A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Movie Confirmed

Stritix

As reported by Anime News Network, several domains have been registered that should look particularly interesting to Sonic fans: sonicthehedgehog-movie.com, sonicthehedgehog-movie.net, and sonicthehedgehogmovie.net.

There is currently nothing at the sites, but check out the Whois info – it looks like this could be the real deal, because “SPD Domain Names Inc.” is the official domain registrar of Sony Pictures.

With nothing else to go on, here, let the endless speculation and tentative excitement commence! I’m personally excited, because Genndy Tartakovsky is part of Sony Pictures Animation. If he directs an animated Sonic movie, it would be amazing! Well, I can dream, can’t I?

http://sonicunited.org/2013/12/07/possible-sonic-movie-from-sony-pictures-domain-names-registered/

Credit to Mercury for the article.

Could we possibly be seeing a new Sonic movie next year? I hope so.

• 2 weeks later...

Sony is making (with partners, anyway) a Ratchet film, a Heavenly Sword film, and a Last of Us Film based on all sources. It isn't too farfetched that they would want to dominate the video game film niche, especially with the success of Wreck-It Ralph showing you CAN have video game themes and not be terrible.

They also could simply just be in talks and the domains are registered just in case. Sony gets involved in all sorts of franchises, we must remember; consider how they have a lot of hold over Spiderman despite that technically being Marvel's. They HAVE done this before.

My prediction is any film will most likely be based off Sonic Boom, and probably be released in late 2015, by which point Sonic Boom will have completed its run, and the movie could also ride Ratchet's coattails.

• 5 months later...

It's real. And it's live action/CGI. Let the end times begin.

Facepalm.gif

Oh my God...Did they not see the 18 min. "experiment" currently on youtube? The CGI/Live action formula does not go over well with almost any video game franchise, let alone Sonic. This would work so much better and take less heat from fanbases if it was done the way Sonic Boom is being done now. Edit: Or Night of the Werehog, I keep forgetting about that.

• Like 2

The studio is teaming with Japan-based production company Marza Animation Planet, a division of the Sega Sammy Group, to make a hybrid computer-animated/live-action feature.

A hybrid...of cgi and...live...action...

live...action....

Sonic in live action

SonicFanFilm_Full.jpg

A full CGI like night of the werehog would have been a MUCH better choice. The animation for that was fantastic but for this, well, just going to have to wait and see.

I'm betting 10 Internet Points that

1. There will be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, but it will be bad.
  2. There won't be a a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, and it's just a troll.

Guys, remember when I said this? Considering that the Top People are choosing the movie to be like the Smurfs (CGI + Live-action), I'm leaning VERY CLOSELY towards 1.

I'm betting 10 Internet Points that

1. There will be a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, but it will be bad.
  2. There won't be a a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, and it's just a troll.
Edited by AnOrdinarySonicFan

They have me with Marza doing animation.
They lose me with Live Action.

Strange that's how I feel in general with the series lately - one good thing I find is usually offset with something super crappy. Of course seeing as I have nothing to go on besides those two things right now I can't know for sure if it is going to be shit or not yet sooooo...I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Welp, RIP Sonic Movie hopes. What could have at least made Sonic a little more respectable will now leave him in more smoldering flames the Shadow the- Sonic 200- you get the point.

Of course, this could be good? If they try really hard? But Live action + Anything seems kinda bad... besides Space Jam. I wanna give this a chance but this is a long shot. Heck Dragon Ball Z features human's / people who look like humans, how hard was it to give them a proper costume? I just- my hopes won't be getting very high with this, sorry.