994)

You are all familiar with this masterpiece, so I'll keep it short.

While it might not be as "innovative" as Sonic 1 or 2, it really expands on what made the two previous games so good. Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are good games by themselves, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles gives you the complete near perfected Sonic experience.

The level design is from the best I've seen in Sonic, as they introduce character specific paths, that make you want to replay the game multiple times, and the amount of alternate paths is mind-blowing. This was also the introduction of the fan favorite guardian of the Master Emerald, Knuckles the Echidna.

Not to mention...that music, 'nuff said.

1512602-sonic3_knuckles.jpg

Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle, I'd rather flex my muscles.

#3 Super Smash Bros. Series (released in N64 1999, GCN 2001, Wii 2008, Wii U/ 3DS 2014)

"YOU'RE CHEATING AND BREAKING YOUR OWN RULES"

...I guess I am.

These are another series that need no introduction, you EXACTLY know why it's good, do I really have to go over it? really?

I am personally not a fan of fighting games, however, Smash Bros. is one of the few I play.

Playing with your friends is always a blast, I've played all of the games chronologically, as such, SSM64 started as my favorite, then Melee was, then Brawl and most likely Wii U/3DS will end up being my favorite.

Speaking of series...

If I had to choose one game from the series, well, it's Brawl, for now.

#2 Animal Crossing Series (Released N64 2001, GCN 2004, DS 2005, Wii 2008, 3DS 2012/13)

If possible, avoid putting more than 1 game from a series, or if you REALLY like two particular games from a series, you can merge two into one slot, however, I encourage putting only 1 game in your list.

YES, I AM BREAKING MY OWN RULES AGAIN BUT HEAR ME OUT.

Just like with the Smash Bros. Series, I started by playing the GCN version and fell in love with the series, and started to acquire the sequels, loving them even more than the previous (except City Folk, damn you grass wear).

For those of you who don't know what the Animal Crossing series are, they are life simulation games in which you move into a town and live with animal neighbors while you have to pay your house's loan while taking care of the town while keeping good relationships with your neighbors while being in real time while trying to play at least once a day while joining in the festivities just like in real life while while while while...

It is truly hard to explain what Animal Crossing is about, if you want to truly find out, I'd really recommend buying either the Gamecube, DS or 3DS version, Don't bother with the Wii version.

Currently, New Leaf (3DS) stands as my favorite game in the franchise.

-Now for the honorable mentions!-

Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario Sunshine, Sonic Adventure 2, Super Mario Bros. 2 (US, EUROPE), Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Terraria, Psychonauts.

Now for the number one...

#1 Cave Story (Released 2004)

CAVE F******* STORY.

It was designed by a single man. Christ.

I am going to keep this short, not because everyone knows about it, but because I can keep talking about it ALL DAY.

It's a Metroid/Mega Man inspired game.

I can't really explain why I love it so much.

You know what, it's out for free.

http://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

The fact that it's my favorite game of ALL TIME must mean something, if you haven't played it yet, do it, DO IT NOW, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR.

If you want to know what the game is about better check this out.

http://www.cavestory.org/game-info/about-cave-story.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, share which games are your favorites!

Have Fun!

Edited by Jassbec

In no order.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Dunno if its nostalgia, good design, or all the secrets that existed surrounding (especially when the internet was young). But Sonic 2 is my favorite Sonic game. Close second would be Sonic Advance. S&K, S3, and then the 3D stuff i guess comes later.

Super Metroid / Metroid Prime

Don't know which I respect more. Super Metroid was just a genius videogame, but I dont think anyone expected Metroid Prime to be so damn good, especially not 3 times in a row.

Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1&2 / CARD Revolution

In my humble opinion, PSO is one of the strongest applications of good game design ever, and pretty much a culmination of everything I miss about the old Sonic Team, and videogames in general. This game turned the concept "simple but deep" into an art form. Episode 3 was an equally powerful example of great game design. What it clearly lacked in budget, it made up for in powerful presentation and a surprisingly deep gameplay experience. 

I can only imagine what Sonic Team would have been able to come up with (regarding PSU) if they weren't owned by such a shitty ass company like SEGA. They've pretty much decimated the Phantasy Star series at this point, and I doubt it's ever coming back.

Breath of Fire III / IV / Dragon Quarter

The writing of the Breath of Fire series do this funny thing where the main goal of the title is never anything particularly epic or even important, but the journey the characters take through the world is still powerful enough that the end result is more emotionally gripping then stories that establish an epic plot to begin with. And, just like Sonic Team....I just really wish Capcom wasn't such a terrible company now. Breath of Fire 6 makes me want to kill someone. 

Final Fantasy VII 

It had a great story, the writing was amazing, best RPG ever, yada yada yada

No, the reason this is the best RPG ever is because beyond all its story and writing, this was an RPG that actually told that story through its gameplay. Every memorable, emotional, epic or weird moment in this game was either played out or followed up by a unique gameplay segment that made use of the actual game to make it feel like you were part of the story, like the game was happening to the actual player. It wasn't afraid to break the 4th wall, or be funny, or suspend disbelief, change characters, or do something silly, because at the end of the day it was still a videogame. 

Final Fantasy IX was a faithful return to this type of design, but unfortunately I just didn't find the plot as powerful.  FFX is an honorable mention because of how well designed its RPG elements, plot and characters were. 

Final Fantasy XIII is...well, everything I hate about modern JRPGs, and design-wise is pretty much the literal opposite of everything I wrote about FFVII. It's like Square said "How do we make a game as awesome as Final Fantasy 7?!", and then read a book about how to not make a game anything like Final Fantasy 7. 

Edited by Serephim

Tekken

If had to choose one game alone that could play if no other, It would definetly would be Tekken. I love the way this game moves. This game sometimes feels as if you are dancing or performing acrobatics on the other fighter as you work out your combos. With some characters you are able to fight sitting down, facing backwards, laying on the ground, and other unpredictable ways. It has a diverse character roster and tons unique ideas.

Half-Life 2

Anytime I load this game up with the intention of playing for just a few minutes, it ends up turning into 2 or 3 hours of me making my way through the games 'underground railroad' system. If earth were to be invaded by robot-alien goverment forces, IRL. I think it would be something like this game. The detail, story, and game world is very concinving. And what I find impressive about it is that it's done in a way that it's not a gore-fest, not sexualized, hardly gun-ho, but still the most interesting game I can think of.

Shadow of the Colossus

After playing the demo on some PSX magazine cd, I immediatly knew I had to buy this game. It's like watching those old movies of Sinbad fighting the claymation giants to thrilling orchestral music, but 10x better.

Other favorites: FF7, S&K3, Streets of Rage 2, Wip3out, Contra Hard Corps, Warhammer 40K:Dawn of War, Wizards and Warriors

Now to answer such a difficult question as this topic presents, I have to really think about the games that made me feel alive. So, naturally I probably have to throw out ALL the Sonic games, yes even Lake's games that I love to pieces and at one point considered better than the classic series....and I think I'll throw out games like N, Halo PC/CE, and minecraft, even though they made huge impacts on my life, rl and ol...and of course I can't include the 3 games I've tested/va'd/level designed because well that's just not fair.

I think of the games that really challenged my will to press on and stick it to the bad guy. I think of the ones that are so worth replaying again and again, and the ones that have a killer soundtrack and maybe some fun glitches on the side. There are games, and there are experiences. (Also just bought like 6 MGS games so I might need to edit this in a month.)

5. I Wanna Be The Guy (Wall of text incoming)

Why this game? It's hard. It is so hard. Nothing really beats the sense of satisfaction when I can boast to my real life gamer friends and they say "Wait, you beat that game?!" This game took a full three tries over two years or so to complete (just on Hard. I'm not that crazy, but one of those attempts was on Very Hard). Countless...countless! hours trying to crack the pattern to Mother Brain, trying to beat Kraidgief without cheeseballing him, and that blasted dragon! But none of this strife through the spike corridor, the chaser spike wall, the luck that is the Dracula fight, the spiked-wall-man room and all the other platform hell could compare to the final area. Actually the final area wasn't too bad, but the final boss took a solid 7 hours...pretty much straight...of attempts. I think I might have scared the neighbors with my victory yell when I saw that %&$#*&$ bite the dust, on a glitch win, no less. In other news, the music's catchy, got me interested in some older games like Castlevania, and the replay value is pretty rad. One day, Very Hard mode will fall. The game is hard, but fair. It's trial and error for the most part, sure, but it can be mastered with muscle memory and intuition.

I'll add the other four later. It's noon, and I have like 6 weeks worth of school to catch up on.

I'm going to exclude any sonic game for my list, because everyone loves sonic 2. Give me liberty, or give me sonic 2! I'm also not going to talk about the game part of why I like the game, but just why I like the game. If that makes sense...

#5: Kirby Air Ride

This game is just phenomenal. I love every Kirby game in the series, but this one stands out because it was my first kirby game, and was super fun with friends. (and technically the only 3D kirby game out there) And it made me the cool-kid on the block because I owned it. (along with melee) I even converted some die hard playstation 2 fans over to the nintendo side of things. (could never get those dang Xbox fans though...)

#4: Super Smash Bros. Melee

64 and brawl are still amazing, but this game stands out to me because it was the game that introduced me to some of my favorite series: Kirby and Zelda specifically, as well as Metroid. This game is actually why Kirby Air ride was my first kirby game. I liked the character so much, I wanted more. there weren't any traditional kirby games on the GC, so it was my only option, as I didn't have any portables at the time. (I got amazing mirror when I got my GBA the next year though :P)

#3: Vectorman

Vectorman was an amazing game. 'Nuff said. I inherited it from my cousin, along with Sonic 2, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic Spinball, and... The Toy Story game?... Huh. I actually had Vecotrman on the Genesis, (not on gems collection like most people played it) and I loved it. When I got Gems collection for GC, I was all like "HOLY CRAP there'a a vectorman 2 I didn't know about. I was disappointing in it. Not a bad game, 2 just doesn't live up to 1. Good game, try it.

#2: Chibi-Robo

What do you get when Banjo Kazooie, Animal Crossing, and The Legend of Zelda have a baby? You get Chibi-Robo. This is one of the most underrated games of all time, and it's just straight amazing. I don't want to go into details as to why the game is great, because I said I wouldn't. I don't even remember how I came across this game. It just kinda showed up...

#1: Cave Story

Just reread Jassbec's #1 choice again.

Honorable Mentions in no order and still no sonic games: Ocarina of Time, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Rocket Knight Adventures, Pokemon Fire Red, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario Bros.

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger

Since I am a douche who wants attention... Why shouldn't I post my o(pi)nion to and yell at everybody who doesn't agree to me... But humor aside, heres my list:

#5. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (Sony PS2)

It may seem odd that I am a fan of this show, but I LOVED it. As much as I loved the show I love this game. It's huge world containing lots and lots of references to the show (e.g. the candy bar bus scene in "Rock Bottom" or Sand Mountain). It's characters represent the spirit of the show perfect and the original voice actors sound great. All in all, I like it and everybody should check it out at least once.

#4. Contra Hard Corps (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

You know the drill, kill them all while shooting your gun in 8 directions. But this Contra is different. First of all, the game has a STORY! in which you can choose the outcoming. Also there are more levels than ever before, 16 in total to be exact. There are more (35 in total) and larger bosses than in any Contra before. The music is god-like and the visuals contain more than anybody would expect from the Genesis (effects contain even Sprite-rotation, something the SNES could NOT handle). Generally the game is way more fast-paced and rad than the other Contra games and it has still a special place in my heart.

#3. Virtua Racing (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

Actually this isn't that great of a game but I'm still putting this on the list because of memories. Me and my friends and siblings has SO much fun playing is back in the day and even today we play this game when we meet. Also it's very interessting because of the SVP in it.

#2. Megaman: The Wily Wars/ Rockman: Mega World (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)

I love the Genesis, I love Rockman. It's both in one and I LOVE IT! It's basicly Rockman 1, 2 and 3 in one cartridge. Take out the passwords, put a battery in and create a Genesis-exlusive episode containing all of the gimmics of these games, include it and you got this game. It's features all that was great in the three first Rockman titles and updates it with Genesis grafics and music. Also unlike Rockman 7 this game conatins the "old" classic-Rockman design what is notable, considering Rockman 8 promos already established the Rockman 7 styled classic-Rockman design.

#1.  Sonic CD and S3&K (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and Sega CD/Mega CD)

Actually this would be cheating but I couldn't decide which one is better. S3&K has great visuals, lots of creative levels and incredible music.

SonicCD on the other hand has too great music (I was lucky to live in Europe), incredible visuals and innovative bosses. Also the time travelling idea showcases so many different art styles in this one game. A large number of very nice gimmics are present in all over the game and i love them.

If you really want me to choose then I'd pick SCD. It's music and level design is (in my opinion) greater than anything before.

Other games I love but I couldn't fit on this list are: the GTA series (especially from 3 to VCS), Street Fighter 2:SCE, Zero Tolerance, Gran Turismo series (especially 3, Concept and 4) and the Streets of Rage/ Bare Knuckle series.

• Like 1

Beh. There are so many good games that I can't just compile a list just like that. But I'll try my hardest, and it may change (Assuming that this becomes a hot topic).

#5 Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 1&2 (Game Boy Advance, NA released 2006)

Yeah, this was kind of an obscure game to have on my list. It is a tactical role-playing game, just like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. Some might even call this game "Fire Emblem, but with Super Robots!" Frankly, it deserves the title. As usual, you control multiple mechs and destroy the enemy. The thing is, after you set an attack, it takes on a very flashy visual sequence in which the mech annihilates the enemy, sorta like an anime style cutscene.

hqdefault.jpg

The visuals are great, the music epic, and the battle system is detailed. Admittedly though, the game can get rather hard, especially since there are boss characters that have about 20,000 HP while you have about 5,000 - 8,000 HP. It also does not help that there is no difficulty switch of any sort. Although thankfully there are remedies for problems like that, such as skills that let you evade the enemy no matter what, skills that let you always hit the opponent, and skills that double their damage output.

#4 Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sega Genesis, NA released 1994)

I mean why am I in this forum if there wasn't a Sonic game on my favorites. What can I say about the game that hasn't already been said in this topic?

187072_sonic3knuckles02_medium.jpg

The level design is splendid, the music is top notch, and the goodies in which you can get (Plus the addition of alternate pathways for different characters) spawns infinite playthroughs. Sweet game.

#3 Super Mario World / Super Mario Advance 2 (Super Nintendo, Game Boy Advance, NA released 1990, 2001)

Super Mario World is the best Mario game I have ever played. The level design is great, the control is easy-to-pick-up, the music is catchy, and the background is beautiful.

super-mario-world1109.jpg

But I bet what this forum is asking: "GASP! A Mario game is above a Sonic game?! Down with AnOrdinaryMarioFan!" Here is one word for ya, people:

NOSTALGIA.

This game was at one point all that I have ever played on the Game Boy (At this point, I'm talking about the Mario World port on Advance 2), and I don't regret those years of 100 percenting the game.

#2  The Super Smash Bros. Series (NA released in N64 (1999), GCN (2001), Wii (2008), Wii U/ 3DS (June 1, 2014, please, Nintendo?))

Also known by many as one of the best fighting series compared to the likes of Super Hyper Mega Street Fighter II Turbo Arcade HD Remix: Gold Edition and Marvel VS Capcom VS Tatsunoko VS SNK VS DC Universe X Namco. All joking aside, The series is the best fighting game series I have ever played. For those of you wondering, this is the games in order of my preference:

Super Smash Bros. < Super Smash Bros. Brawl < Super Smash Bros. Melee <<<<< Super Smash Bros. 4 (hopefully!).

SSBB_Gameplay.jpg

The fighting mechanics are great, the music is... *Head explodes*. The visuals are great, and it did what it did very well. That applies to every game mentioned above. The only crappy part about Smash was Subspace Emissary, but then again no one liked Subspace Emissary. Here's to Smash 4, everyone.

#1 Fire Emblem Awakening - The game graced by gods (Nintendo 3DS (XL), 2DS, NA released 2013)

I apologize if I put a game too recent to be on anyone's favorite game's list such as my own, but I can't help it. Fire Emblem Awakening is a game that can have standards, and exceeds them by a mile.

313774-fire-emblem-awakening-gameplay.jp

Fire Emblem is a game done completely right. The gameplay for a Tactical Role Playing video game exceeds far beyond what Super Robot Taisen would ever go. I mentioned on Super Robot Taisen that it was too hard, and that you can't set any difficulty. In Fire Emblem Awakening, you can basically make this game to be the easiest game, or possibly one of the hardest games you'll ever play. I have never seen a game that can masterfully do something like that. There are some new stuff that is introduced into this RPG masterpiece, such as the option of marrying your teammate and have a child that inherits both the stats from the dad and mom. What helps is the game's LEGENDARY soundtrack. Don't believe me?

If you haven't played this game at all, fix that problem immediately. You'll be glad you did.

Sorry I overdid this post, guys. I just wanna stop having rainbows gushing out of my mouth from all of this epic. I'm done, I'm done.

The following are some of my favourite video games, with the version(s) listed I personally prefer playing.

#5 - Super Mario 64 (Wii/DS)

This is the game that got me into the Mario series. It's a wonderfully crafted 3D platformer that deserves the praise it has received. I was hooked on this game for many months. If you haven't played this game, you are missing out on a big piece of gaming history.

supermario64ds_002-large.jpg

#4 - The Simpsons Hit & Run (Any Version)

You play as The Simpsons (and Apu) in Springfield. It's an open world sandbox kind of game. You are able to free roam and complete missions to progress the storyline. It's a very fun game. It's a shame it hasn't received a sequel.

Hit_and_run_L1.jpg

#3 - Sonic Colours (Wii Version)

Easily the best looking Sonic game in the series. The Wii's hardware did not limit this game much. Every location makes you feel like you're actually there. It's full of detail. The game feels like an actual theme park set in space. It's a beautiful game with fantastic visuals and music.

sweet-mountain-high-resolution-screen-1.

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast/Gamecube Version)

Easily my favourite 3D Sonic game. The gameplay is top notch with a great soundtrack and a great sense of style. Six playable characters, an interesting storyline, solid gameplay. It's a game I'm happy to play over and over.

SonicAdventure2BattleWallpaper1024x768.j

#2 - The Urbz: Sims in the City (GBA/DS Version)
Ignore the mediocre console version. The handheld version is phenomenal and full of soul. It's a cross between a simulation and action game. I have been playing The Urbz for almost a decade and I still find it to be very enjoyable. I recommend buying the DS version and playing it on your 3DS.

The_Urbz_NDS_front.jpg

#1 - Mirror's Edge (360/PS3/PC Version)

An incredible game. It's a first person platformer. You play as a runner called Faith and use parkour abilities. The gameplay style is get to the goal with some brain teaser sections here and there. The visuals and music is also incredible. A must buy title.

OEQRVQc.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...