A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Kill La Kill

Rawr

kill-la-kill-ryuuko.jpg

"Kill la Kill (キルラキル Kiru ra Kiru?) is a television anime series produced by Trigger. The series, which is Trigger's first original television anime project, is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi and written by Kazuki Nakashima, both of whom had previously worked together on Gurren Lagann. The series began airing in Japan from October 3, 2013. Aniplex of America has licensed the anime for a simulcast and a home video release. A manga adaptation by Ryō Akizuki began serialization in Kadokawa Shoten's Young Ace magazine from October 4, 2013." - Wikipedia

Anyone else here watching it? I've seen gsoft mentioned it in the SFGHQ/United merge thread and that gave me the idea to create this topic. For anyone who knows me even a little is that I am a huge fan of Hiroyuki Imaishi, his work has influenced my own over the last few years quite immensely. I am instantly drawn to his incredible, snappy keyframe animation and his foreshortening heavy visual style. However he isn't the only one from Trigger that I take influence from as there is a multitude of high talent sitting in that studio (You Yoshinari and Sushio for example). I have not been this in love with an anime since Gurren Lagann melted my face off when it came out, which introduced me to the talents of the people who inspire me a lot today. I went back and watched Dead Leaves, FLCL, Diebuster etc after watching Gurren. Before that I wasn't really a huge buff on anime haha! The stuff just oozes style.

So far I've been impressed with this show on all fronts. Kinda seems like something I'd probably draw so that alone is like a +1 for my enjoyment right there. Also for acting on a limited budget as Trigger is a smaller studio, the work still really holds up and is full of energy. There is clear visual shortcuts taken in some of the episodes but they know how to work around them fairly well. A staple of a lot of Imaishi's past projects has always been using limited animation in his favour. Dead Leaves comes to mind with animation even more limited than what is present here but given a very comic book approach. I feel Kill La Kill kind of has that same sort of feel minus the comic paneling compositions present there. It knows full well what it is as a show and executes itself with a lot of competency that only could come about from the collective years of experience these people have. I mean this is the same studio that made Little Witch Academia and that too was brilliant. I also love how its taking the high school setting and the magical girl trope and making it into something I can really get into, as those two tropes aren't really my deal most of the time.

So yeah, anyone else watching this? Thoughts? As you can tell I love the hell out of it and Trigger as a whole but I'm curious to know who else has been keeping up with this one.

• Like 1

DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAY

Goddamn, that's one awesome soundtrack. Hiroyuki Sawano kicks ass... but goddamn he really likes to put incredibly weird names to his songs. KlK's titles are just mostly puns, though.

Watch this thing, people. It's hilarious.

also nonon best deva

Seriously Rawr, you should've been working with Trigger on this. Your artwork + their animation would create something way beyond amazing.

• Like 1

I actually did submit my portfolio to them and they got back to me, but due to them being a smaller size right now they aren't taking foreigners. I wouldn't be surprised too if my lack of being able to speak Japanese would hurt me too but I figured it was worth a shot just to see!

• Like 1

Haha yeah I did it over facebook since I couldn't find a contact email and I know on their official facebook page they sometimes post in English too. So I sent them a polite private message and apologized for the lack of Japanese etc and asked them if they were hiring (preferably in storyboard positions) and all that good stuff. Threw in a link to my portfolio as well and a couple weeks later they got back to me! It was pretty cool, even though I was basically told they weren't looking outside of Japan for now it still really made my day haha.

I need to pickup where I left it. I believe I'm 3 or 4 episodes off.

I love the designs and the animation itself. The over-the-top action is suberb and it's pretty funny once you get the jokes on anime stereotypes.

Even though I'm not a big anime fan, I'm truly able to enjoy this. :3

Oh boy. A Kill La Kill topic! Just when I needed to stop spamming KLK vids in the anime topic.

Anyways I've been loving the series. Its quite hilarious and has great moments of action. For something based off the magical girl anime, this really does take the cake. The clothing theme is out there but it does come off as rather interesting. And I really love these characters for being pretty wacky in their own way, even Ryuko does some crazy stuff on par with Gamagori.

Great series and I just can never wait for the next episode.

@OrdinarySF: Basically a bunch of dudes from Gainax went to form Trigger, and this is their debut work.

From the minds that brought you FLCL, TTGL and PSG, you have this. Some claim it's THE SAVIOR OF ANIMU - dunno about that, but it's a great watch.

@OrdinarySF: Basically a bunch of dudes from Gainax went to form Trigger, and this is their debut work.

From the minds that brought you FLCL, TTGL and PSG, you have this. Some claim it's THE SAVIOR OF ANIMU - dunno about that, but it's a great watch.

*From the minds that brought you ADHD: The Anime, Tengen Toppa Fuck Logic up the Ass, and America: The Anime, you have this.

On a semi-serious note, I wonder why it's the Savior of Anime? *Looks at the gif again*

Alright, I might as well move this anime up the bucket list.

Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

It's definitely reinvigorated my interest in the medium, although I wouldn't say it is necessarily saving anime. I mean there is a lot of different stuff out there for everyone with different interests - it just so happens that a good 90% of that stuff doesn't appeal to me. However this season I've been watching Kyousogiga (another great one) and this, when in the past year alone I haven't even watched any anime as it has come out. It's definitely bringing that over the top appeal that I like from the older Gainax works into the mix. Next season I'll have Space Dandy to add to the list too. It's a good time for some more oddball/creative shows out there right now compared to previous seasons!

DID ANYONE ELSE WATCH THE LATEST EPISODE YET??

The other part of the scissor sword...it is here!

Also I bet you any money that Ragyo (Satsuki's mother) is the one who got turned into a monster during that one scene in a previous episode. You know the one where Tsumugu first shows up and they reveal that the one woman (who I assume was someone special to him) was transformed into a ~monster~. Looking at her this seems to be the case as her hair and everything looks like Ryuko's when she transforms.

Which also begs the question since Satsuki's doesn't do that, is Ryuko also related somehow to Satsuki? I mean that assumption is a long shot but stttttiiiillllll.

Also the revelation that it was NOT Satsuki with the other scissor sword kind of caught me off guard. I had a feeling since day one that the student council is not necessarily evil but founded on some strange form of righteousness that kind of got muddled along the way. I have a feeling Satsuki was trying to build up an army to combat her mother for some reason, which is why all this is now being set in motion.

Nudist Beach I have a feeling will end up becoming another 'villainous' group as time goes on - they certainly are concerned about Ryuko. Perhaps they feel she would turn into another Ragyo case if my other theory is correct. In the end they are no different to me than Satsuki and co. at this point - perhaps they too are misguided. The thing is that Ryuko as well isn't really a clear cut protagonist either. There seems to be a lot of grey areas concerning the heroes and villains of this show which is nice. The only solid villainous group I can see would be the Kiryuin family above Satsuki.

Of course I mean I could be all wrong but this -so far- seems to be the way the show is framing things to be.

But man what an episode. Great action sequences and I was glad to see a crazy and plot shifting intrusion onto the tournament arc. It did catch me by surprise.

THE ONLY THING that doesn't make sense to me yet is that during the flashback Harime looked like Satsuki. I mean its entirely reasonable that perhaps Ryuko's memory was muddled or that Harime had a different hairstyle. So this could all just be a bit of a ruse - but if Satsuki actually had the blade then it'd have been with her at the school I'd think. So I do hope that gets explained.

DID ANYONE ELSE WATCH THE LATEST EPISODE YET??

YAH I DID! MAH REACTION WAS...

Personally I was surprised by Nui's reveal. I'm kind of on the fence with believing her to be Issun's murderer. The only reasons I believe this is that Nui doesn't really fit in with Ryuko's flashback. Namely because when Ryuko got a glimpse of Issun's murder, the first thing she sees is a red scissor, much like the one she wields. The one Nui uses is blue/purple. Sure the flashback was mostly colored in red, but there was contrast in it so you can tell its a bright red, not a dark blue/purple. Secondly she doesn't match the figure that ran off with the scissor. The figure in question looks more like Satsuki than anything.

But at this point I'm starting to suspect it was Satsuki's mom who murdered him. She does look like her daughter and there's no such thing as a haircut. But it could had been Nui who killed him and just threw the half scissor to Satsuki who ran off with it. Next episode gotta explain this shit.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

You mean ep11 is out?Fucking sweet!

I've seen this girl too many times on the internet,and ended up succumbing into watching it,even if I'm not into animu.I don't regret it one bit,I ended up loving this thing and watched all 10 episodes in a row.

Will post more opinions later,I'm gonna track down the newest ep right now.I gotta say though,the first time I started seeing this Ryuko's face all over 4chan,the first thing that came to my mind really was your artwork,Rawr.It's also one of the reasons that made me want to watch it.

g2g,new ep already loading up.

Haha I'm alllll about Ryuko though. She's super cool. Mako is great though too - then again I don't think I actively dislike any of the characters I've seen in the show so far which is great. I love all the villains too.

Going to watch #11 tonight, we'll see if Nui is indeed a worthy new loli.

EDIT: Alright... Looks like we got some nipah~ here (Yukari Tamura). Dat spiked fingernail.

Battles with kickass classic music ringing at full volume, interspersed with a new (?) awesome song, then a big finishing hit... but nope - still going, at least a little bit more. Nonon best deva indeed.

Also the revelation... yeah right. As Crow said, the flashback right after the "revelation" clearly showed a tall figure with hair like Satsuki's, so I'm not that convinced yet. Then again, Rawr does point out that Ryuuko's memory could be wrong - but if she never met Satsuki before that, I don't think there's room for confusion or memory mixups - the figure she saw most likely got burned as a VERY permanent memory, and it looks like Satsuki.

We also got to hear more of Ragyou's song - it's rather weird but still awesome. Gah, can't wait for that soundtrack... it's coming out on christmas fffffffffff

Well...

When Ryuko was talking to Mako about all this, according to Ryuko the flashback took "months ago" meaning its a more recent memory and it should be accurate because of it. So unless Nui is the world's greatest Satsuki cosplayer or she gave the scissor to Satsuki, thus taking the blame for all the events in such short time I'm not fully convinced she's Issun's murderer. I'm assuming she's really saying it piss off Ryuko.

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of things mirror the things Ryuko does. The obvious would be how different Satsuki's transformation sequence is to Ryuko's. But more recent is that Nui did the same exact twirling animation that Ryuko did when she revealed her scissor blade. And someone even made the comparison and I didn't bother to look for it. Its interesting to point out.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET