A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

T-N-BPitch06_zps17331746.pngT-N-BPitch05_zpsa35cf77c.pngT-N-BPitch04_zpsd06b6d15.pngT-N-BPitch03_zpsef6c779b.png

I know the screen size needs to be bigger for a platformer/beat em up. I'll make a topic when I find someone who wants to sprite a fighting game.

Increasing the screen size is good, but I feel like you should also adjust the camera. Perharps moving it up a bit.

Sad days. RIP non-hazard suit Beta. lol, but It's looking really good so far and I really like the look of the text-boxes even though it's simple. Good job! (Maybe suit-less Beta will be unlockable? I know that she'll occasionally not have the suit on, but my preference is no suit ever)

I'm sad about the hazmat suit too, I like her previous design way more than this but it just doesn't fit in with the setting of the game anymore and had to be changed. Her suit design is rushed right now just to meet deadlines for school (I have to have a very short but quality demo done in like 2 weeks sooooo decisions had to be made) but I will go back and make it more visually appealing and unique and cool looking when I have the time so she actually has character and charm rather than a faceless suit. I've entertained the idea of having her suitless as an unlockable for beating the game, but that's a decision I'll make near the end of development. Thanks though on the text boxes, I made them on the fly in like 15 seconds lol

• Like 1

I remember it before it even got on spriters resource back when Mystical Forest Zone actually had a community. I used to be part of said community and remember seeing skylight's sheet slowly come together and eventually get submitted to the MFZ site. I think he had a game too that used those sprites, was actually pretty good. Can't remember what it was called though.

So yeah Neo_Fire I hope you're properly crediting everyone for the pixel art cause I haven't seen a single original sprite in your game yet.

I remember it before it even got on spriters resource back when Mystical Forest Zone actually had a community. I used to be part of said community and remember seeing skylight's sheet slowly come together and eventually get submitted to the MFZ site. I think he had a game too that used those sprites, was actually pretty good. Can't remember what it was called though.

So yeah Neo_Fire I hope you're properly crediting everyone for the pixel art cause I haven't seen a single original sprite in your game yet.

anything original is the edited stages or the fancharacters, but I've made alot of the sprites that are used.

most of the stages are either edited versions of original levels in sonic, or sonic rom hacks for ex

Fbz7esO.png

Spectra Valley Zone from The S Factor: Sonia and Silver

adWBmFt.png

Robotic Ruin Zone from Sonic 2 Advanced Edit

but there are also original stages like this

ZQxZfSP.png

But if your worried about the crediting the authors that will be easy :P

7a12a9ceb784e604e4ed1ab15358f21f-d7i241d

TheValeev, marvinvalentin07 and goncas23 is currently working on remake of Sonic Generations(Sonic Generations fan game)! This is first screenshots from technical demo, where you can see progress of Results Screen and of some gimmicks. We will upload more screenshots for every week, and hopefully we can upload first demo to SAGExpo Act 2. Enjoy!

Edited by thevaleev
  • Like 5

7a12a9ceb784e604e4ed1ab15358f21f-d7i241d

TheValeev, marvinvalentin07 and goncas23 is currently working on pretty cute remake of Sonic Generations! This is first screenshots from technical demo, where you can see progress of Results Screen and of some gimmicks. We will upload more screenshots for every week, and hopefully we can upload first demo to SAGExpo Act 2. Enjoy!

This does look pretty cute. I've played one of Marvin's games before and it wasn't too good. He didn't seem to take criticism well either, so hopefully he's better to work with than my past interactions were with him.

So I assume there's a classic and modern style of play right? Please tell me you guys are doing the modern gameplay after the Sonic Rush style rather than the 2D "modern" style that everyone seems to think is a good idea of game design?

I've played one of Marvin's games before and it wasn't too good. He didn't seem to take criticism well either, so hopefully he's better to work with than my past interactions were with him.

It's all because he's not good in English too and also he's not so good in Game Maker(at least, his first game engine looked pretty messed).

So I assume there's a classic and modern style of play right? Please tell me you guys are doing the modern gameplay after the Sonic Rush style rather than the 2D "modern" style that everyone seems to think is a good idea of game design?

As I understood that Sonic Rush gameplay is quite fitting for 2D-Modern style games, we decided to stick to this gameplay. But we want to use elements from last Modern style games too, like Wisps, Ramps, Pulleys, Four-way Cannons and many others.

• Like 1

It's all because he's not good in English too and also he's not so good in Game Maker(at least, his first game engine looked pretty messed).

As I understood that Sonic Rush gameplay is quite fitting for 2D-Modern style games, we decided to stick to this gameplay. But we want to use elements from last Modern style games too, like Wisps, Ramps, Pulleys, Four-way Cannons and many others.

Sounds good. As long as you put thought into what mechanics you picked and leave out the stuff that barely works well in 2D like quickstep areas, sky diving areas, and dash rings. And please god no more QTEs, do something better than that.

Hmm... considering that you're using sprites from the portable games, how about remakes of the Game Gear, Advance, and Rush levels? So that you could make something different for a Generations fan game.

Edited by Briraka
  • Like 4

Hmm... considering that you're using sprites from the portable games, how about remakes of the Game Gear, Advance, and Rush levels? So that you could make something different for a Generations fan game.

I'm don't mind to try it, but Marvin and Goncas are bosses. I'll discuss about it with them anyway.

Seems pretty pointless to remake a game that was essentially a remake on steroids. It's kind of like if the remade the Pokemon remakes, only it'd be crappy.

I think that it's all about me, I just like to name it "Remake", but I'm not sure that game will be actual remake.

Edited by thevaleev

Indeed. Unifying the visual assets is something that should be pretty high on your priority list due to the absurd amount of clashing between styles that's going on.

honestly the only high things on my priority list are getting the last 2 characters for sure, and spriting 2 other characters.

Yeah, considering the 3DS version of Generations was supposed to represent Sonic's handheld history, we need 3 new eras: Game Gear (Bridge, Sleeping Egg and Sunset Park), Advance (Secret Base, Music Plant and Twinkle Snow) and "DS" (Leaf Storm, Plant Kingdom and Desert Ruins).

This is currently in the works, but on a bigger scale. It is being tied in with another major project as well.

EDIT: Although it will be some time before you see anything from it. That's all I'm willing to say right now. (Unless some people would like to help, pm me if you do)

Edited by LiBi (JoeyD)

Sonic Generations was an official fangame by Sega, of when people still actually liked sonic. I really don't see the point of emulating the concept in a fangame when we basically do the same thing...with ripped graphics.

I dont think sonic fangaming really gets any good inspiration from Sega anymore.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

Welp as of typing this I've finished up the build for ESTATE that I need for my school finals so that's one milestone passed. I'm going to be taking a few days off of working on it to just have fun and relax after the hell of finals has passed but then its right back to work. Here's a shot of the game as it currently is, with super hasty redesign of Beta that I'll give more time too soon.

bandicam_2014_05_20_00_45_18_904.png

I'm sending this build out to testers as well so if you've ever tested the game in the past, please make sure your pm boxes aren't full please.

ESTATE isn't the only game making progress however:

bandicam_2014_05_20_01_17_17_498.png

Notice some changes?

• Like 4