A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Actually looking at the tiles closer, some of the ARE from Megaman 2's intro movie. He probably used those tiles as a base, but I'm getting off topic here. The screenshots look great, and they give off that Sonic Advance feeling for me. Can't wait to see more.

New zone

IMAGES

well, those screen shots dont show much how this zone works but all i can say for now is that it is a whole new concept of a water level that no one else did before in a sonic game.

at least i think so...

Looks pretty nice. How did you do the underwater look in the parallax?

Two screenshots from the opening of my now untitled game

Sonic is blasted out of the Death Egg...

screen1qp.png

Sonic has a plan now...

screen2fj.png

credit goes to Damien for the Death Egg shot seen in the first screenshot.

Note!!! The Sonic sprite in screenshot 2 does not have the new design on it. I worked on the intro before I started work on the art, so I didn't have the new sprite to use in that part. The first screen does use the new design because I've recently been working on that scene.

Like, what if the player had one or two emeralds? Just an idea.

A romhack that I don't remember the name now used to give you special abilities for every emerald you collected. Might be MegaMix. Not sure.

@Lake: My opinion doesn't count for your screenshots. You already know that I'll make the balloon juice. Anyways, I love it.

If I didn't tell you what "make a balloon juice" stands for, or if you don't know, it means "puxar o saco".

@Betaman: Dude, This is lookin great actually, though I don't like Sonic's mouth... The classic and next-gen styles didn't have it, and the modern style had a sarcastic-looking one. You know, that thing of "I'm Sonic and I have a steadfast-heart-of-gold while I hear that It Doesn't Matter song".

@JetHawk95: I want to see more of this... Got interested.

The mouth is a bit iffy for me, I was trying to mix Sonic CD and Sonic 3's styles there, but it didn't work. I'm just going to say right now that I HATE almost everything about Sonic 3's sprites. The way they look, the colors, and that strange look on his face.

But the thing I hate the most is how everybody uses Sonic 3 sprites and edits ONLY Sonic 3 sprites as opposed to any others. It's almost as bad as the Sonic Advances sprite sets in my opinion, and it's not like there aren't any other variations of Sonic to work with. The only things I did like on it were the positions of Sonic's hands and the positions of Sonic's feet. Compared to Sonic 3, his hands were too small and wiry and his feet were HUGE and pointy in the first and second titles.

But meh, I'll work on the mouth, although there's not much to work with unless I take it out.

EDIT: Worked on the mouth and I have two variations of the sprite, one with a more Sonic 3 take, and one with no mouth. As a little teaser, I have a piece of the intro for you as well. Enjoy seeing a part of Robotnik's "latest" death machine.

edited1k.png

#2. No mouth. Definitely. [2]

Also, you should take a better look at his glove. The shading looks weird, try making a shading more like a ball... And the palette doesn't look good somehow... Dunno, I guess you can highlight it a bit on the light points and make it darker at the dark points.

Sonic's right leg (at your left) seems weird with that grey shade and the foot looks darker than the left one...

No mouth it is. I'll work on the gloves and some of the shading. In the meantime, I'm working on the intro movie and the first zone. I finally have a use for the unused Sonic 3 intro objects now. The first Zone is a beach and a dense forest area.

EDIT: Here are two more styles. The first one is only edited a bit, and the second one is edited with more emphasis on detail to the hands and feet, making it more like the Sonic 3 sprite in terms of positions. (The hands are actually from the Sonic 3 sprite, pasted on an armless base I made, and then edited to use my palette. The third is a waiting pose for my heavily edited sprite, no I will not edit out the mouth on that one as it was already there. Finally, the fourth is a WIP of the "surfboard" from the intro.

moreedited.png

EDIT 2: Here's some WIP zone art for a loop and the boss of the level.

zone1idea.png

The Eggmobile at the top is the pinch mode form, when Robotnik gets pissed off and attacks more aggressively. As seen in the picture, the Eggmobile's headlight glows red and blue sparks shoot out of the side exhaust vents. Zone 1's boss is a take on the Caterkiller Jr. or Boa Boa Badnik in huge form.

Now that I have all that settled, I need a name. The plot for this had to do with the Chaos Emeralds changing a small island into a large one. (Similar to how Dr. Robotnik used the Chaos Rings to transform Metal Sonic at the end of Knuckles chaotix, but on a much larger scale) So, I called it "Sonic the Hedgehog: Emerald Chaos" but that seems a bit bland. What do you guys think?

The new sprite edits are looking good. I prefer the shading on the second. The surfboard sprite is a bit odd. The spines aren't styled the same as the ones in your other sprites. Sort that out and it'll be fine.

Not too sure why half of that loop is dark and the other is light. Keep it all light and it'll look fine.

Pretty sure there's already a fangame called Sonic the Hedgehog: Emerald Chaos. The fangame names I prefer are the ones with interesting words like Nexus and Axiom. I'd recommend something like Sonic Vex.

The new sprite edits are looking good. I prefer the shading on the second. The surfboard sprite is a bit odd. The spines aren't styled the same as the ones in your other sprites. Sort that out and it'll be fine.

That was a raw sprite that's not finished yet, I've edited it more now and it looks a bit better.

Not too sure why half of that loop is dark and the other is light. Keep it all light and it'll look fine.

Yeah, I was making it so that the part of the loop in the back was darker than the front to show depth, but I left a piece out. There should have been a small piece extending off the bottom right side that lowered it onto the ground, but I'll work on that part. I'm still working on a few things.

Pretty sure there's already a fangame called Sonic the Hedgehog: Emerald Chaos. The fangame names I prefer are the ones with interesting words like Nexus and Axiom. I'd recommend something like Sonic Vex.

Then I must find a new one! The title screen isn't too fancy. It just uses the winged ring with the banner, but instead of stars, the 7

emeralds are there. EDIT: How about this name: Sonic Epsilon?

But now I must ask, as you didn't comment on it, but what do you think of the Boss?

Boredom + Donkey Kong Country Returns + Sonic Worlds

=

s94UA.png

aDl1L.png

I was actually planning on make something more better looking, dark a little the pallete of Sonic (or maybe let the color of the shoes, like DKC:R did with the red stuff on the characters) and the foreground and make some kinda of vintage filter. But I'm too lazy for that.

Well sparks, since it's smoke it has some transparency, that explains the "Light source"... The idea was to make exactly like DKC:R on Sunset Shore. It didn't had any light source, nothing, was exactly like this (a lil' bit more beauty, but that's it). :P

Also, don't take it serious, I was just bored.

Alright, might as well throw up an image of my current game idea, which I'm prototyping in Construct Classic while I wait for Construct 2 to reach the right level of features I need for it.

TowerDefense1.png

Yes, it's a side-scrolling platformer tower-defense game. All the visuals are placeholder, really. Heavily inspired by Sanctum, Defense Grid: The Awakening and that old RTS game, Stronghold. Aside from enemies and turrets, as per typical of the genre:

- The player himself can attack enemies using a whip-like weapon, in eight directions similar to Super Castlevania IV.

- An additional layer of defense - walls, moats and traps. Walls are, obviously, obstructions that can be eventually beaten down, moats slow down enemies and damage them gradually (they can be upgraded from water moats to acid and lava), and traps include spike traps, mines, pots that dump water/acid/lava on top of enemies, and more.

- Mana is required for making/upgrading turrets. Material is for walls, moats and traps.

Once I've implemented a satisfactory number of enemies/turrets/traps, I'll put out a prototype demo to get opinions.

@Candescence This reminds me of Plants vs. Zombies. Gonna wait for your prototype.

I like this kind of effect. Planned once on making something like this but I didn't want to go on. A sparks said, making lighting a bit better could be of some use. Is this going into the colab?